PDA

View Full Version : Off-Topic threads/posts

Bruce
10-09-2002, 08:22 AM
Everybody,
I have been thinking about adding a couple of new areas to the forum, and the recent spurt of heated off-topic debates here and there has given me the idea of creating a separate area for them. The main advantage of that approach is that it would be very easy with the present UBB forum application we have here to throw an entire thread to the designated \"duke it out\" area, without me having to start deleting and warning offenders of the generally poplular \"let\'s stay on topic, folks\" rule.

What do you think? Let me know if you need clarification of what I have in mind here.

Cheers,
Bruce

MOBLEYC57
10-09-2002, 08:35 AM
That\'s a good idea Bruce. I use to get mad at people that were talking about other things than mones a while back. Then I got on the waggon, and then others jumped on me about that, but now they too are talking about other things than mone usage...CATSDEADNOW!!!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif So yes Mr. Bruce...you have my vote. This should be hits, and ideas for mone usage only. Maybe there will be less posts, but for someone looking for ideas, they won\'t have to read through all of the BS to get an idea, or find what they\'re looking for.

Bruce
10-09-2002, 08:38 AM
If others are interested, we can try it for a while. Folks can carry on such debates, but not in the \"Pheromone Discussion\" section.
Bruce

franki
10-09-2002, 08:39 AM
The problem is that some of the threads, that were originally about mones turn off-topic. If you would carry over the whole thread people could miss some valuable information.

MOBLEYC57
10-09-2002, 08:41 AM
Way to go Bruce!!! Tell me you don\'t know how to run things!! Oh!, that was somethings better than others /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

jose
10-09-2002, 08:43 AM
I agree we need a off/topic board, there are other important things to discuss than just Pheromones. If you want to post you hate religion or if you had a bad or good day it should be there. Current events like the sniper in Washington and Bush going to war are discussions I would like to hear opinions on from you guys.

franki
10-09-2002, 08:45 AM
If you start discussing politics and religion, the whole atmosphere can turn hostile very quickly. I don´t know if that´s a good idea.

Macmers
10-09-2002, 08:46 AM
I reckon to what Franki had said.....Also, like this one forum will be ignored or less visited, and some valuble infomation may be gone.

jose
10-09-2002, 08:51 AM
That\'s the whole point of a off/topic board, things will get heated but it doesn\'t have to be religion or politics all the time. It may be anything relationship problems, dating advice, at least they won\'t be on the main forum.

Bruce
10-09-2002, 08:52 AM
Franki and Macmers,
I agree there are some problems. It could still sap a lot of energy from the forum as folks might spend too much time battling in the outlaw land and lose interest in the pheromone discussion. We could just try it for a while and see what happens. Maybe it won\'t work and we can try something else.
Bruce

franki
10-09-2002, 08:52 AM
IMO a lot of the \"dating advice\" is closely related to pheromone usage and should stay on the pheromone forum.

Bruce
10-09-2002, 08:54 AM
Franki,
I agree completely about that. In fact, just about everything that has been going on here up until now has been great. It is just the last week or two that various off-topic directions have gotten going. All the other stuff has been fine IMO.
Bruce

Macmers
10-09-2002, 09:05 AM
Bruce:
Maybe you can put the more significant threads/post with subtantial amount of info phero discussions into one dedicated for the -mones.

Also, within these it can be splited into different sub-groups like \'newbie\'s corner\', \'application and dosage\' and \'essential oils\' etc.This will bring much convenience to the member/users on finding specific info and read stuff \'they wanna read.\'

Another (more radical and crazy) way is to collate the info of users/members by summarizing the entire content and place it in the reference material section. Sort of like the Nimbus Cookbook. However, this can be extremly time-consuming.

/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif Just a penny for my thoughts.

\"When all men think alike, no one thinks very much.\"
-Walter Lippmann

MAJORSOB
10-09-2002, 09:08 AM
This seems like a good idea..at least for those that use it as it seems that we have had more people just looking to start something for no reason lately.

Macmers
10-09-2002, 09:24 AM
MAJORSOB:
Yah....it\'s kinda of annoying actually....the newbie and all those stuff...but I have to bear in mind I was once a newbie too man..... Hope that these pheros does not take off too soon and become popular all of a sudden, There would be no more an edge or advantage of phero users anymore....

