PDA

View Full Version : Essential oil blends! (weird question maybe)

MaxiMog
09-25-2002, 08:01 AM
GD
?eral essential oils (cost me quite a bit, too) and I\'m thinking about mixing them. Does anyone here with some experience on this matter have recommendations? I have:

Sandalwood (great IMO)
Patchouli
Tea Tree (wouldn\'t use this for it\'s scent though)
Lavender (the real stuff)
Rosewood
Rosemary
Ginger
Ylang Ylang
Bergamot

I found that Ylang Ylang easily overpowers the other scent when mixed, so it should be used sparingly or not. It\'s said to be a girly scent, and I pretty much feel about it that way, too. A bit too flowery IMO.

What do you pros think are the best ingredients for a good mix. Any other oils I should get?

MaxiMog
09-25-2002, 08:40 AM
What the...? Some gibberish in the beginning of my previous message: It\'s supposed to say: \"I bought some essential oils and I\'m thinking...(whatever the rest of my message)!

Hope some people can help me!

Thanks

Bruce
09-25-2002, 08:46 AM
Max,
There is a lot of info about essential oils archived in teh Forum Members\' Club area.
Bruce

MaxiMog
09-25-2002, 08:51 AM
Alright, I\'ll go take a look there. Thanks

BTW Bruce, is there a way to close/lock a topic without actually deleting it? (like the old archives: reading, but no more posting)

**DONOTDELETE**
09-25-2002, 09:51 AM
The site I\'ve mentioned before, www.enfleurage.com (\"http://www.enfleurage.com\"), lists some books that look really excellent on the subject.

I\'m very interested, too, in essential oils. One of these days if I ever have any spare money, it\'s a hobby I\'d like to take up.

Probably Bassman and Dr. SmellThis are your best resources until you can do some reading.

MaxiMog
09-25-2002, 09:59 AM
Yeah, they both seem to have lots of experience of the subject. And I must admit, it\'s a expensive yet very addictive hobby to play around with essential oils.

This is from the forum club:

Magic Oils: Anise, Vetiver!
by jerry s. posted 12/15/2000 7:50:15 AM

yes many essential oils are known as aphrodisiacs, but mostly in other parts of the world, and is not too common in the u.s., because western cultures are mostly not into scenting, as some 99% subdue their personal trademark odor with powerful chemical deodrents and some cheap after-shave which acutally hides their own powerful sexual allure; then they head out to duh.com??:O??

however, essential oil aphrodisiacs actually excite or heighten your own your own personal sexual scent, or aromatic hormonal substances, and are worn extensively by men in less squeaky clean socities, especially europe, greece, france, italy, india, egypt, the ancient Aztecs, and Sumerians; as practically everything they own was/is scented, from every inch of their bodies, as well as their apartments, and even their beds are scented around the clock!:)!

with the right oils and pheromones, natural flirting can be hundreds of times more powerful, as you will be doing it now in a primal sort of way, as the word \"kiss\" actually means smell, in several lanugages, hey ask any Eskimo, they have it right!:)!

yes, by all means, essential oils will cause people around you to be more friendly in general, and will even draw women closer to you, but when you are wearing applied pheromones too, you will have direct hits, that is, women will acutally approach you, and want to keep you company!:)! very true!! ask RQ!:)!

Very hopeful!

My main problem with the scented products is that I don\'t really like most of the scents, and that I\'d rather add something personal what I\'m wearing. IMO it\'s very cool to be able to say that the \"wonderful scent\" that surrounds your body is your own creation. Nice site, too BTW. Unfortunately the oud essential oil is very expensive.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-25-2002, 10:03 AM
Dr. SmellThis says use the oud-scented calypso oil.

The perfect personal scent is one of those holy grail things. I\'ve been searching all my life and still haven\'t found it. And sometimes you read these exotic descriptions about single notes, and you smell one and think, was that guy high or what? Stuff smells awful. lol

How do you like the rosewood?

MaxiMog
09-25-2002, 10:17 AM
The Rosewood is pretty good. I actually only bought it because it has a rose-like smell. Real undiluted Rose essential oil is \'a bit\' too expensive IMO. It was $6.50 for 10 ml while Rose is $18 for 1 ml.

You really should check out the forum club, FTR! They have some good information and stories about essntial oils there. I wonder how come the interest in EOs diminished so much over time. Perhaps the time has come to make the EOs real popular again.

Bruce
09-25-2002, 10:57 AM
Max,
Yes, I can lock a thread so that no more posts can be added. I never could figure out when you would want to do that though. What did you have in mind with that?
Bruce

Elana
09-25-2002, 11:15 AM
Check out this funky site.

http://www.shadesofpassion.net/sachets/discriptionsc.html (\"http://www.shadesofpassion.net/sachets/discriptionsc.html\")

**DONOTDELETE**
09-25-2002, 11:19 AM
Hey, that\'s cool! thanks!

Elana
09-25-2002, 11:22 AM
This one looks good...

Adonis\'s Ardor
\"You will need:
eight drops of jasmine essential oil three drops of musk essential oil three drops of vanilla essential oil This mixture is designed to stimulate and prolong sexuality and stamina. It\'s one of my favorites. It\'s obviously not to be taken internally\"

**DONOTDELETE**
09-25-2002, 11:26 AM
Sounds pretty yummy.

Whitehall
09-25-2002, 11:56 AM
Here\'s another interesting and useful link:

http://www.aromaweb.com (\"http://www.aromaweb.com\")

The problem with the Adonis Blend is that real musk is very difficult to find legally in the US as we signed a treaty to protect the endangered musk deer. China and France did not and the Chinese are active in deer ranching.

\"Get along little doe-y\"

MaxiMog
09-25-2002, 12:02 PM
Well, basically, I thought most of what I was looking for would be in the forum club. I didn\'t think much posts would follow anyway, but it seems that people do post here. GOOOOD!!!!!

MaxiMog
09-25-2002, 12:03 PM
Thanks Elena! I\'ll definitely check out this one. Seems interesting!

MaxiMog
09-25-2002, 12:09 PM
Well, let\'s just put it this way: I think there are many artificial musks out there, eliminating the need for real musk. Then why buying EOs instead of fragrance oils? EOs have medicinal purposes, too, that\'s pretty much the difference. Musk is mainly used for it\'s scent anlone (at least that\'s what I think). If this is not the case, please feel free to correct my mistakes. I\'d still rather not take part in indirectly killing endagered species.

Elana
09-25-2002, 12:14 PM
I am 100% against the use of real musk too. I just wanted to make that clear. I am sure you can use and artifical musk scent with the same results.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-25-2002, 12:18 PM
http://www.theposition.com/healthbody/futuresex/01/02/12/wired/default.shtm (\"http://www.theposition.com/healthbody/futuresex/01/02/12/wired/default.shtm\")

BassMan
09-25-2002, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class=\"small\">In reply to:</font><hr>

Well, let\'s just put it this way: I think there are many artificial musks out there, eliminating the need for real musk. Then why buying EOs instead of fragrance oils? EOs have medicinal purposes, too, that\'s pretty much the difference. Musk is mainly used for it\'s scent anlone (at least that\'s what I think). If this is not the case, please feel free to correct my mistakes. I\'d still rather not take part in indirectly killing endagered species.

<hr></blockquote>There are differing belief structures around the use of oil mixtures, depending on the subculture that has created the mixture.

From a cursory view of the site from which the Adonis mixture was taken, and from the name of the mix itself, this appears to be a largely magickal blend designed to invoke the energy of the god Adonis. One would prepare the mixture in a ritual manner, charging it with one\'s own personal energy and intent, and calling upon Adonis to imbue the mix with his energy.

The real question, in a mixture of this type is, can the particular musk you are using hold a charge.

I gather that the owners of the site would never have dreamed of killing a deer to make an oil mix.

There are certainly other systems and other ways of approaching this. But I believe that the approach I describe would correspond to the intent of the authors of the site.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-25-2002, 12:36 PM
FTR sez:
&gt;&gt;The perfect personal scent is one of those holy grail things. I\'ve been searching all my life and still haven\'t found it. &lt;&lt;

Me too, until a few months ago when I found it here:
http://www.madini.com (\"http://www.madini.com\")

I found one that was exactly what I\'d always imagined in my mind\'s nose... I started with the 5 sample for $15, and got lucky that I found one that I like and one that I loved in the first batch. Side comment for those who are in search of musk: The \"Black Musk\" is about as musky as anything I\'ve ever come across. It\'s strong, but if you want MUSK, that stuff is da bomb.

MaxiMog
09-25-2002, 12:45 PM
Thanks! Seems good!

**DONOTDELETE**
09-25-2002, 12:54 PM
Oooooo! How did you ever decide which one to buy? Some of these sound really gorgeous.

Thanks so much!

MaxiMog
09-25-2002, 01:46 PM
Seems they have Agarwood (oud) too!

**DONOTDELETE**
09-25-2002, 01:56 PM
I saw that!

I\'m definitely going to try some of these. 10.00 for a sample pack is not bad at all.

MaxiMog
09-25-2002, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I\'m gonna order a sample pack, too.

Oud, Jasmine, Rose, Jamrose and Black musk.

Hope they\'ll get here soon!

xvs
09-26-2002, 02:26 AM
Slightly off topic, but check out this formula for Cola beverage flavoring... lots of essential oils in it that you might not expect!

3.50 ml orange oil
1.00 ml lemon oil
1.00 ml nutmeg oil
1.25 ml cassia oil
0.25 ml coriander oil
0.25 ml neroli oil
2.75 ml lime oil
0.25 ml lavender oil
10.0 g gum arabic
3.00 ml water

The dilution in the final beverage is approximately 1:5000

MaxiMog
09-26-2002, 02:46 AM
Where did you get that information? I never expected so many different E-oils to be found in Cola. 1:5000 eh? At such a rate, it might do just as well without \'em. I don\'t think it makes that much of a difference... Thanks for the info, xvs! /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

EXIT63
09-26-2002, 03:10 AM
You\'d save alot of money by just smearing some coke behind your ears. Ofcourse you\'d probably have yellowjackets chasing you down the street all day.

