PDA

View Full Version : ZMA

xxxPantero
11-09-2002, 06:42 AM
hey guys, for those who workout, and use ZMA

it actually was working, giving me an ultra-fast recovery period, vivid dreams, and etc.
unfortunately, EVERYTHING that the label said it would do came true, including the side effect of acne, due to the increased testosterone-like effects /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif i was hoping maybe i would get lucky, but alas, that\'s the side-effect

/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

but for those of you who don\'t have a problem with having a bit of acne, and want to workout a lot, ZMAis the way to go it seems

**DONOTDELETE**
11-10-2002, 06:38 AM
I\'ve heard about ZMA and plan to look into it when I get back into working out.

-The Bat

Bruce
11-10-2002, 09:53 AM
I think Whitehall was telling me about this stuff a while ago but never ran accross it. I just did a little search for it now and it looks like it is worth checking out. Here is a page with a lot of info on it and what seems to be a good deal.
https://www.Immunesupport.com/shop/product.cfm?product__code=PH164 (\"https://www.Immunesupport.com/shop/product.cfm?product__code=PH164\")

Anyone know of any better deals/quality on this stuff?

Bruce

druid
11-10-2002, 04:17 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/zma.html (\"http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/zma.html\")

MAJORSOB
11-11-2002, 12:33 AM
I have used Z-mass PM for months and can really see the benefits..not to mention it helps with sleep like no other..for the money it\'s worth it.

Bruce
11-11-2002, 08:30 AM
I just ordered some at vitaminshoppe.com. Their house brand was less than $14. for 90 caps. The formula is a little different from the one I posted above. I might see if I can get some at a local health food store. I am anxious to try it.
Thanks for starting the thread,
Bruce

proteus
11-11-2002, 09:40 AM
I\'m curious, what results are you seeing from using ZMA?

MAJORSOB
11-11-2002, 09:49 AM
The most notable are strength gains and quicker recover times..the side effect of deep restful sleep was a nice benefit too as i tend to be an insomniac ..

proteus
11-11-2002, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the info - might try it since I workout a lot and also an insomniac

Bruce
11-11-2002, 12:34 PM
Anybody ever see this stuff in a normal health food shop? Or do you have to buy it mailorder?
Bruce

**DONOTDELETE**
11-11-2002, 12:37 PM
Is it only for men?

Whitehall
11-11-2002, 01:03 PM
I\'ve used ZMA and found it a good deal - effective, few side effects, and low cost. The theory is that these minerals are necessary for the enzmes that are involved in testosterone production and conversion. Take three capsules before bed with water.

As to a woman taking it, if she already had high testosterone she might be headed someplace she really doesn\'t want to go. But, yes, the enzymes are the same in men and women but there might be other rate-limiting conditions in women. The suppliers seem to think that women should buy their product too.

I\'ve seen this stuff under various brands in health food stores, on the net, in bodybuilders stores, and even at the drug store. It\'s all the same stuff so decide on price.

proteus
11-11-2002, 01:37 PM
I\'ve seen it at the vitaminshoppe retail store I go to here in NY but just never tried it so I\'m sure they must have it if they have retail stores where you are.

druid
11-11-2002, 02:37 PM
does it matter if it is a particluar formation of ZMA? I take a couple of other supplements that combine to form simialar dosages of zinc, mg, and B6. They are in my glucosaime supplement and some other supplement I have.(which does not contain calicum -- which I heard can interfear with absorbation).

Whitehall
11-11-2002, 03:10 PM
The \"A\" in \"ZMA\" is for asparate or somesuch - it is important to assure assimilation. The three caps in a dose is because you need a hefty amount of what are essentially mineral salts. I wouldn\'t expect other mixes to work as well.

druid
11-11-2002, 03:29 PM
thanks.

MAJORSOB
11-12-2002, 02:37 AM
I know quite a few ladies who take ZMA with no side effects and swear by it...the break down for women is zinc=23mg magnesium=338mg ..

druid
11-12-2002, 01:20 PM
i don\'t think most women should worry about a 30% increase in test levels (which is probably the figure for males -- who knows what it is for females). When women take massive amounts of hormones then the increse becomes huge enough for masculaztion.

Bruce
11-12-2002, 03:25 PM
The ZMA labels I read recommend 3 caps (all together at bed time) for men, 2 for females.

