PDA

View Full Version : Your top five favorite music of all-time

abductor
10-13-2002, 07:55 PM
1. Ipanema Girl (Tom Jobim)
2. Smells like teen spirit (Nirvana)
3. Imagine (John Lennon)
4. Stand by me (Ben E King)
5. Symphony No.29 - Allegro moderato (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart)

MOBLEYC57
10-14-2002, 02:00 PM
Ductor - I\'m a romantic - I love all that slow, cuddling time music. Doesn\'t matter if it\'s Rock, Country, R&B, Jazz...as long as it\'s slow.

My all time favorite is a Jazzy black male vocalist that was introduced in Europe by the name of GARY TAYLOR... ROMANCE at its finest!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif LOVE DANCE and MOOD OF MIDNIGHT are his top two CDs, and VERY HIGHLY recommended. He has about five out, and every last one of them are filled with romantic melodies. My favorite mix - Put him and SADE together, and somebody\'s going to get nibbled upon /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif OUTSTANDING!!!!

Elana
10-14-2002, 03:19 PM
Anything by...

David Bowie
Queen
Beatles
Pink Floyd
Led Zep

**DONOTDELETE**
10-14-2002, 06:03 PM
Ooooo, Sade Love Delux and pink champagne, and I\'m there...

MOBLEYC57
10-14-2002, 06:10 PM
Suuuuuure!!! Don\'t make me pull your chicken card!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Whitehall
10-15-2002, 04:09 PM
English Suites by JS Bach

Beethoven\'s 9th Symphony

Schubert String Quartet #13

Brahms\' Piano Quintets

\"Route 66\"

**DONOTDELETE**
10-15-2002, 04:16 PM
Ooooo, Whitehall. That\'s weak in the knees stuff. NICE!

Mamapunisha
10-15-2002, 09:23 PM
Well as for I love singing, but always go disguise, my daughter\'s are doing a great Job, and anyway to avoid my husband from knowing, his busy filming a Puni Movie, just keep it on down low!!!!!!!

I have too much favorites but here\'s a few:

\"Baby I\"
\"If I can\'t have U\"
\"Baby, Baby, Baby\"
\"Two Wrongs\"
\"Addictive\"

**DONOTDELETE**
10-15-2002, 09:45 PM
I\'ve got to list them by albums (Rock & R/B)

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
Abbey Road - The Beatles
Hotel California - The Eagles
Songs in the Key of Life - Stevie Wonder
That\'s the Way of the World - Earth, Wind & Fire

Audio engineering & music marvels all of them!!!

CptKipling
10-16-2002, 06:43 AM
Stuff by the Verve.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-16-2002, 10:16 AM
Well, I couldn\'t just stop at 5 albums, here are 5 classic singles to go along with them:

Layla - Derrick & the Dominos
Dolly Dagger - Jimi Hendrix
I Am the Walrus - The Beatles
Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
Let\'s Get It On - Marvin Gaye

Great technical achievements and world popularity in these songs...

a.k.a.
10-16-2002, 10:35 AM
Just five? I can think of at least 50 albums/cd’s that belong in everybody’s collection.
Whitehall and justhuge have already mentioned three of them. Here’s five more:

Giant Steps - John Coltrane
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
Bitches Brew - Miles Davis
London Calling - The Clash
Riddim Warfare - DJ Spooky

Whitehall
10-16-2002, 10:50 AM
I would have mentioned Jimmy Hendrix but couldn\'t quite bump off Beethoven - at least publicly.

\"The Wind Whispers \'Mary\'\" is a fave along with \"All Along the Watchtowers\" and so forth and so on....

And who can forget a Grateful Dead concert!

**DONOTDELETE**
10-16-2002, 11:02 AM
A.K.A. - Man, you beat me - That album by Dylan was going in my next posting!!! You have good taste...

When your talking music, we can all go on and on. Why stop at 50?

a.k.a.
10-16-2002, 11:53 AM
Beethoven’s 9th rocks. I’ll take “Ode to Joy” over “Wind Cries Mary”. (Even though “Electric Ladyland” absolutely belongs on the top 50.) I would have bumped “Route 66” for Schuman’s “Piano Concerto in A Minor”.

