PDA

View Full Version : What is The Matrix ?

abductor
10-17-2002, 04:23 PM
THE MACHINES
THE MECHANIZED WORLD

LEVIATHAN: THE GLOBAL NEURAL NET
When the Mechanized Revolt began in the early 21st century, the infrastructure for a mechanized world was already in place. Global communications provided instantaneous links between the most powerful computer systems on the planet. It did not take long for the Machines\' collective mind (sometimes referred to as the Sentience) to colonize existing computer systems and turn them toward its own purpose.
Over the past two centuries, the Machines have refined the old technology to a point that the old computer designers only imagined. New satellite communications offer speed that makes fiberoptic routes appear as efficient as a string between two cans. Processor power exceeds what even the most visionary humans once believed to be physically possible.
The Matrix is only one part of the Leviathan, as it is known in Zion. The Leviathan is actually the physical infrastructure that links all the local neural networks, powerplants, robots and satellites. A complex system of PAC\'s (photon-accelerated cables) and satellites serve as its arteries and nerve endings. If one part of the system malfunctions, another kicks in to cover the loss. For all intensive purposes, it is the Sentience, or hive mind, of the Machines.

NODES: LOCAL NEURAL NETS
The Leviathan is split into thousands of smaller neural networks, often referred to as Nodes. These local nets administer regional communications between robots, computers and the Matrix. Each node hosts a subset of the Matrix, which is both global and local at the same time; inside the Matrix, nodes are represented by cities--connected, but physically discreet. This system allows full interconnection but permits the Machines to shunt a particular node if it show signs of malfunction (or human rebellion). It also allows for instantaneous transfer of all data from one node to another if one is shut down.

POWERPLANTS/FARMS
Most nodes are formed around Powerplants, or Farms, where humans (derogatorily referred to as \"Coppertops\") live imprisoned in stasis pods (and the Matrix), providing the Machines with the power they require. Farms are heavily patrolled by Sentinel robots and maintained by Janitors and Spiders. They are the very life blood of the Leviathan and their maintenance is of upmost importance.

NURSERIES
Most nurseries are giant caverns filled with rows of clone pods, spreading in every direction. It is here that the Machines recombine genetic material from DNA-banks to produce new generations of batteries. When clones reach the appropriate age, they are implanted with a complex system of cybernetics that allows life in the Farm pods and access to the Matrix. Nurseries are tended by massive Nurse-robots, Janitors, and Spiders and heavily guarded by security systems and Sentinels.

ROBOT FACTORIES
Robot factories exist throughout the globe, working endless to refine and produce new robots. They too are heavily guarded, as Zion has recently taken to raiding the factories and looting them for whatever technology and weapons they can find.

SATELLITES & SPACE STATIONS
When the Machines took over, the first thing they colonized was the global satellite system. Thousands of satellites remain in orbit and the Machines launch new ones on a regular basis. Most of the existing satellites are artificial intelligences themselves.
There also exists a few space stations still in orbit, but they are mostly abandoned. The machines have little use for them and perceive them as an inefficient use of resources. There is talk among some of the Resistance about recolonizing them for human use.
Legend has it that there is a base on the moon that was fully established by humans before the Machines took over. Some say that those humans managed to cut their communications before the Leviathan could spread to their systems. If there is any truth to these rumors remains to be seen.

THE MATRIX
THE (un)REALITY
The world in which most humans live out their entire lives is nothing more than an illusion. It is simply a computer program made up of variables, sub-routines and electronic files. But to them, it is unquestionably real. In the Matrix, people feel, taste, smell, see and hear with the clarity of humans in the Real World. They grown from infants to adults, experiencing all the joys and pains of the human condition, as it has been for the species\' entire history.
The Matrix itself functions as a perfect mimic of the Real World. The physical laws of the universe are hardwired into the system: gravity, time, entropy, relativity, electro-magnetics. Though it can, with great effort, change objects of the Matrix, the Sentience cannot alter these physical laws. It is imprisoned by them just as the humans are within their stasis pods.
Some of the Human Resistance have discovered that these laws are as illusionary as everything else in the Matrix. With this knowledge, they are able to unlearn their expectations of the physical world and, while in the Matrix, perform formidable feats that even the Machine and its minions cannot mimic.

