PDA

View Full Version : bleedin gums

khan
11-29-2002, 10:14 AM
hi there past coupe of days my gums have been bleeding a lot and know their starting to hurt a lot, i brush my teeth regularly and dont eat so much sugary foods so im not sure what the problem is. i am not taking ne supplements so does anyone know could it be i am lacking in some sort of vitamin deficiency or something, or does anyone know any good remedies or mouth washes to use, i have to wait 2 weeks for the dentist appointment

any help would be much appreciated

many thanks

ck

**DONOTDELETE**
11-29-2002, 10:23 AM
Start vitamin C at 1000 milligrams every four hours. Avoid aspirin.Call your dentist and tell her what\'s going on and see if she can get you in early or call you if there is a cancellation. You may have vitamin deficiency but you may have gingivitis, which is common, and will cause your gums to bleed when you brush. Your hygenist will be able to tell you what to do about it.

druid
11-29-2002, 10:43 AM
sounds like it could be scurvy -- which is really just a vitiam C deficiny -- starting taking the vit c like FTR says. DEF SEE A DENTIST ASAP.

Whitehall
11-29-2002, 10:51 AM
Check out a supplement called CoQ-10. It works wonders on the gums. I\'ve tried for other purposes and my gums got into much better condition.

MaxiMog
11-29-2002, 12:02 PM
I feel like I need to disagree on this.

I have experienced bleeding gums as well (though not very bad at all) and eating more fruits solved the problem very quickly.

What I want to say is: DO NOT TAKE VITAMINS IN A CONCENTRATION THAT IS MORE THAN 15 TIMES WHAT YOU NEED A DAY! 1000 mg? That\'s 16 times what you need a day (60 mg). Taking it every four hours? Say your day lasts 16 hours, that\'d mean you\'d have taken 4000 mg in one day. (66 times the recommended dose a day).

Vitamin deficiency is not recommended, but the opposite ain\'t all that good either. If you were to do that with Vitamin A while you are pregnant, you\'d have a miscarriage for sure. I\'m sure other vitamins and minerals can have similar effects in way too large doses (lead poisoning with the romans, iron poisoning, ...)

My recommendation is to eat more fruits and take supplements if you like, but at a low level (e.g. one cap of about 60 mg a day).

Really, if you only need 60 mg a day, there\'s no way you should take as much as 1000 mg four times a day. I\'m no expert in the field of vitamins and minerals, but that\'s just not right IMO. If you could tell me a reason why it\'s good, please tell me as I\'m really dying to know.

\"Avoid aspirin\": aspirin should be taken when you\'ve got a headache or pain of some sort (anf even then...). I\'m no drug or medicine addict and always advise people not to start taking some whenever they feel like they\'re getting sick or in pain. Only a few weeks ago, I felt some major pain somewhere inside near the bottom of my lungs which was there for quite a while. I could\'ve gone to the doctor, but didn\'t. The result: the pain lasted longer, but at least I didn\'t have to take grugs of whatever kind. There\'s not one trace of evidence that I had that kind of pain left. I also think it will be a lot harder for me to get \"sick\" again this winter.

khan
11-29-2002, 01:04 PM
thank u ever1 for the advice, i will start taking vit c as i smoke so i think i need plenty ne way and i havent eaten ne fruit for a couple of weeks so i will start on that

thank again

ck

**DONOTDELETE**
11-29-2002, 01:05 PM
MaxiMog, vitamin C is water soluble. If you take more than your body wants, you just excrete the rest. A couple days of very high C intake won\'t hurt him a bit. And aspirin thins your blood and you shouldn\'t take it if you\'re bleeding.

The advice to eat fruits and vegetables is good for after the situation is under control.

Read nutritionist Adele Davis on vitamin supplements if you want my backup. I\'ve \"cured\" more people of colds with the 1000 milligrams every four hours than you can believe. It often works in 24 hours.

Fat soluble vitamins (A, E, D, etc.) and many minerals should be taken with care because they do build up in your body and excessive dosage can be toxic. Vitamin C just passes through and comes out in your urine. It won\'t hurt and it could help.