Women naturally have quite a bit of testosterone in their blood too. It is the controller of libido in both men and women. Women who feel they are a little low in the libido department might want to talk to a doctor (who belives in natural treatments) about something like ZMA on a regular basis. It could also be something you save for those romantic moments. If is shoots your T level up so well, it might be good to get you \"in the mood.\"
Bruce

Watcher
11-25-2002, 12:01 AM
Wanna sell it through love-scent at all. I know you touched on it a while back, could make it available for forum members only or something.

Bruce
11-25-2002, 07:33 AM
Watcher,
It has long been a dream of mine to put together a health/longevity website. Not sure when/if I\'ll ever get to it, but maybe a good step in the right direction would be to add some romance oriented supplements like ZMA.
Thanks,
Bruce

Watcher
11-25-2002, 08:30 PM
Could do as a tie in with the herbal supplements of delightfully intimate. It would be probably better to keep the main focus on the pheromones but you could expand it on the side.

Bruce
12-02-2002, 08:39 AM
Got some ZMA from Vitaminshoppe and been taking it every night for about a week. Sleeping MUCH better than normal. Normally, I wake up once every night, take a piss and often need a few mgs of melotonin and an hour at the computer to get sleepy again. So far with the ZMA I sleep straight through or get up briefly in a daze and immediately crash out again.
Bruce

wrt2k
12-08-2002, 05:51 PM
Yeah I have heard good things about ZMA. I haven\'t gone down that road yet. But another way to boost T is to use Tribex-500, from Biotest. This elevated my T levels, and gave me some acne too.

CptKipling
12-18-2002, 09:29 AM
A bit of an odd question i know but, what the hell.

Would taking ZMA help the general health of an elderly man (around 75). He is suffering from sleeplessness, weakness... I\'m just wondering if it might be bad for him in some way.

Bruce
12-18-2002, 09:54 AM
Find a doctor that knows something about longevity stuff. My guess is that I will be taking it when I am that age. Melatonine might be a good idea. There are quite a few good books on that supplement on the shelves.
Bruce

CptKipling
12-18-2002, 01:22 PM
Thanks Bruce, I\'ll get inquiring.

Before I go, is there anyone with a bit of a background in medicine that has any input? Thanks.

druid
12-18-2002, 03:24 PM
Well captin the ZMA will could boost his test levels, so the question is is that bad for him. In my opinion (I am not an expert -- this is based on a very general understanding of the subject) but I don\'t think it would hurt him. In fact it would probably help. Most of what we consider aging is really just a decline in muscle which is really just a decline in anabolic hormones (the main one being test). Test. will decline in men as they age if they don\'t exercise (esp weight lifting) but this not really a viable alternative for elderly people because of medical complications (such as joint problems). But recently I saw on a local news broadcast there was this medical study conducted and some elderly women (60\'s I think) were put on a moderate \"weight resistence\" (a combo of pulleys, free weights, and machines) and they all made sizable improvements. Their bone density increased (reducing their risk for osteoprosis), muscle strength incresed, baclance, etc.

PS- On a side note, I would like to say this ZMA stuff WORKS!!!! I have been taking it (I also take some glucosamine/chonrdotin tablets, twinlab brand -- which also has good amount of zinc and magnesium -- combining that with the ZMA tablets I end up a with a good dose of this). I have always sleep well, but my muscle soreness is going down a lot faster. Last night I did my arms (tri\'s, bi\'s, and forearms), and usually my arms would be sore for a little less than 2 days. Well they are barely sore now. Usually the fatigue would have set in this morning and my arms would be on fire right now. But they only get sore when I flex them, and it is not even that much. And I pushed my arms hard like I always do. I have noticed similar reapid healing in other body parts -- like chest.

CptKipling
12-20-2002, 06:15 AM
Thanks druid.

I think now my only concern would be extra estrogen conversion.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-23-2002, 07:21 PM
Any idea why you are supposed to take this before bedtime? Does it make you drowsy?

druid
12-23-2002, 08:14 PM
I would guess that because most of your muscle growth occurs at night while sleeping, so that is when your body will be using the ZMA in the production of test (ie that is when you need the raw ingredents for test -- and ZMA are some of those ingredents).