CHANGES IN THE MATRIX
The Sentience can change the software objects of the Matrix, but only with a great expenditure of energy and at the risk of corrupting existing software. However, in extreme cases, such as when it must cover up a glitch to avoid the possibility of a human realizing the reality of the Matrix, the Sentience will exert the effort to change the Matrix. Doors may appear and disappear; buildings may have one less floor; clocks may progress though the humans won\'t realize time is passing (\"lost time\"). Often, sensitive humans in the Matrix will recognize a change is taking place by experiencing \"deja vu\", the feeling of re-experiencing a moment.

ACCESS
The Human Resistance has discovered methods for hacking into the Matrix. They utilize the global communications grid to pipe into the Matrix and observe events there.
Some of the Resistance, those who have been resuscitated, can project their minds back into the Matrix. Once there, they can \"physically\" interact with other humans (or their RI\'s) and the software of the Matrix itself. Hacking often occurs on Hoverships that must be within 5 kilometers of a Node or Communications Router. Resuscitated hackers use \"Jump chairs\", specially modified devices that connect the hacker\'s cybernetics to the comm system and projects them into the Matrix.
Projecting an RI into the Matrix requires an open communications port in the Node. Inside the Matrix, these comm ports are symbolized by telephones with \"hard lines\"--cabling that leads into the \"city\'s\" telecommunications grid. The Machines rely on these hard lines to access the Matrix as well (otherwise, they would cut them all). Hard-line telephones are found throughout the cities, apparently somewhat at random. When a Hacker enters the Matrix, they will appear adjacent to the hard-line phone and when they wish to leave, they must be holding the receiver.
Communication to and from the Matrix is simpler. Hackers may use any phone (table-top, cellular, payphone, etc) to communicate with the Operator on their hovership. However, these calls may be monitored and traced by the Machines, in both the Matrix and the Real World (spelling danger for both those in and outside the Matrix).

AGENTS
Agents are autonomous programs active within the Matrix. They serve to maintain the integrity of the system and remove any variables which endanger it. Increasingly, they seek out Resistance fighters who dare to enter the Matrix or the humans they may recruit.
Agents may inhabit the Residual Image of any human plugged into a Farm Node. When they do so, the RI transforms into that of the particular Agent (each Agent is of a certain \"version\", a \"Smith\", \"Jones\", or some other version name).
While Agents have apparently super-human skills and attributes, they are bound by the physical laws of the Matrix (and thus of the Real World). They may show peak human performance in all things, but they cannot exceed this peak. This is the only edge that the Resistance Hackers have over the Machines.

HUMAN ALLIES
The Machines manipulate many humans to their bidding. As most of humanity is plugged into the Matrix, believing it to be real, they often follow authority (which is directly controlled by the Machines) without question. They join militaries and police forces, turn in criminals whose pictures are on the 6 o\'clock news, and allow themselves to be incited against \"foreigners\" or anyone deemed to be \"different\".
Thus, the Human Resistance often finds itself pitted again other humans inside the Matrix. They usually take the form of government agents, be they FBI, CIA or the police. How to fight other humans is a matter of great debate in Zion, since when a Resistance Hacker kills a policeman in the Matrix, he is killing an ignorant human. Most in the Resistance feel it is a necessary means to an end, though they avoid harming or killing innocents whenever possible.

HUMAN AGENTS
There are rumors that the Machines have begun to recruit humans to serve as knowing agents. Using brainwashing techniques or bribery, the Machines seek to find willing humans to battle the Human Resistance, especially now that some of the Resistance have shown the ability to defy the physical laws of the Matrix, surpassing the abilities of the Agents.
The physical attributes and the skills of these human traitors vary greatly.

BassMan
10-17-2002, 05:23 PM
Hmmm. Another one who took the red pill...

abductor
10-17-2002, 06:17 PM
Bman,
I thank to God for took the pill. Exists a rumor that the new \"Unpluging-way\" is using the <font color=red>red suppository</font color=red> /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
10-17-2002, 10:35 PM
What\'s the red pill??

Bruce
10-18-2002, 12:03 AM
You gotta see the movie.
Bruce

**DONOTDELETE**
10-18-2002, 12:31 AM
\'K

jose
10-18-2002, 04:08 AM
Anybody know the dates of the two sequels that will be released next year?

BassMan
10-18-2002, 04:41 AM
<blockquote><font class=\"small\">In reply to:</font><hr>

I thank to God for took the pill. Exists a rumor that the new \"Unpluging-way\" is using the red suppository

<hr></blockquote>Ouch!

abductor
10-18-2002, 06:28 AM
----- In reply -------
Anybody know the dates of the two sequels that will be released next year?
Jose
------------------------
Jose,
\"Matrix 2 - Reload\" in May 2003.

Do you remember the last scene of Matrix 1? Neo is in the telephone, and the message \"System Failure\" ...
What do you do when your Windows Fails? and you receive the \"blue screen\" and the message \"Fails in Kernel 32 bla bla\"
Ctrl+Alt+Del and reboot system.... I think the machines will do the same...I think because that the title of the matrix 2 is \" Reload \" /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

CptKipling
10-18-2002, 06:49 AM
\"There is no spoon\", shortly followed by a huge explosion, nice.

The clips I have seen of the sequals look really good!

BassMan
10-18-2002, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class=\"small\">In reply to:</font><hr>

\"There is no spoon\", shortly followed by a huge explosion, nice.

<hr></blockquote>\"There is no spoon. Use the forks, Neo, use the forks...\"

CptKipling
10-18-2002, 07:04 AM
\"But I don\'t know the damned order! Which one should I use for my fish? Curse\'d higher class eating rituals...\"

druid
10-18-2002, 03:48 PM
hey if you guys like the matrix and stuff go look up a philospher named \"descrates\" (i think that is how it is spelled). Read his \"waking dream\" thingie, I swear this is where they got the idea for the movie.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-19-2002, 11:45 PM
I think I know the secret to the Matrix super secrets F/X. I think it\'s get as many people as possible to freeze frame in mid air as the circle of camera go off to grab the image then have them do martial arts /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif and have even more bullets fly by slowly. (Sad Jet Li wasn\'t in this one this is his territory, wire stunts and martial arts). I saw the trailer and was impressed. I\'m an action junkie, so I\'m ready. I have to see the transporter too.

-The Bat

abductor
10-20-2002, 05:13 AM
Hey Jambat you spoke about martial arts..
I study brazilian ju jitsu for several years, one thing disappoint me, Neo learn (or download?) techniques of ju jitsu but didn\'t use any time.

druid
10-20-2002, 09:12 AM
well brazilian jiujustu is superior to many fighting styles but is not as flashy as some of the stand up styles so that is probably why it wasn\'t in the film.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-20-2002, 09:28 AM
Hey Jambat you spoke about martial arts..
I study brazilian ju jitsu for several years, one thing disappoint me, Neo learn (or download?) techniques of ju jitsu but didn\'t use any time.
-abductor

It doesn\'t matter. No matter what all Neo downloaded it\'ll all look the same as long as the cherographer is the same. He\'ll punch and kick then grabs some kind of stick and starts hitting people with it. Jet Li is pretty much the same but he has to eventually end up grabbing tonfas and beating the daylights out of fifty or so bad guys. Fun stuff if you ask me. I would\'ve paid to see Neo v.s. Jet.

-The Bat

proteus
10-20-2002, 09:42 AM
yeah, it would have been great to see Jet Li in the Matrix sequels. I read on his website around the time they were casting for Matrix sequels that he had other projects and couldn\'t do the Matrix. Jet\'s the best martial artist on film right now IMO and just wish he could get some decent movies to be in as most of them are lousy.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-20-2002, 04:15 PM
All I can say is \"You have no idea what I have become.\"
-The Bat

abductor
01-01-2003, 12:29 PM
The Newsweek magazine (Dec/2002 edition) brings a good substance about what is come soon!!!!

http://www.msnbc.com/news/850165.asp?cp1=1#BODY (\"http://www.msnbc.com/news/850165.asp?cp1=1#BODY\")

seadove
01-02-2003, 01:19 AM
When I saw the DVD matrix I fell asleep in the middle with a potato chip caught between my lips.My mom woke me up at three in the morning, BEFORE I choked to death on the chip.

Now that you\'re so excited bout the movie I\'ll have to rent it again and see what I missed.

Hope I won\'t fall asleep again.