MaxiMog
11-29-2002, 01:19 PM
Many thanks for the good explanations, FTR! /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif I\'m glad you were able to give me some backup on that. Though I still think 1000 mg four times a day is still a bit much. I mean, if you only need 60 mg a day (more because you\'re a smoker) then there\'s no need to flush 700 mg through your body needlessly with each cap.

Khan, the choice is up to you! Still, my advise would be to stop taking caps with whatever dose once the problem is over and start eating more fruits. It\'s always best to get essential nutrients from your diet, I think anyone will agree on that.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-29-2002, 01:31 PM
Sure. Here\'s a link

http://www.egregore.com/diseases/periodontaldisease.html (\"http://www.egregore.com/diseases/periodontaldisease.html\")

that recommends 4,000 to 10,000 mg per day of C for gingivitis, along with Coenzyme Q10, which is new information to me, thanks Whitehall.

Vitamin C is very fragile - exposure to heat or sunlight destroys it, and it\'s easily depleted in our bodies even from stress. It\'s hard to get enough - 60mg is just enough to keep your body from getting scurvy. It\'s hardly a gracious plenty.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-29-2002, 07:10 PM
argh yar scurvey dogs, if you be suff\'rin dar bleedin\' gums yar need only be suckin\' on a lime a few times purr day. dat\'ll fix ya right up m\'boy. either that or let yer teefs rot out ahh yer head an den you don\'t need to pay no worry to them ever again. \'course y\'all only eat mush thereafter.
The Captain has spoken....

sophie
11-29-2002, 07:59 PM
limes go great with gin and tonic... seriously, COQ10 and Vit C are a great fixer upper (COQ10 is great, for many purposes, including cardiovascular health, though a little expensive). 1000mg Vit C is not excessive in the least. Linus Pauling, the great Vit C advocate, lived into his nineties,and took massive quanitities of C. He had all sorts of claims about Vit C and it is a very valuable nutrient, in supplemental doses, for many purposes, gums included.

druid
11-29-2002, 08:02 PM
well if you really want to do something for your health STOP SMOKING. It is cheaper, healthier, and makes you stop smelling like the smoke stack at a phillip morris factory /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif.

Fruits esp oranges and tanigernies are great sources of vit. c. Juice is also (esp OJ and V8 spalsh) but they come with LOTS of sugars.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-29-2002, 08:22 PM
Does it count if you use V8 in a bloody mary mix? I could get tanked and still be doing good for my body /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif
smoking is a nasty foul habit.... I need to quit myself.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-30-2002, 12:10 AM
khan,

for long term dental health, you might also want to consider flossing everytime you brush (at least twice a day) and rinsing with listerine.

brushing your teeth simply is not enough. plenty of food gets lodged between your teeth and the bacteria needs to be killed. if you floss make sure you brush then floss.

my brother had gum disease, very serious. his dentist advised him to have gum surgery. they wanted to cut off half his gum line. he did like you did. only brushed. i convinced him to brush twice a day, floss and use listerine for at least the recommended amount of time before he underwent irreversible surgey. after about 1 week his gums started bleeding less. after 3 weeks his gum stopped bleeding period.

one final thing. when you rinse with listerine you will notice that most of the listerine stays on the bottom half of your mouth. splashing it upwards works ok but more is needed. after you rinse for ~15 to 20 seconds, i would suggest you lean over and tilt your head forward so the you can feel the listerine soaking your upper teeth. by doing this he was able to completely eliminate gum disease from upper and lower gums.

fiddler

**DONOTDELETE**
11-30-2002, 12:11 AM
Ya know, actually the V8 would do a lot of good, if it is a daily thing. Just make sure the amount of alcohol doesn\'t negate the health benefits.

I am not sure how to address everyone and so I will just state my opinion here.

I am very fascinated to find this thread as I am in the medical field and take a personal interest in preventive maintenance. FTR and Sophie are absolutely correct about advising large doses of Vitamin C.

For those of you that believe in taking just the RDA of Vitamin C, sure, 60 mg/day will prevent scurvy BUT as Linus Pauling who won a Nobel Prize for his work showed, it is not enough to prevent allergies, accelerate getting rid of the common cold, or reduce soreness after exercise, to name a few things.