\"When all men think alike, no one thinks very much.\"
-Walter Lippmann

Gerund
10-09-2002, 09:31 AM
Lots of good ideas mentioned. But to address Bruce\'s question: I believe some type of change is warranted. Don\'t know what ideas will be successful, but I\'m almost to the point where anything different would be a relief. The flame wars are indeed exhausting and tedious to wade through.

MOBLEYC57
10-09-2002, 09:40 AM
I agree with Gerund...now maybe people will stop picking on me. I only want to help, and I\'m so full of love, and definitely caring /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

BassMan
10-09-2002, 09:49 AM
<blockquote><font class=\"small\">In reply to:</font><hr>

I agree with Gerund...now maybe people will stop picking on me. I only want to help, and I\'m so full of love, and definitely caring

<hr></blockquote>Oh, for gawds...

Red, can you come over here and spank him?

**DONOTDELETE**
10-09-2002, 09:53 AM
Yeah! I want pheromone info and legitimate pheromone theorizing....and this board is a great forum for that. The off topic stuff is very distracting, though.

MOBLEYC57
10-09-2002, 09:56 AM
Stop it Bass!! You\'re the one she needs to give some cross-the-lap treatment to!!! And stop smiling!!!

BassMan
10-09-2002, 09:56 AM

I agree completely about that. In fact, just about everything that has been going on here up until now has been great. It is just the last week or two that various off-topic directions have gotten going. All the other stuff has been fine IMO.

<hr></blockquote>Far as I can see, there\'s really only been one thread that _started_ off topic - the others have wandered off into flames somewhere after useful info had been posted. Is it possible to split a thread so that the beginning stays where it is, and the flame war gets moved to asbestos-land?

EXIT63
10-09-2002, 11:34 AM
NO

**DONOTDELETE**
10-09-2002, 12:11 PM
You\'ll expect this from me, probably, but Help Me Rhonda, what is the big deal?
The only good thing I can see about having a separate forum is that the folks who get squeamish when a conversation gets hot won\'t have so much to get their knickers in a twist about. Some of y\'all are REAL sensitive ... and some, I guess, don\'t want so much social interaction, just want to stick to the subject... So what are you going to do, make a Debate forum, an All Mones All The Time And Nothing But The Mones forum, A Sex/Relationships forum ... I haven\'t been on long enough to know, but, I mean, has this always been a quick reference thing just scientific or very briefly about \"hits,\" or haven\'t there always been conversations?

BassMan
10-09-2002, 12:17 PM

You\'ll expect this from me, probably, but Help Me Rhonda, what is the big deal?

<hr></blockquote>Thank you. I concur.

Elana
10-09-2002, 12:20 PM
Yeah, what FTR said /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

sabSpeaks
10-09-2002, 12:27 PM
Yeah, just make a \"Time-out Room\" LOL
If a thread gets too heated or majorly off topic, move it.

Watcher
10-09-2002, 12:32 PM
Its been proposed about a off-topic discussion area, it could prove quite good for business if you maintain such an area, activity in no-mans land will be intense but if you provide pheormone links in there to love-scent etc etc and some people like myself will occasionally pop up over there and give our phero adivce to keep it focused within a wide field.
This was always going to happen with more and more people coming on board, but it will keep people coming back to discuss a wider variety of topics all the time with the pheormones in the background and would prove great for business. Lets give it a go its easy enough - the womens forum has worked out ok so far.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-09-2002, 11:44 PM
Some topics don\'t deal specifically with phero\'s (like adding XYZ amount of none plus nol to create the Super Duper DJBX #1), but instead they\'ll discuss other useful topics like womens body language or advice on breaking up with a girlfriend or something. If it\'s women related, you should keep it in the phero board, so it won\'t get lost in the board about the war with Iraq or what the Yankees are doing this year.

BassMan
10-10-2002, 06:34 PM

IMO a lot of the \"dating advice\" is closely related to pheromone usage and should stay on the pheromone forum.

<hr></blockquote>Interesting, considering.