Justhuge, I know what you mean. There is sooooo much good music out there you don’t know when to stop. (Great singles list, by the way.)

frenchie
10-21-2002, 02:56 AM
favorite music ?

a lot of things by
Yes
Bowie
Motown music (Temptations, Diana Ross...)
Aretha Franklin (just love her !)
Janis Joplin (love her too !)
Philadelphia (music from the movie)
Daft Punk
Mercury Rev
Jay Jay Johanson
Carl Philip Emmanuel Bach (the son of JSB)
counter tenors (James Bowman, Derek L.Ragin)
Joe Henderson

and a lot more...

belgareth
10-21-2002, 07:37 AM
Whitehall, The first one will fit in with your original list:

Rick Wakeman\'s Journey to the center of the earth.

Dark side of the moon
Knights in white satin

sophie
10-22-2002, 12:01 PM
Am I the only one that likes U2? Any classic Led Zeppelin is good....my all time favorite, if I have to pick *one*, is Automatic for the People, REM, just about wore it out. Dixie Chicks (and I\'m not a big country fan either)....Delta blues and bluegrass, even gospel if it\'s good and southern and sincere. I really like everything, music is so universal.

EXIT63
10-22-2002, 01:27 PM
Heidi 65 is the big U2 fan. But we haven\'t heard from her in ages.

Watcher
10-22-2002, 03:44 PM
Ok my favourite 5 songs of all time.

Jump for Joy - 2 Unlimited
Get ready for this - 2 Unlimited
No limit - 2 Unlimited
Real things - 2 Unlimited
This is reality - Anita Doth

Hey i love U2 as well they make great music just got this thing for old school fast beat techno/dance/R and B

Real Mccoy and La Bouche were also high on my lists.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-22-2002, 03:49 PM
I second votes for Led Zeppelin and Motown and Pink Floyd, absolutely, and I love the Dixie Chicks.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-22-2002, 04:22 PM
OK Red - Don\'t leave out the Bangles, The Go-Gos, & The B-52s

Watcher
10-22-2002, 04:34 PM
Bit early for me anyway.

http://www.chez.com/kristalisator/ (\"http://www.chez.com/kristalisator/\")

**DONOTDELETE**
10-23-2002, 12:49 PM
Allright WATCHER - That\'s cool - So those groups are a little early for you, we can step it up a bit. There\'s some new music groups that have some good tunes as well:

Garbage
Hole
Everclear
Blink 182
Smashing Pumpkins
Black Crows
Counting Crows

Any of those recent enough?

**DONOTDELETE**
10-23-2002, 01:00 PM
Coldplay
Radiohead
Dave Matthews

CptKipling
10-23-2002, 04:26 PM
Ah Red you like Coldplay and Radiohead? Really good bands, anyone else like this kind of UK stuff?

Hundred Reasons
Travis
Nirvana (yes I know not a UK act)
Stereophonics
Foo Fighters (and again)
Ash
Feeder

Watcher
10-23-2002, 06:41 PM
Garbage of course is hole and smashing pumpkins were favs of mine in school. INXS kylie minogue - australian favlour here.
Silverchair.
Killing heidi.
2 Unlimited again.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-23-2002, 07:31 PM
Not like -- love -- adore. Radiohead is god. Coldplay\'s right up there in the pantheon, too. But Radiohead is god. And I always loved Nirvana, too, although it\'s not fashionable to love Nirvana around here. (Buncha suits with their taste all in their mouths...) lolYou younger ones probably don\'t even know who this is, and the older ones might throw rocks at me, but I admit to being a complete Joni Mitchell fan from album one, which I bought with babysitting money when I was in the 7th grade. She\'s been a big influence on other girl singers I like a lot, e.g. Shawn Colvin, one among many others.

sophie
10-23-2002, 08:24 PM
I won\'t argue about Joni Mitchell!!! I had one of her albums (vinyl, the one with the Circle Game on it, can\'t remember the album name, Ladies of the Canyon? though I still have it somewhere around here) and played it all the time in my first apartment (late 70\'s). Always loved Morning Morgantown too. In seventh grade I had Carole King\'s Tapestry though, with my babysitting money. Funny to think about it being 30 years ago, isn\'t it?

