PDA

View Full Version : Home schooling is illegal now???

**DONOTDELETE**
11-22-2002, 01:05 PM
Since current posts have touched on the lack of education in our school system I thought I would put this out there.
Personally I wouldn\'t home-school my kids (when I have some) unless I was out cruising the oceans. But I think it is a perfectly viable alternative to our degrading public school system. Anyhow, I found this article and got pretty miffed by the idea that a truant officer is threatening to take apart a family for their method of educating their kids.
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=29751 (\"http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=29751\")

belgareth
11-23-2002, 08:49 AM
Sounds to me like this clown got a thorn up his butt and needs something more to occupy his free time. Maybe they could put him to picking up litter along the highway. He might look good in an orange suit.

In other words. it sounds like a clear cut case of an officious official exceeding his authority.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-24-2002, 07:54 AM
I just got around to reading the article. My understanding of the home schooling thing is that at least quartery, a school official is supposed to review instructional materials and make sure that all the subjects that are supposed to be taught are being taught, and that the children can perform at grade level. I believe this is the way it\'s supposed to work. The truant officer was not exceeding his authority but he sure was being a dick about it. It sounds like the parents weren\'t aware of all the requirements for home schooling in their city. It generally is not allowed completely unsupervised.

And the first thing you\'re taught in Education courses is, \"The purpose of the schools is to socialize the young.\" Socialization is a big word amoung educational theorists.

EXIT63
11-24-2002, 08:03 AM
...And the first thing you\'re taught in Education courses is, \"The purpose of the schools is to socialize the young.\" Socialization is a big word amoung educational theorists...

Socialization...What the really mean is indoctrination.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-24-2002, 08:29 AM
Yes, of course. I mean, be real. The school system is a branch of the government.