PDA

View Full Version : SP Essential Oils

krtel
10-31-2002, 10:29 AM
Hey I was wondering which if the SP oils that Bruce sells is acceptable on a guy. I know that musk & rose is. I also know that amber, vanilla, and jasmine are off limits for me since they are intended for women.

Let me know. Thanks.

- Krish

**DONOTDELETE**
10-31-2002, 10:35 AM
Amber and vanilla are not exclusively women\'s scents, and while some may consider jasmine to be, lots of men wear as well.

A quick search of men\'s colognes gives these results, just for example:

Yohji for Men
Eau de Toilette, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Coffee, Rum, Cinnamon, Licorice, Leather, Sweet Amber, Vanilla.

Versus for Men:
Fresh and vibrant Italian citrus top notes, on a heart of sweet flowers with an accord of woods, amber, vanilla and musk as its base.

(\"sweet flowers\" - jasmine?)

CJ01
10-31-2002, 12:08 PM
The question is not really what is for men or women. The thing that really matters is does it suit YOU. I´ve tried scents for instance that are meant for women but I can´t wear them at all. They either don´t suit me and some even smell masculine on me. Some guys wear vanilla and the Jasmine IR cologne is under the category `for men´ but I wear it myself and it´s nice. I´ve no idea what amber or juniper berry smell like so I can´t comment on those. CJ

MaxiMog
10-31-2002, 12:35 PM
Jasmine can be used by men, too. Look for Jasmine SAMBAC!

Elana
10-31-2002, 12:36 PM
Krish- If you have a health food store by you, go and try out some of the fragrances. They always carry Essential Oils.

camusflage
10-31-2002, 04:09 PM
Yohji is hardly as feminine as you may portray.. While yes, all those notes are in it, the Coffee is probably the most dominant one, the leather, cedar, and sandalwood scents are definitely let out to play. Yohji is definitely a male fragrance.

That being said, there are some, such as Lempicka au Masculin, A*Men, Rochas Man, Casran, and Animale Animale that include much softer notes. Lempicka includes Absinthe, aniseed, violet, vanilla, and rose. A*Men, well, it\'s very chocolatey, along with caramel, vanilla, coffee, and lavender. Call me weird, but I usually wear sweeter scents better than heavy or citrusy ones. It all comes down to skin type and personality though.

Even \"Man\'s Man\" colognes include soft scents. Old Spice includes orange, lemon, cinnamon, jasmine, vanilla, and benzoin. One of my current favorites, Chanel\'s Allure, despite having vanilla, jasmine, a strong amber note, is completely masculine.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-31-2002, 04:22 PM
Has anyone used Dr. Bronner\'s Peppermint soap (liquid)? I love the stuff (1001 uses) anyway I was thinking maybe it would work well as a cover scent/ or in a mix.....
I\'ll try it out after I test this King of the World hocus pocus.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-31-2002, 04:41 PM
Camusflage, I\'ve never smelled either cologne - just copied the description from a web site I pulled up on a google search \"amber vanilla\" and then looked for men\'s colognes. Was just trying to make the point, as you illustrated so well, that nothing in the scent world is exclusively male or female -- there\'s a blend of each in each. RR -- A drop of soap of any kind makes a good emulsifier for your mix, if you need one. I love Dr.Bonner\'s soap, too, if for nothing more than the entertainment of reading the lable, but I think you\'d do better with peppermint essential oil than to use Dr. B\'s soap for its scent. I\'ve mentioned Bath & Body works essential oils - they have a nice grapefruit peppermint -- those stores are all over the place in this area, at least, so that\'s readily available. Plain peppermint should be very easy to find as well - try your local health food store.

Mtnjim
10-31-2002, 04:43 PM
Not sure about soap. The scent usually goes quickly (wasn\'t designed to stay). OR, if you are thinking about puting it *into* a mix, I wouldn\'t want to leave soap on my skin, irritating.
IMHO
Jim

**DONOTDELETE**
10-31-2002, 05:28 PM
Dr Bronners isn\'t really a soap per se... it\'s all natural - water, coconut & hemp oils, peppermint oil, and rosemary extract. It can be used for massage, baby bath, denture cleaner, deodorant, shave \"cream\", and mouthwash...the label reads like bible scripture \"the people of the one God faith...\" blah blah blah, but it sure works wonders! Perks me right up in the morning shower. You can prolly find it in a health food store.
Anyhoo, I\'ll give it a try and report in to the commanding officer after adequate testing. :P

BassMan
11-01-2002, 05:55 AM
<blockquote><font class=\"small\">In reply to:</font><hr>

Dr Bronners isn\'t really a soap per se... it\'s all natural - water, coconut &amp; hemp oils, peppermint oil, and rosemary extract. It can be used for massage, baby bath, denture cleaner, deodorant, shave \"cream\", and mouthwash...the label reads like bible scripture \"the people of the one God faith...\" blah blah blah, but it sure works wonders! Perks me right up in the morning shower. You can prolly find it in a health food store.
Anyhoo, I\'ll give it a try and report in to the commanding officer after adequate testing. :P

<hr></blockquote>Starting using the stuff in 1975. It\'s definately a soap. You missed the word \"saponified\". The liquid soaps are saponified with KOH, the bar soaps with NaOH. Here\'s a link:

<a target=\"_blank\" href=http://www.drbronner.com/faq.html>http://www.drbronner.com/faq.html</a>

If you want to play with the scent, go get a bottle of peppermint essential oil at your local health food store.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-01-2002, 03:22 PM
thanks for that....saponified... I guess we see what we want to huh. I do like the smell, it\'s like I become a walking breath mint. It\'s unique and prolly strong enough to cover just about anything else. I like the smell of King of the world mix but it seems to change over time. I have chalked it up to wearing it in a dance club (smoke, sweat, etc...) The Dr. Bronners idea just happened to strike me while I was showering - there must be a reason that there is no minty smelling colognes. Or am I an innovator?

**DONOTDELETE**
11-01-2002, 04:00 PM
Lots of colognes contain mint. But mint and things in the mint family are generally thought of us more antiseptic/astringent than sensual, for a top note, at least.

The reason your smell changed is that the \'mones heated up and may have morphed/broken down. From what I\'ve read, the answer to that is to reapply about every 4 hours. Someone will correct me if this is wrong, I\'m sure.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-01-2002, 06:15 PM
hmmm....maybe that\'s why I didn\'t seal the deal!! It\'s that or my moral conciousness....&lt;&lt;note to self - reapply after 4 hours if you want sex /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif &gt;&gt;

DrSmellThis
11-02-2002, 02:51 AM
Peppermint is an aphrodisiac, but the smell is incredibly strong. I use it to repel rodents. It really has to be super-diluted for perfuming.

EXIT63
11-02-2002, 04:51 AM
....I use it to repel rodents....

Hmmmmm...Doc, do you really think you should be talking about people like that. Physicians should be above that sort of thing...IMO.

DrSmellThis
11-02-2002, 03:50 PM
/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif