PDA

View Full Version : Computer Shopping

**DONOTDELETE**
10-31-2002, 10:26 AM
I need a computer for home but don\'t want it for anything other than net surfing -- don\'t need a printer, speakers, etc. etc.

What\'s the best thing to buy, anybody have a suggestion? And what\'s about the least I could get away with spending?

Thanks in advance,

FTR

CptKipling
10-31-2002, 10:28 AM
Should be able to get something decent for about $500, considering its only for surfing. Monitor could set you back some if you want a big one.

Mtnjim
10-31-2002, 11:42 AM
If you are ABSOLUTELY certain that you will only be Web surfing. Since your connection will be the bottleneck, you could probably pick up a used P3 or older P4 for $100. Just surfing, you won\'t need the newer, larger hard drives, the blazeingly fast new processors, or high end graphics. (Recycle, reuse, reduce) Of course \"just surfing\" soon becomes writing a few letters, then keeping the finances, and so on.

;~}

**DONOTDELETE**
10-31-2002, 11:46 AM
I love my Dell Laptop. It\'s not cheap, but I know they (Dell)offers desktop packages (everything included) for between $500 and $700....

<<Dude you\'re getting a Dell /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif >>

**DONOTDELETE**
10-31-2002, 11:47 AM
I\'m positive, just surfing. The rest, if I need it, I have at work. Where would I go to find something like that? What specifications would I want it to have? I want on the internet quick and for the sites to come up quick.

Mtnjim
10-31-2002, 12:33 PM
Will you have DSL, Cable modem or will you be using a a phone line?

You can find used computer sales in the Yellow Pages. Sorry I can\'t be more specific, but I don\'t know your area.

Jim

**DONOTDELETE**
10-31-2002, 12:38 PM
I want to get DSL.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-31-2002, 01:26 PM
The actual computer itself won\'t matter as much as your modem in terms of connecting fast. I have a cable modem, and I can never go back to dial-up again. The whole dialling, and then waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting......I got spoiled
I\'d suggest going to a little \"hole-in-the-wall\" computer store. They can typically hook you up with a decent system for cheap... plus FTR you\'ll drive the nerd who works there crazy with lust /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

EXIT63
10-31-2002, 04:41 PM
Try Best Buy. They have pretty good prices. If you don\'t mind driving a little. Buy it in Delaware. No sales tax.

belgareth
11-01-2002, 05:55 AM
FTR,

Buying a used computer is kind of like buying a used car, you rarely know what you are getting. I own a small computer shop and service business. I can\'t tell you the number of times people have bought used computers then spent hundreds of dollars getting them to the point of usefulness. You also run across the problems of the software that may be left on it, any configuration issues and possible existing viruses.

I am not willing to sell you a computer and ship it to you, too many service related issues. But look at my site, it will give you some idea of what you can get for how much. www.abln.com. (\"http://www.abln.com.\")

Your best bet is a small reputable shop. You may save a few dollars by going to one of the big box stores but when you have a question, you are on your own. It is not always a good thing to buy a major brand, their performance and reliability is no better than the off brands and frquently, they are not readily upgradeable. You can end up spending a lot more money in the long run with a major brand.

Feel free to call me (my number is on my web page). I can answer most questions and am not going to sell you anything.

Everybody:
If you have a used computer you need to get rid of, many schools will cheerfully take them and it is tax deducatble. A couple schools in my area have programs where donated, used computers are refurbished and provided free to kids who otherwise would not be able to afford one. It\'s a worthy cause that deverves your help.

Dead monitors, like televisions, contain hazardous waste. Please turn them in for recycling.

Belgareth

krtel
11-01-2002, 01:54 PM
Is there a Micro Center where your at? They sell really cheap computers (but reliable) called \"Power Spec\". www.microcenter.com (\"http://www.microcenter.com\"), or to cut to the chase, www.powerspec.com. (\"http://www.powerspec.com.\")

- Krish