MaxiMog
09-26-2002, 05:06 AM
I also bought some anise today. It\'s getting good reviews at the forum club and I do like the scent a lot.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-26-2002, 05:53 AM
Ok, now THAT might get you bitten...I really like anise. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

MaxiMog
09-26-2002, 06:12 AM
You should really try some, FTR! It\'s a very good unisex scent, and if I have to believe the reports in the forum club (which I honestly do) then you\'ll get a lot of companionship and help from people of the same sex, whereas people from the opposite sex will be... You know, more \'open\' to you (from my male &amp; heterosexual point of view) /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif. Definitely one of the better scents out there!

I\'m gonna post the articles from the FORUM CLUB here, too, in case someone else is interested;

Anise
by jerry s. posted 11/21/00 8:49:05 PM

yes, bud I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that many pretty girls may have more self-confidence, and yes, very used to getting what they want!:O:)! and maybe a very good reason, they become assertive!:), whatever, I think its soooo the best!:))!

and yes, I do think vetiver goes with ylang, as vetiver is sort of a woodsy-musk, and ylang is sort of a floral-musk, and together, I think you are getting very close to the sweeter side of human scent only amplified many, many times! and with the your subliminal pheromones on track, wow!:)!

yes, you are getting quite a collection, but add some \"Anise\" with you vanilla, and vetiver, too round things out a little, anise seems to make men more friendly toward you, well not that friendly, but much more friendly than without it!:)! try it and see!:)! but use it very sparingly, as it\'s very sweet, and powerful! just a touch about anywhere, will also lift you spirits way higher!:)!

Anise: jerry\' s \"one-drop-blessing!:)!\"
by jerry s. posted 11/23/00 8:33:45 AM

yes, anise is what I would call the perfect aphrodisiac!:)! as it will acutally make people, in general, around you very friendly!:) women as well as men, because men like it as much as women; as studies have shown that it\'s really number one for both!:)! the only other essential-oil aphrodisac that can even compete with anise is jasmine, and anise is very affordable!:)!

and you are right it is very strong.. so after I have placed on all my pheromones, and essential oils, I just round it out with a \"one-drop- blessing\" (this is my new name for it), of anise! at first, I didn\'t think anything would happen, as I think we tend to believe, it could never happen to me??:O?? but, I had an experience, I can share:

I had to take my PC monitor in to have it repaired, as the \'home service\' people are anything but that!:O! so, I went in to talk to the store manager where I purchase my PC, and you wouldn\'t believe the royal treatment!:)! I mean the PC manager broke all the rules to help me, and even gave me a stand-in monitor while mine is being repaired!:)! as this was when I started wearing my \"one- blessing-drop\" of anise!:)! now, I thought this was just, perhaps, my imagination, and didn\'t think anymore about it, until I kept getting the same royal treatment literally everywhere I go, and the remarkable thing is men are amazingly helpful! NO they don\'t hit on you like women do, but they really help you out! and will bend over backwards to help you!:)! just wait and see!:)!

my one-blessing-drop has been going on after I have everything else in place, and I\'ve been placing it, extending it from my naval on down!:)! that is, as far as one drop will extend too!:)! and this is done with matts spoon method, as I use the spoon just used to apply the phromones, and may have a little bit of pheromones left on it too!:)!

and so, as you mentioned anise is very strong, but by placeing where I do, there is lots of clothing covering it, but even then you will keep getting hints of the scent, along with your other mixture!:)! and as anise is a uni-sex aphrodisiac, it will also uplift your spirits as well, and keep you happy, as I also believe it also works as a mood enhancer, like many of essential-oils do!:)!

Hey, success to you with the \"one-drop-blessing,\" but you will see what I mean! be sure to let us know what happens!:)

Anise: More Info
by jerry s. posted 11/27/00 1:52:21 PM

yes, anise has a very sweet licorice-like scent, and smells just like the candy!:)! but has been discovered to be a powerful unisexual aphrodisiac, working equally well, for men and women! it will keep your spirits lifted, attract women, and men will be super-nice to you, but don\'t worry, men won\'t hit on you, but will surely be out-of-their way helpful!

you may have seen the post on the \"one-drop-blessing,\" that I posted when, in fact, I came to know, for sure, that anise was indeed a great scent for attraction. and although I have not tested with the pheromones at love-scent, it does work really well, with a nonscented pheromone, and a blend of e-oils I call \"Vetivernilla,\" which was a blend of vetiver, and a vanilla perfume-oil, I had been using!!

so, after having my Vetivernilla combo all in place, then I placed one drop of anise on a spoon, I had used to place my pheromones in the pits and chest area (so it could have had a little pheromone left on the spoon), and placed on in the naval, and down as far as one drop would go!:)!:O!

anise is what I would call third-dimensional scent, that is, it seems to stand on it\'s own, so, even though you will get a hint of its ordor, once in a while, it amazingly won\'t interfer with anything else you are wearing; however, you would probably be better off by placing it apart from the rest of your mix!

anise is a very powerful scent, but I found that just one drop around the navel, is where there is normally alot of clothing (especially this time of year), so it won\'t overpower your orginial package!:!

but please understand I have only tested anise as mentioned, and not as a major scent, or even as, say a replacement for vanilla! however, you would probably want to go with half drops, or a carrier, because of it\'s overpowering potential!:O! and you may make some great discoveries by experimentation, I just posted what I used, and observed, and was very surprised at the reactions by everyone general!:)!