I almost forgot Todd Rundgren, did anyone besides me ever listen to him? In high school, we thought he was so cool, \"A Wizard a True Star\" and \"Something Anything.\"

**DONOTDELETE**
10-23-2002, 08:39 PM
Hey, Sophie! -- \"Blue\" is my favorite JM -- I wore out the album, got it on tape, wore out the cassette tape, got it on CD, am on my second CD copy. I\'ll still be listening to it when I\'m 90. \"A Case of You\" - I never get tired of that track and others. Always loved Ladies of the Canyon, though, too - Michael From Mountains was on it, I think, and Night in the City -- Hejira was a great album -- she just always seemed to say what I needed to hear said. I\'ve outgrown her a little but not by much, still.

I never was into Todd Rundgren but there\'s still time. I\'ll check him out.

I can\'t even grasp that it was that long ago. I looked up one day and I was 45. Where did the time go? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif In my high school we were into Chicago (because our band had a good brass section) and Led Zeppelin, mostly -- some Floyd.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-28-2002, 10:26 PM
watcher-
you an ozzie mate? what about Powderfinger? or have they gone too mainstream for you? :P

Watcher
10-29-2002, 05:11 PM
You an aussie as well resuranger, never really was into powderfinger to not my style.
Given that there are other great aussie bands that should have gone big globally long ago, but havent for some reason.

www.chez.com/kristalisator (\"http://www.chez.com/kristalisator\")

**DONOTDELETE**
10-30-2002, 08:39 AM
Not aussie myself. I spent six months there. two months in Brisbane (my fav. city in the world) a few weeks in Cairns (tourist trap) six weeks traveling around the east coast (port douglas, and the reef) into the NT, then two months in Darwin.
I bought a ton of music, all of Powderfinger\'s albums, a bunch of JJJ Hotest 100 albums, and a few no-name musicians that are just really good.
I wanted to stay in the country, but it\'s too difficult to get a permanent working visa, and I\'m not ready to give up my US citizenship quite yet.

a.k.a.
10-30-2002, 07:24 PM
My two cents.

Radiohead is very good. “OK Computer” was genius, and “Kid A” rocked. But nowadays god goes by the name of DJ Krush ( Suspend all your prejudices about hip-hop and listen to the cd he put out with Toshinori Kondo, “Ki-oku”. Sultry jazz trumpet with grooves that range from hot and sensuous to dark and brooding, then back again.)

Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Emmylou Harris are the last of the old gods that still have any life in them. (Please not another Rolling Stones farewell tour.)

I can’t think of anybody in pop that can match the originality of Joni Mitchell’s compositions (maybe David Bowie at his best), but if you think her voice range and expression are something — which I do — check out Zap Mama.

Finally... When it comes to innovation, Medenski, Martin and Woods are at the cutting edge — but they have some dreadfully dark moods. Ultimately, however, everybody is still trying to catch up with Miles Davis and John Coltrane.

Of course this is all subjective and I’ll probably change my mind tomorrow.

PS Anybody still into soul music? Check out “Khronos” by Maktub. Guaranteed to send shivers up your spine.

PPS Music is my addiction.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-30-2002, 08:49 PM
Beastie Boys
Powderfinger
Jimmy Buffett
DJ Shadow
JS Bach

...and metallica, tribe called quest, lenny kravitz, carlos santana, aerosmith (old stuff,not the new crap-ola), the cars, the pixies, goo goo dolls, lemonheads, bad religion, ramones, phish, G. Love and special sauce, La Montse....

SweetBrenda
07-12-2004, 07:37 PM
I have many but lets see:
(one

of my favorite singers)Sade= Kiss of life, Somebody already broke my heart,* Love is tronger than pride & so many

others by her.

TopDawg2050
07-12-2004, 07:45 PM
thanks Bren, you basically just

jacked my thread!!! :rasp:

muhuhahahaha, this is a minor setback to my world domination / points scheme, i'll

find another way to make points :twisted:

SweetBrenda
07-12-2004, 09:22 PM
[QUOTE=TopDawg2050]thanks

Bren, you basically just jacked my thread!!! :rasp:

muhuhahahaha, this is a minor setback to my world

domination / points scheme, i'll find another way to make points :twisted:

Gawd! TD u seem so touchy:eek: (

reminds me of someone I know lol ) ... I was reading some old threads to keep me busy and found this one...I will

make sure I post in yours too! btw this is not the same as yours though you're talking what do we like now and

this is oldies:p
So there! :kiss: