PDA

View Full Version : What APC smells like

Whitehall
09-27-2002, 09:12 AM
I\'ve just received my first bottle of APC and wore it this morning. By 10 am I realized that it smelled very familar and was able to recognize where I had smelled this before - Creed Green Irish Tweed - a very high end men\'s cologne. I also added a couple of dabs of NPA - my morning meeting went very well for me as everyone looked to me for guidance in absence of our manager.

It\'s not exact as Creed has a sharper top note when you first apply it but the longer lasting mid and base notes are very similar. APC has a tad sweeter note too but all in all, a remarkable copy. Creed is also very long lasting and APC doesn\'t have that reputation but then, APC is much cheaper than Creed.

Anyone concur or disagree?

Elana
09-27-2002, 09:18 AM
I just mixed a batch of APC/w with NPA. I love the smell of woman\'s APC. I can\'t even begin to describe the scent. I am not familiar with Creed. I wonder if the scents are the same for the women\'s and men\'s APC.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-27-2002, 09:25 AM
Elana, if you don\'t know Creed, you\'re in for a treat. Smell Fleurissimo - my absolute favorite of all - but it\'s 130.00 a bottle. Two drops max will do you all day, though. I\'m sure the men\'s colognes are just as gorgeous. They\'re beautiful, refined, scents.

Champagne taste on a draft beer budget ...

Elana
09-27-2002, 09:29 AM
Is Fleurissimo super flowery? I really like more spicy, musky, oriental types. I would assume we have similar tastes. I tend to be high T also. I am very dominant and like my fragrances to smell that way. Now I am on a quest to sniff some Fleurissimo and Creed.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-27-2002, 09:31 AM
Fleurissimo is a floral, delicate like etched crystal.

I\'m high T but sub in the bedroom. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Elana
09-27-2002, 09:32 AM
\"I\'m high T but sub in the bedroom.\"

That\'s were we differ /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
09-27-2002, 09:57 AM
You go, girl. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Gerund
09-27-2002, 10:05 AM
Gerund: <------------ wants details, darnit!

oscar
09-29-2002, 02:39 PM
Whitehall,

I had always thought of APC as a somewhat simplistic fragrance. A deliciously simplistic fragrance, but not one that had such complexity or sophistication that it seemed very hard to distinguish between the few notes therein.

Then following your post I went to Basenotes.com and looked up Creed\'s \"Green Irish Tweed\". Seems it too is a quite simplistic scent, at least in terms of the sparsity of the number of fragrance notes it contains.

It struck me that the recent downturn in the commercial fragrance industry (noted on another thread) may be the result of fragrance houses trying too hard for complexity by incorporating dozens of notes into their newest scents.
Green Irish Tweed, which I\'ve never had the pleasure of sampling, lists but six notes total!
(Less is More, perhaps?)

Trusting your judgement implicitly as I do, and being near the bottom of my APC bottle, I went to the returned products page and snagged three second-hand 1oz. bottles of APC at $13 ea.!

Your glowing comparison of APC to such a highly regarded scent as Green Irish Tweed will have me enjoying my APC/NPA, 5:1 mix all the more.
Especially at pennies per application. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Oscar /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

MaxiMog
09-29-2002, 02:46 PM
There was a certain thread here where something similar was posted: people tend to wear only one or two notes these days: like only rose perfume, or vanilla, or veternilla (forum club files. Combination of vetiver and vanilla). These are just a few examples, but I guess it is a fact that people tend to search for less complexity when it comes to scent these days.

camusflage
09-30-2002, 04:23 AM
Don\'t go thinking that just because Basenotes lists six components that there is nothing more to a scent. Most scents are complex blends of over a hundred different essential oils. Basenotes lists the most dominant ones--the ones that are easily picked out.