Besure to post any successes with anise!

That\'s all, folks!

**DONOTDELETE**
09-26-2002, 07:08 AM
I could definitely use some companionship and help. I\'ll see about some anise. Thanks! I enjoyed reading that information.

MaxiMog
09-26-2002, 07:18 AM
Makes me feel rather warm... I put some anise in a little jojoba-oil and put that under my navel. You should dilute it as it might irritate the skin otherwise. Lovely scent! And really, try it! It really makes me feel hot. Anise is a good choice! Should\'ve bought this one sooner...

**DONOTDELETE**
09-26-2002, 07:57 AM
Ok, I\'m stumped. Where is the Forum Member\'s Club on the website?

I love carnation scent - to me, anise and carnation are somewhat alike. Does that ring true to your nose, too? I\'m thinking of trying a Madini perfume oil that has a top note of carnation. Wonder if it would work as well as anise.

MaxiMog
09-26-2002, 08:28 AM
I sent them (Madini) a message yesterday but haven\'t received an answer yet. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif I really hope things go well with that site as it seems awfully good.

What\'s the botanical/Latin name of carnation? I don\'t know how to translate it to Dutch, so I don\'t actually know which one your talking about. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
09-26-2002, 08:30 AM
Dianthus caryophyllus, I believe.

Here\'s another site of possible interest:

http://www.ladyslair.net/Herbal_Databas.html (\"http://www.ladyslair.net/Herbal_Databas.html\")

Bruce
09-26-2002, 08:35 AM
Here\'s the part with the archived posts:
http://www.pherolibrary.com/forum-club/forumfiles/ (\"http://www.pherolibrary.com/forum-club/forumfiles/\")

Bruce

**DONOTDELETE**
09-26-2002, 08:37 AM
Thanks!

MaxiMog
09-26-2002, 11:18 AM
This site is pretty interesting, too, mainly because they have Rose and Jasmine and several other oil absolutes in roll-on bottles. The store located in the UK. Pretty good IMO.

http://www.aromatherapygiftshop.co.uk/index.htm (\"http://www.aromatherapygiftshop.co.uk/index.htm\")

**DONOTDELETE**
09-26-2002, 11:35 AM
Have you ordered from there? It *does* look nice.

MaxiMog
09-26-2002, 12:03 PM
Gonna order there soon! Roll-on bottles there, and a pack of 5 samples from Madini. Whaddya know? Oud\'s (230 pounds) not even the most expensive essential oil there is...

**DONOTDELETE**
09-26-2002, 12:09 PM
I just now ordered 5 samples from Madini - I named the ones I wanted to sample in their \"comments\" box. I hope they send the one I am interested and not 5 random samples. But it\'s a start, anyway.

MaxiMog
09-26-2002, 12:25 PM
You\'ll definitely get the five samples you requested, at least that\'s what the site said: \"if you order the 5-sample set, please write the ones you want in the comments box\". Please let us know what you think of them when they arrive. As I live in Europe, I\'ll have to wait a bit longer.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-26-2002, 12:34 PM
Will do.

MaxiMog
09-26-2002, 12:43 PM
Carnation reminds me of clove (less spicy though) with a little rosy undertone.

xvs
09-26-2002, 05:44 PM
Hm... I guess I wasn\'t clear... Besides the sugar (and phosphoric acid) this IS the flavoring of cola. The color comes from caramel coloring... there is no additional flavoring! Those essential oils are strong stuff!

Maximog writes:
Where did you get that information? I never expected so many different E-oils to be found in Cola. 1:5000 eh? At such a rate, it might do just as well without \'em. I don\'t think it makes that much of a difference... Thanks for the info, xvs!

**DONOTDELETE**
09-26-2002, 08:50 PM
Great thread...

I\'ve been playin\' with oils for about a year, but I\'m still a newbie.

I\'m not sure if it\'s been linked on this forum before but here\'s a fav site I trust for quality and purity as well as helpful, useful info: http://www.naturesgift.com/ (\"http://www.naturesgift.com/\")

PS - I also find Ylang-Ylang too strong and over powering, especially for the small micro size mixes I try to create. Maybe when used in larger batches in smaller ratios it might add some nice components... dunno? I like and use Jasmine but also find a similar problem at times depending on what I mix it with, but as I said I\'m far from being an expert... just let my own nose and personal preference guide me.

MaxiMog
09-27-2002, 01:58 AM
You\'re very right there! Ylang Ylang is very strong! Just for the fun of it, I\'m was taking a good whiff from several of my essential oil bottles, and the Ylang Ylang scent just didn\'t get out of my nose. Whereas the other scents pretty much were gone after taking a whiff, the Ylang Ylang stayed in my nose for an hour to come. Use it very sparingly if you\'re gonna blend that with others. Just to say, I tried a blend (experimental, just for fun): the Ylang - Ylang: other oils (4 others) ratio was 1:6 and I could still easily smell it. Bergamot is pretty potent, too, but nowhere as potent as Ylang Ylang. Sandalwood on the other hand is very mild, so if you want to be able to smell it in a blend, use a lot.

Thanks for the link!

MaxiMog
09-27-2002, 02:01 AM
Did you know Cola is a nearly as strong acid as stomach acid? (ph = 2) Needless to say, I\'ve never been a cola addict.

MaxiMog
09-27-2002, 03:49 AM
Ylang Ylang is also a more feminine smell. Don\'t let that bother you though. They say putting on a women\'s cologne will give you more success than a men\'s cologne, so hold on to this scent! Jasmine is very good and appeals to almost everyone.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-27-2002, 08:07 AM
It\'s great for degreasing your car engine. SOooo bad for your teeth and bones. It leaches calcium right out.

BassMan
09-27-2002, 08:11 AM

It\'s great for degreasing your car engine. SOooo bad for your teeth and bones. It leaches calcium right out.

<hr></blockquote>Interesting insight. The acid used is phosphoric acid, which is commonly used as a metal cleaner.

MaxiMog
09-27-2002, 08:13 AM
You mean Ylang Ylang? Been experimenting a bit too thouroughly, haven\'t you? It\'s great for the nails, though, to make \'em strong if they were brittle.

MaxiMog
09-27-2002, 08:18 AM
LOL! Yes, of course, now I understand! You were talking about the coke... /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif. I only read my last post and thought you we\'re talking about YYEO.

I\'m not an expert on the subject, but the assimilation of sugar requires calcium, that\'s why soda in general is so bad for the teeth and bones, as your body has to use it\'s own calcium to digest the sugar (and where is calcium located in the body? Right! in your teeth and bones). If you eat an apple for instance, then there\'s a little amount of calcium in the apple itself, that your body can use, so it doesn\'t have to leach on it\'s own calcium reserves.

Whitehall
09-27-2002, 08:22 AM
Cola and other soft drinks are also good for drain cleaners. Pour a big bottle of lemon-lime soda down a slow drain to keep it clean.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-27-2002, 08:33 AM
It\'s the phosphoric acid, which is why diet colas are as bad for you as sugared ones. The phosphoric acid leaches calcium from your bones and teeth. So even diet cola will rot your teeth and bones. I don\'t know why they leave the stuff on the market, it\'s so bad for you.

Having said that -- man, a very cold diet Coke every once in awhile is heaven...

MaxiMog
09-27-2002, 08:55 AM
Even if it is only the phosphoric acid, the amount of sugar will do more harm than good (can\'t even think of a good part as a matter of fact. As those sugars are assimilated extremely fast, blood-sugar levels raise very quickly causing you to be rather hyperactive. The high amount of sugar will then result in an overproduction of insuline which will cause your blood-sugar levels to drop a lot in little time, even beneath the level to really function properly, eventually causing you to feel a bit tired. So while \"quick sugars\" give you lots of energy extremely quick, you\'ll eventually feel more tired than you felt in the first place.

As for diet coke, I really don\'t trust those either: the sweeteners will not make you fat (no calories) but they\'re probably all just as bad for your body as normal white sugar, only in a different way. e.g. Aspartame is/was pretty popular, but nowadays, the amount of negative news on this and several others of those artificial sweeteners steadily increases.

BassMan
09-27-2002, 09:13 AM
Drink Guinness instead.

MaxiMog
09-27-2002, 09:21 AM
Will do that, thanks! /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

oscar
09-27-2002, 09:28 AM
Going off on an artificial sweetener tangent here.

Anyone remember Cyclamates? I think it was in the early/mid sixties, this sweetener was hailed as the new improved saccharin. And it was! A soft drink called \"Like\" that was a Seven-Up clone (Sprite wasn\'t around yet) used this sweetener and it tasted better than its real-sugar counterparts. Then, what presumably happened was, the saccharin lobby had lab studies commissioned to show that if a rat were immersed in several gallons of an incredibly potent cyclamate solution from birth (or something equally ridiculous), it would eventually contract cancer and die.
Cyclamates were banned!
Ironically, within a couple of years similar studies on saccharin produced like results. But I guess some blue chip company must have been behind saccharin production, because the only consequence was that saccharin had to be packaged with a warning stating its possible carcinogenic effects.
Cyclamates are gone, and saccharin\'s still around, even though the Cyclamates were a FAR superior sweetener.

I wonder if the new generation of artificial sweeteners is similar to Cyclamates?
I mean, now that we know it\'s OK to use cancer-causing sweeteners. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Oscar /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

MaxiMog
09-27-2002, 09:43 AM
IMO most of today\'s cancers are caused by wrong diet. Look at the more traditional people in the world (when it comes to what they eat) and conclude for yourself. e.g. the Japanese: rice, fish, little meat, fruits and vegetables, ... These people are still very active even when they\'re old, still very aware of their surroundings, fewer people turn bald or gray, less cancer... Today though, with the invasion of more western foods and habits, the increase in cancer is apparent.

I eat lots of whole-grains, fruits, vegatables, little sugar and refined foods. I must admit that I do like my occasional piece of chocolate now and then. My father used to be a macrobiotic, that\'s pretty much how I came to eating healthy. Macrobiotics IS pretty crappy though IMO, as it\'s not very realistic. They do offer several things that come in handy and let you see or feel how all things in nature are alike and all, but if you hang onto their rules too much, then I don\'t think you\'re free and independant.

This is getting too long... (and boring)

xvs
09-27-2002, 08:26 PM
Actually, chocolate might be good for you (especially if you have the dark stuff without much sugar added).

Check out this article:
http://www.jhbmc.jhu.edu/OPA/baynews/winter2000/choco.html (\"http://www.jhbmc.jhu.edu/OPA/baynews/winter2000/choco.html\")

The bars with the highest chocolate content and lowest sugar content that I know of which are intended for eating (as opposed to baking) are:

Michel Cluizel\'s Noir Infini -- 99% cocoa
http://www.echocolates.com/ec/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=EC&amp;category%5Fname=CHOC OLATE%5FBARS&amp;product%5Fid=MC12310 (\"http://www.echocolates.com/ec/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=EC&amp;category%5Fname=CHOC OLATE%5FBARS&amp;product%5Fid=MC12310\")

And

Domori Puro -- 100% cocoa
http://www.echocolates.com/ec/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=EC&amp;product%5Fid=DOM0051 0 (\"http://www.echocolates.com/ec/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=EC&amp;product%5Fid=DOM0051 0\")

MaxiMog
09-28-2002, 12:38 AM
How on earth can there be chocolate with 99% to 100% cocoa? Is it even possible to eat it as a bar that way? Another thing, the reason sugar is added to choclate is to neutralize some of the bitterness of the chocolate. Less sugar means more bitterness. That\'s why I think 70% chocolate is about the highest you should go. Anything over that tends to taste too bitter IMO.

OMG, $110 for 50 grams of 100% chocolate. No way! Why pay so much for something that\'s not even tasty anymore?

DrSmellThis
09-28-2002, 11:04 PM
Some time ago I posted another recipe for a coke perfume, by the way.

Sorry, I\'ve been to a hot springs for vacation so I haven\'t posted here.

DrSmellThis
09-28-2002, 11:14 PM
Maxi,
For sure, dilute ylang, rosemary and ginger before using, 20:1 or whatever. Jojoba is fine.

After diluting, start with 20-25 drops of sandalwood, and add a drop of ginger, patchouli, rosemary, lavender, or rosewood, and see how you like each one. Be careful and conservative. Any of these could work in a blend. With ginger results will be more \"oriental\"; with rosemary and/or lavender, more \"aftershavey.\" Too much patchouli \"drys out\" the sandalwood smell too much, I think. The rosewood mix could be an interesting woody smell, depending on the oil quality. To that you could add a top and middle note.

Basically you need to think in terms of top notes, middle notes, and bass notes.

Good luck.

DrSmellThis
09-28-2002, 11:32 PM
Misc notes:

The \"black musk\" site is all synthetics, including the \"oud\", but if you like it go for it. The calypso is just a cheap source of real, diluted oud.

Real essential oils have countless effects beyond the \"brute scent\", including aphrodisiac effects, without the harshness of chemicals. For the main body of a scent, I believe they are just superior. It just takes skill to mix them.

When you hear the phrase \"musk essential oil,\" that is either bullsh*t or refers to ambrette seed oil. That is the closest single essential oil to musk. You can get other nice musky effects by mixing.

Real musk: It is not necessary to kill the deer to get the musk sac, and it is possible to get musk from a deer that died for other reasons as well. That said, the perfume industry almost put the himilayan deer into extinction.

There is no comparison between the aphrodisiac qualities of real musk versus the fake stuff. Smelling deer musk is instant intoxicating hard-on and joy juice -- male or female. It is a strong drug.

Most published essential oil recipes are not good as perfumes. Sometimes you can get ideas for a simple combo to use in your tool kit, though. Good books are hard to find too. Experimenting on your own, reading about perfuming, and smelling hundreds of oils is great in the mean time.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-29-2002, 01:09 AM
Fooey! the \"black musk site is all synthetics\" I\'m glad I only spent 15.00! How can they do that, and call it essential oil? How did you know? I couldn\'t tell from reading the site. What a rip!

MaxiMog
09-29-2002, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the info, Doc! It\'s nice that I\'ll be able to avoid lots of mistakes and needless experimenting because of you. Gonna give this a try for sure!

/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

MaxiMog
09-29-2002, 01:21 AM
I\'m not sure, but aren\'t essential oils oils you get by steam or hydrodistillation of botanicals ONLY? Musk from animals can hardly be considered a botanical. When it comes to musk, I think there\'s only real musk and synthetic musk. And as you know, real musk is extremely hard to get expensive stuff that requires killing animals. Does anyone know a place where you can buy real musk BTW? This may sound a bit harsh, but the musk obtained from an already killed animal better be used than not. I\'d like to see the killing of endangered species for their musk ended, but any animal that cannot be saved anymore, might as well service for what it was killed for.

MaxiMog
09-29-2002, 01:24 AM
Any recommended reading anyway? As you say, there are lots of books on the subject, but few good ones, so it\'d be better if I knew I was reading a good one.

DrSmellThis
09-29-2002, 04:22 AM
no, MM. reread above re: musk..

RE: books, get a book about essential oils that has \"perfume\" in the title.

And bergamot is a nice citrusy top note for men\'s colognes. suggests \"shaving cream\" to me.

ylang really really needs dilution. I don\'t like it by itself even just as a topnote in a man\'s cologne. But it can enhance a floral blend. you might be able to get away with a ylang/bergamot top note if the ylang is subtle. Those two should blend well.

oscar
09-29-2002, 05:03 AM
MaxiMog,

I picked up a nice little book on amazon.
It\'s \"ESSENCE AND ALCHEMY, a Book of Perfume\" by Mandy Aftel. 2001

While it is by no means encyclopaedic, it does offer some nice suggestions on building collections of oils and formulating fragrances. It also explores the roles of fixatives (in depth) and pheromones (not so in depth) as well as presenting interesting facts about the history of perfumery.

DrSmellThis
09-29-2002, 05:17 AM
I\'ve seen the book -- it\'s pretty good.

MaxiMog
09-29-2002, 08:00 AM
Thanks, oscar! That\'s what I\'m looking for! /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

oscar
09-29-2002, 01:39 PM
MaxiMog,

You can get a head start on creating your e-oil shopping list by checking out this page on the Basenotes.com site:
http://www.basenotes.com/articles/ingredients.html (\"http://www.basenotes.com/articles/ingredients.html\")

MaxiMog
09-29-2002, 01:43 PM
Thanks oscar!

At first I thought this topic would maybe get 5 replies at most, but boy was I ever wrong... The helpful posts and reference material just keeps on coming! Thanks everyone!

**DONOTDELETE**
09-29-2002, 03:44 PM
Has anyone read a book called \"Portraits in Oils\" about essential oils/perfumery?

SwingerMD
09-29-2002, 07:35 PM
MaxiMog,

In addition to a few E. Oils encyclopaedias/books I also have this interesting book on crafting your own fragrances called, \"Perfumes, Splashes &amp; Colognes.\" It\'s by Nancy M. Booth.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-30-2002, 12:08 PM
Re: Madini oils.

I wrote to the site and asked the following:

_____
Hello:
I am of the opinion that the oils on your site are real extracts from the botanical source. An acquaintance of mine recently suggested that your perfumes are compounded of synthetics, or from natural sources that imitate, but are not the same as what they are purported to be. Can you please clarify this for me? Specifically, is the agarwood oil actually agarwood?

Thank you very much for settling this for me.
______

they responded with this terse note:

There are no synthetics in our oils!!! Agarwood is Agarwood.
410 E. Denny Way #123
Seattle, WA 98122
phn: 1-800-850-8101
fax: 1-206-328-9087
Web: www.madini.com (\"http://www.madini.com\")

**DONOTDELETE**
09-30-2002, 12:35 PM
It occurred to me Dr. SmellThis might have just been referring to the musk and not to all the oils on that site. But I\'m glad to read their response -- thanks for writing to clear that up.

MaxiMog
09-30-2002, 12:39 PM
If they responded like that to me, I\'d simply not buy there anymore. Is that a way to treat customers?

BassMan
09-30-2002, 01:15 PM
Not only that, but at their prices, I don\'t believe them for one second...

Watcher
09-30-2002, 01:20 PM
I must admit some sites charge through the nose but their products can be substandard.

BassMan
09-30-2002, 01:24 PM
I actually meant it the other way - I was thinking their prices were too low for the oils to be real.

DrSmellThis
09-30-2002, 03:23 PM
Typical industry standard is to say \"perfume oils\" when you mean synthetics, and \"essential oils\" when you mean natural. The medina site stresses they sell the former, not the latter. That makes me suspicious. I could be wrong.

Almost nobody uses anything but synthetics in scents they call \"musk\". Ambrette seed is a great musk alternative, especially when mixed with other \"musky\" essential oils (e.g., sandalwood, oud, patchouli, amber, labdanum, jasmine, costus, vanilla, cumin, clove, and others). Ambrette seed (also called \"musk seed\") is expensive, but should be extended anyway.

DrSmellThis
09-30-2002, 03:25 PM
Typical industry standard is to say \"perfume oils\" when you mean synthetics, and \"essential oils\" when you mean natural. The medina site stresses they sell the former, not the latter. That makes me suspicious. I could be wrong. I only know by smelling. I hope it\'s a good company, but the makers of SP oils also claimed their products are all \"natural\". That was a real hoot.

Almost nobody uses anything but synthetics in scents they call \"musk\". Ambrette seed is a great musk alternative, especially when mixed with other \"musky\" essential oils (e.g., sandalwood, oud, patchouli, amber, labdanum, jasmine, costus, vanilla, cumin, valerian, clove, benzoin, and others). Ambrette seed (also called \"musk seed\") is very expensive, but should be extended anyway. I must admit, however, that I prefer real deer musk, ambergris and civet! Even goat or beaver musk (castoreum) beats the hell out of synthetics.

oscar
09-30-2002, 03:32 PM
Doc,

They actually claim to sell genuine ambergris. Not that I would know the real thing from a knock-off.

But doesn\'t it seem really strange that EVERYTHING is the same price ! ? !