**DONOTDELETE**
12-24-2002, 09:29 PM
Does that mean you should excercise and stuff in order for this stuff to work best?

druid
12-25-2002, 07:42 PM
yeah. I mean small muscle tears (which weight lifting induces) is the stimulas for muscle growth (when the tear heals it gets bigger, there being able to withstand future onslaughts of the same stress).

MAL224610
02-01-2003, 06:55 PM
Bruce, when it comes to items I shop 3 main channels.
When doing research and need bulk kilos
www.kilosport.com (\"http://www.kilosport.com\")
When looking for good price/ultra quality
www.beyond-a-century.com (\"http://www.beyond-a-century.com\") (mainly for me uses)
When looking for sports, not normally carried by the other two.
www.1fast400.com (\"http://www.1fast400.com\")

ZMa should be tops of any guys list.
Both minerals play a role in cytochrome-P450 enzymatic activity, increasing clearance of circulating estrogens.
By lowering E levels you can Boost the bodies ability to raise T. On top of that zinc in general is good for test production as a mineral supporting enzymes to produce(again same pathway). On the opposite end Mag is wonderful for nerves and bowel function as secondary effects. Magnesium Citrate is the form I use in a powder mix. Really good for calming nervous tension. Magnesium also activates calcium....However Calcium inhibits Zinc absorption. To boot, Calcium levels go to high its toxic(many people DON\'T know this part).

This is just a small part of what you can do with ZMA, the calming properties of magnesium - improved sleep = improved recovery.

Mike

Buddydust
05-19-2003, 10:47 PM
I\'m thinking about trying ZMA but what are the effects if I don\'t lift weights?Also,is it safe to take it if I\'m in my 20\'s?

CptKipling
05-21-2003, 08:07 AM
It\'s fully safe for any age, all it does is maximise your own natural T producing potential.

Cloud9
05-21-2003, 11:47 AM
Syntrax discount products (\"http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/syn/syn.htm\") check out Aromazap and FUZU for boosting your own natural pheromone production...it will boost it more than ZMA alone naturally.

MOBLEYC57
05-21-2003, 12:57 PM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
Syntrax discount products (\"http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/syn/syn.htm\") check out Aromazap and FUZU for boosting your own natural pheromone production...it will boost it more than ZMA alone naturally.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

9 - I just checked the prices on the products that I normally order, and DPS Nutrition is much cheaper. The only difference is that Muscle.com\'s shipping is cheaper, but it doesn\'t make up for the prices. DPS\'s Muscle Milk runs for 19.99, Muscle.com\'s 24.99: DPS\'s Dimaxx Creatine\'s 39.99, Muscle.com\'s 54.99. DPS\'s shipping is 4.95 UPS for everything under 5 or 10 pounds, can\'t remember. Anyway, you may want to check DPS out, could save you a buck or two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kifer85
05-21-2003, 02:51 PM
hey, i asked some questions about ZMA a few weeks ago, but forgot to ask this: what if I am already getting magnesium, zinc, and B complex from a multivitimin? Mine\'s a long acting, slow release with 100% DV (15mg) of Zinc through Zinc Sulfate, and 25% (100mg)of magnesium through magnesium oxide. Would it be overkill to supplement ZMA at night? There\'s only a small amount of calcium in the supplement, 50mg or 5%, so im probably getting relatively good absorbtion. What do you guys think?

Cloud9
05-21-2003, 08:15 PM
Try to get ZMA without Calcium, because calcium hinders the effectiveness of ZMA

Kifer85
05-21-2003, 08:40 PM
I understand that, but this is what I\'m aski

Would the effect of ZMA be simmilar to taking Zinc and Magnesium in large amounts through a multi-vitamin (see above), even though it is technically different from the standard ZMA formula? And if I\'m only getting a super-small dosage of calcium (5%), would absorbtion be significantly affected?

Cloud9
05-22-2003, 08:53 PM
the zinc and magnesium in seperate form is not the same as Zinc Magnesium Asparate(ZMA). ZMA is more effective at ellevating Test levels. A little calcium probably want hurt, but none at all would be better.

druid
05-26-2003, 05:02 PM
ZMA is da shzitnit. I take a multivitiam before and after I started using ZMA and there is a difference. ZMA is def. worth it.

Kifer85
05-26-2003, 08:24 PM
did you worry \'bout mag or zinc OD? I\'m not sure if i even need the stuff if im getting a lot already from my multivitamin. It has only 25% RDA mag but 100% zinc and 2500% B6 (extended release).

druid
05-27-2003, 12:54 PM
nope. since I started taking ZMA I have felt a lot better.

TBiRD
05-27-2003, 01:24 PM
--------------------------------------------------------

3. Who needs it and what are some symptoms of deficiency?

Any bodybuilder looking to gain strength, increase athletic performance, and muscle mass should consider taking ZMA. There have been many studies showing that most athletes are deficient in zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B-6. This is not a good thing for any athlete! The effect of zinc depletion on muscle function was tested on eight male subjects. This study demonstrated that muscle endurance, or total work capacity, declines rapidly with acute zinc depletion and the degree of the decline is correlated with the reduction in plasma zinc concentration. Many other studies show that after participating in regular intense exercise athletes\' levels of zinc and magnesium decreases deeply.

4. How much should be taken? Are there any side effects?

The dosage and proportion is very important. You can\'t just take a multi-vitamin to get these results. Most successful ZMA products have: Vitamin B6: 11mg, Magnesium: 450mg, Zinc: 30mg. This product is all-natural and there are no known side effects. It is safe for men and women.
---------------------------------------------------

I asked a friend of mine (who is a doctor) why and how this ZMA works and why it aids sleep. His answer was :
What works is not exactly the zinc or b6 , they are ONLY needed by the body if u don\'t get enaugh of these through your food.
Magnesium however is the magic ingredient. Or to say it better : A hefty magnesium OVERDOSE ! Ususally any normal man gets around 350 - 400mg magnesium through his daily food...with ZMA however u take a double or even a triple dose on top of your daily dosis = Overdose , sure u sleep much better , because you are almost in a coma state...wich is actually benificial for your body. YOu can\'t really over-overdose on magnesium because if have WAY too much of it , the body will get rid of it with your next toilet visit !

So basically...u CAN supplement zink and b6 with any cheap ass vitamin supplemet , and if u want to add ZMA-like effects , get your hands on lots of cheap magnesium and use it in similar OD amounts prior to sleep = 100% the same effect. ZMA products sure work , but they are a outragous in terms of cost !!!! WHy pay more if u can get the same ALOT cheaper...

MOBLEYC57
05-27-2003, 01:54 PM
T-Bird - ZMA is a lot cheaper at DPS Nutritions. Consuming all that Magnesium is not the same as taking ZMA. Remember...your friend said it was for a sound sleep. Annd, you\'ll be taking a lot of pills together instead of 3 or 4 from ZMA. Just a thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

druid
05-27-2003, 02:01 PM
i spend a lot more money on other supplements compared to ZMA.

TBiRD
05-27-2003, 03:25 PM
Ok just spend 2 hours tryng to fin the best magnesium available on the market , and accidently tripped over the info : The only ONLY ONLY magnesium that Really raises magnesium levels in blood (so u get the ZMA effect / faster regeneration better sleep) is organic magnesium , preferably and tested as the best = magnesiumcitrat !!!
Lucky me , cos its verrrrrry cheap here....All the other shizznit like magnesiumoxif WILL NOT HAVE ANY EFFECTS whatsoever because the body doesn\'t absorb it at all. I found this info on many sites with studys (german site,doctors) and also read about it on an open forum where people with a special illness (neverending muscle pain) are treated with Magnesium to calm the pain ...they reported , that when they took magnesiumoxif-type of products , magnesium levels in the blood dropped so they had to get back to needel injections , wich garuantee 100% absorbtion. Then sombody came up with magnesiumcitrat , wich was able to raise the levels just as good as the injections.

+ @ MObley ZMA\'s main working ingredient is the large amount of easy absorbable magnesium..nothing else ! Go get some cheap magnesiumcitrat powder take 2-3 teespoons of it for a good OD and experience exactly the same ZMA effect !!!

Keep in mind 1800 mg magnesiumcitrat equal 300mg magnesium

I get get 100gr magensiumcitrat for 6 euro @ the local \"Apotheke\". Best quality , cheapest price.

Sure its good to spice it up with vitamic C and extra zink...if needed...

+ Not all ZMA\'s products out there are the same...alot of them use magensiumoxid wich won\'t do [bad word] for yah, cos its not absorbed , so u just buy a placebo

CptKipling
05-29-2003, 04:39 AM
Taking zinc on its own has made a difference.

FYI, you should be taking 2x the RDA for zinc.