PDA

View Full Version : Nobel Prize for Jimmy Carter

CJ01
12-11-2002, 02:35 PM
Not sure anyone´s mentioned this yet:
What do you guys think about Carter recieving the Nobel Prize? I caught a few minutes of an interview with him on BBC World. I would just like peoples thoughts, especially our US friends. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif
CJ ( who´s kind of pissed by now)

Whitehall
12-11-2002, 04:00 PM
Jimmy Carter was the biggest failure of the US electorial system in our nation\'s history. He snowed everyone and proved to be an huge and embarassing failure as a president. He combined the largest possible degree of Wilsonian fantasy with an appalling lack of executive and political skill - impossible goals with incompetent tactics.

Since he left office, he\'s essentially spent his political capital on working against sitting presidents in world affairs and has become a paid representative of the Saudis and other foreign interests. (The Saudis largely payed for the \"Carter Center.\")

The most recent exposure of his failure to understand human nature was the North Korean nuclear agreement. What a sucker he was to believe that the North Koreans would forego nuclear weapons without verification. That crisis will prove more damaging than Iraq.

We won\'t even discuss his kissing up to Castro.

I can certainly understand why other countries that want to take the US down a notch or two would love to see the US voter elect more like him. The message of the Nobel Peace Prize this year is that the Norwegian committee likes losers.

Sorry, we\'re not likely to make that mistake again.

tounge
12-11-2002, 07:04 PM
Agree with Whitehall. Also, he was beaten in the most lopsided defeat for a sitting President by Reagan. That should give you an idea of how awful a leader he was.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-11-2002, 08:43 PM
See, this is the thing about having someone in office who doesn\'t understand the power games and how to get around. Jimmy Carter I\'m sure is one of the nicest men you\'ll ever meet, but that and $4.00 will buy you a latte...

upsidedown
12-11-2002, 09:05 PM
Somebody refresh my mind. I can\'t even recall what Mr. Carter is suppesed to have done to receive the Nobel Prize. It seems like I heard the reason but it didn\'t stick with me.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-11-2002, 09:20 PM
If you do a search on google, \"carter nobel,\" about three references down there\'s a CNN one that has the complete text of the sitation, if you\'re interested. \"decades of untiring effort to find peaceful solutions to international conflicts, to advance democracy and human rights and to promote economic and social development.\" Then it mentions specifically that his efforts regarding the Camp David accords were enough in themselves to merit the Nobel. Then a bunch of stuff about what a stand up guy he is for human rights and peaceful conflict resolution.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-11-2002, 11:52 PM
Jimmy Carter showed us that with the right heart and dedication, anybody can become the President of the U.S. Remember, he was a lowly peanut farmer from the state of Georgia.

Whitehall
12-12-2002, 08:58 AM
Good for Carter.

Once he got into office, he taught the American people to be more careful for whom they vote.

I\'m sure Carter is a wonderful fellow and would make an inspiring preacher but as a political leader he was a failure and the US and the world paid a high price for it.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-12-2002, 04:54 PM
Yeah, whatever got into the American people to vote him into office? Oh, I remember... Wasn\'t much of a choice of quality candidates for Prez.

Gerund
12-12-2002, 05:05 PM
Carter got into office as a result of WaterGate backlash. The main theme of his campaign was, \"I\'ll never lie to you.\"

At that particular point in history, Alfred E. Neuman could have got elected President using that theme~