In general, I take 1000 mg Vitamin C twice a day. Then, if I feel a cold coming on, I start taking 2-3 grams every 4-6 hrs. Yes, I realize that can add up to 12 gms of Vitamin C but the body will just suck this up and use it if it needs to. The rest WILL be excreted in the urine. This usually results in my completely recovering by the next morning.

You can actually decide how much Vitamin C your body needs by a simple test: Keep increasing the daily dosage by a gram or two until you start getting diarrhea(sorry for mentioning something so unpleasant). Anyway, then reduce the dose by a gram or two and that is the amount your body requires.

Decide for yourself if you would rather have \"expensive piss\" and be in good health, or get sick all the time and provide the next car payment for your doctor.

In addition to taking the vitamin C, gargle with salt water a couple times a day. This firms up the gums and guards against gingivitis. Also, try dry brushing a few times. This is where you first brush the teeth and the gums gently without toothpaste and without wetting the toothbrush.

By the way, I hope you DO floss on a regular basis. Bleeding gums certainly does suggest gingivitis. The dentist can say for sure what is going on.

khan
11-30-2002, 02:04 AM
thanks again every1 for the advice, iv\'e been takin vict c regularly and the bleedin is less. yes i do floss regurlarly and i have bought listerine and i am going to use that on a regular basis as well. I will buy a softer toothbrush as my old one was a bit hard and i think it was a bit rough on the gums.. Even though im english i think i do take pretty good care of my teeth and they r pretty white as well!

Whitehall
12-02-2002, 12:50 PM
Taking my own advice, when I noticed a small sore on the inside of my mouth Friday afternoon, I picked up a bottle of CoQ10 Saturday morning. Sunday, the sore was shrinking and after 48 hours, Monday am, its gone.

The gums and mucous linings of your mouth are fast to regenerate since the cells are continually sluffing off. CoQ10 seems to be especially helpful for cells that work hard and/or regenerate quickly (a form of hard work.)

**DONOTDELETE**
12-02-2002, 01:18 PM
I believe you. I\'m scrupulous about my teeth, brush within 20 minutes of eating and floss twice a day, have them cleaned twice a year -- and still had some gingivitis last time I went to the hygenist. DAMMIT! I\'ve been doing C and CoQ10 for the past six months and hope it will help, we\'ll see in Feb, next check up.

Glad to hear the bleeding slowed down, anyway.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-03-2002, 07:46 PM
FTR,

i would definitely suggest the listerine. you will be surprised at how much it helps. my brother used to have dragon breath in the morning. he doesn\'t anymore and this is before brushing.

i know it tastes nasty but it\'s the only thing that i found that kills bacteria by the bucket load.

fiddler

Mtnjim
12-04-2002, 10:26 AM
A long time ago, it had a list of uses printed on the package. Among them were disinfecting wounds and toilets!!
The FDA made them stop listing most of the claims

tounge
12-04-2002, 10:47 AM
Wouldn\'t the flavored Listerine work just as well as the original?

**DONOTDELETE**
12-04-2002, 01:45 PM
Let me share something that I have learned about Vitamin C. For many people, in order for vitamin C to be fully effective, they also need to take enough bioflavonoids. The recommended dosage is 7:10 ratio of bioflavonoids to vitamin C. That is for every 100mg of Vit.C you should take 70mg of bioflavonoids. Some examples of bioflavonoids are HESPERIDIN, RUTIN, and QUERCETIN.

There was a study done on patients with scurvey who were given Vitamin C and several did not respond to the Vit. C treatment until they also administered bioflavonoids.

I personally have been taking quercetin along with my other vitamins as it is also supposed to have a natural antihistamine effect. Great for colds too.

Ponderer

**DONOTDELETE**
12-04-2002, 02:01 PM
yes, but they taste just as nasty as the original with a mint flavor. Not a whole lot of improvement but it is an anti-septic. it\'s not suppose to taste good!

fiddler

Mtnjim
12-04-2002, 02:24 PM
\"but it is an anti-septic. it\'s not suppose to taste good\"

I don\'t know, honey is one of the most powerful antiseptics known and it doesn\'t taste so bad. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif