PDA

View Full Version : Particles in NPA?

krtel
10-29-2002, 10:17 AM
I\'ve recently torn off the lable offa my bottle of NPA and I raised the bottle up to look at it in light (in my room) and I noticed these particle like things floating in the bottle. Is this normal or have I somehow polluted my bottle of NPA? The smell from the bottle isn\'t as strong as it used to be either. I\'m worried that I somehow messed things up. Don\'t get me wrong, it is hella strong, but not as strong as before.

- Krish

**DONOTDELETE**
10-29-2002, 11:22 AM
it\'s probably like for the chem set. Gently heat it up, shake well and the particles should disolve. I guess it will smell stronger if all the particle goes back into solution.

(to heat it up, you can put the bottle in a cup of hot water)

krtel
10-29-2002, 12:12 PM
Well, could I leave it as is, and it still be as effective or is it mandatory that I heat it. Kind of risky :\\.

- Krish

**DONOTDELETE**
10-29-2002, 01:29 PM
You can leave it like this but that\'s a waste.

It is not risky to heat it up a little bit (around 50-60C should be enough...or as long as you can hold the bottle in your hand without harm if you don\'t have a thermometer). You can heat it like this in a water bath on the stove, shake it when it\'s hot until the particle disolves.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-29-2002, 01:31 PM
..of course it will most likely form particles again over time, unless you dilute it a bit with alcohol.

krtel
10-29-2002, 01:36 PM
Hmmmm, alright, I will heat it over the stove, while holding it in my hand. Is this always the case with NPA?

- Krish

**DONOTDELETE**
10-29-2002, 02:19 PM
I never bough NPA, all I know is it\'s what happen with the chem kit because it\'s so concentrated.

And I cheated, I just put my little bottles in the microwave for something like 3 second at medium ... but be carefull not to over heat it if you do it that way, you don\'t want to boil the alcohol carrier out!
At worst if that happen, you can always add some neutral alcohol to compensate but better be carefull and not overheat it.

krtel
10-29-2002, 04:36 PM
Well,

What I did was hold a lighter under it. When the bottle was hot, I shaked it and most of the particles seemed to disolve, however there are still some left. I repeated the process around 7 times, and no matter what, there are still leftovers. I did notice the smell got stronger though. What could go wrong if i leave it as particles? Do I sacrafice effectiveness?

- Krish

**DONOTDELETE**
10-29-2002, 05:08 PM
those particles probably are cristalized pheros.

krtel
10-29-2002, 06:24 PM
Are there ANY NPA customers in the house that have this same problem? I haven\'t read it ANYWHERE and this is becoming annoying, I just heated it again (I think I\'ve rendered my NPA useless from heating it.) I think I might just be better of sticking to PI/m. ugh.

- Krish

Whitehall
10-29-2002, 07:54 PM
So add a bit more alcohol (100 proof vodka will do) then try re-heating.

krtel
10-29-2002, 08:29 PM
Got any alternatives? I\'m 17, I can\'t buy vodka. Will Ethanol from Walgreens do?

- Krish

DrSmellThis
10-30-2002, 01:20 AM
If you can\'t buy vodka you can\'t buy ethanol.

If you add alcohol, get an adult to buy 180 proof grain. Tell them it\'s for your cologne hobby.

Me personally, I\'d heat it in water and forget about it.

krtel
10-30-2002, 10:22 AM
Ok, how long would you keep it in the warm water?

- Krish

**DONOTDELETE**
10-30-2002, 03:18 PM
You warm it in hot water and then you shake. If it\'s still there, do it again until it disolves.

But eventually it will cristalize again unless you dilute it a little bit (for exemple, you could add 10ml ethanol to 20 ml of your phero).

oscar
10-30-2002, 04:02 PM
krtel,

Don\'t overlook the possibility that if you use your NPA bottle to apply product to your finger to dab it on, there may be minute skin or dust particles in there. If this is the case, you can soak the bottle in warm water \'til the cows come home and these particles will not dissolve.
They won\'t hurt the effectiveness of the product, but repeated heating MAY!
Lay off the lighter especially.

Oscar /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

DrSmellThis
10-31-2002, 06:18 AM
Yeah. like he says...

Actually you should be fine if you warm it gently and don\'t go over 150 degrees F.

P.S. Thanks, Oscar.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-31-2002, 05:45 PM
150F ! ok... so that`s about 65C...