Oscar /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

cuddlebear
09-30-2002, 04:50 PM
THAT IS A DEAD GIVEAWAY. Real Sandalwood is WAY more expensive than real Peru Balsam or Rosewood. No way would true essential oils all be the same price. By the way, Peru Balsam plus Nol has given me SERIOUS results. I am talking about being grabbed in an elevator!!

DrSmellThis
09-30-2002, 07:46 PM
I believe you, cb.

I use Peru Balsam all the time in my aphrodisiacs.

Yeah, Oscar that\'s a bit funny. Real ambergris my ass.

MaxiMog
10-01-2002, 06:51 AM
Peru Balsam? What\'s that in Latin? I dunno what this one is supposed to be in Dutch... (the language I normally speak)

DrSmellThis
10-01-2002, 11:45 AM
Yes. I\'m used to seeing the latin versions.

I love that you can say ASS and not trigger the -censor.

Assface!

DrSmellThis
10-01-2002, 11:45 AM
Yes. I\'m used to seeing the latin versions.

I love that you can say ASS and not trigger the e-censor.

Assface!

cuddlebear
10-01-2002, 12:12 PM
Hi everyone! Latin term for Peru Balsam is \"Myroxylon Pererae\" ... Aura Cacia lists that on their EO bottles ... cb /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif P.S. I want to try the censor thing OHHH I JUST LOVE HER PURTY ASS /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

BassMan
10-01-2002, 12:15 PM
ASS What ASS censor ASS thing ASS ?

**DONOTDELETE**
10-01-2002, 12:37 PM
Sorry, ASSbreath, what did you say? I couldn\'t hear you for the f*cking censor...

MaxiMog
10-02-2002, 07:49 AM
Thanks for your reply. Real badASS of you!

BassMan
10-02-2002, 08:07 AM

I love that you can say ASS and not trigger the -censor.

<hr></blockquote>Now that we\'ve had our little fun /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif ...

Seriously, what censor?

**DONOTDELETE**
10-02-2002, 08:15 AM
Try George Carlin\'s seven dirty words and see how many of them print once you post them. You\'ll end up with [censored] [censored] [censored] ...

BassMan
10-02-2002, 08:47 AM
Ah. Thanks.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-02-2002, 09:10 AM
Well, it appears that Madini is either completely non-responsive except when on the defensive, or their website is not working well at all - my account has not been debited for my order; I sent a question to them via email, and it has not been answered ...
Whitehall, did you get any response from them/receive an order? or anyone?

Whitehall
10-02-2002, 09:41 AM
I sent a query but not an order. As to responses - zip.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-05-2002, 05:03 AM
DrSmellThis...

I was wondering if you can help me with some advise?

I\'m creating a few small phero mixes for some 4.5ml tiny atomizers I recently purchased using UnScented Attraction as a base for some NPA along with all three Chem Set pheros. Now giving that Attraction, I\'m assuming, is mostly alcohol based, I\'d like to add a few drops of some e-oils to color the mix and cover the pheros.

My question is what would be a proper dilution of essentials per ml in order to get a nice lasting scent that is not overpowering. The site, which I posted somewhere in the middle of this thread, in which I order all my e-oils has always recommended about a concentration of 2-3% e-oil in a carrier oil (2-3 drops per 100 drops or 5ml) due to the purity of their oils. This to me has always seemed to weak (using Jojoba) when mixing up something to wear as a scent. However I\'m also aware that an alcohol base will increase the dispersal and aroma of the mixture so I want to get it right. Please consider that the concentration of pheromones will be kept low enough to allow me to use the mix as a multiple body spray rather than a two shot cologne. I don\'t want to wreak even if it\'s of a good smell from natural e-oils.

Would 2 drops per ml be to strong for what I had in mind? I haven\'t completely decided what oils I\'d be using but sandalwood, and most likely a little vanilla will be definite.

biteme
10-05-2002, 01:23 PM
Hi. Please keep in mind I have yet to try this myself. I\'m a newbie with pheros and even more of a newbie with EO\'s.

http://www.aromaweb.com/articles/aromaticblending.asp (\"http://www.aromaweb.com/articles/aromaticblending.asp\")

Toward the bottom of the page, there are instructions on how to create your own cologne/perfume/body splash, etc. with EO\'s.

http://www.aromaweb.com (\"http://www.aromaweb.com\")

That\'s the homepage. Someone else also posted it on the boards somewhere also. I think this same thread, actually. The site doesn\'t deal with pheros at all, but good info on EO\'s.

Hope this helps.

biteme
10-05-2002, 01:24 PM
oh yea, and 1 tablespoon ~ 15 ml

and 1 teaspoon ~ 5 ml

DrSmellThis
10-05-2002, 01:47 PM
That\'s very complicated for me today... /ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif

I used 20 drops of sandalwood in a bottle of edge once, which worked out well. I added anoter 5-10 drops of other things. (what\'s that, 25ml?)

**DONOTDELETE**
10-06-2002, 04:29 AM
Thanks BM... the article turned out to be very helpful.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-06-2002, 04:48 AM
Yeah sorry Doc... that post was a little much! Should have just asked how many drops of e-oils per ml do you recommend. It\'s just like me to over complicate thinks sometimes /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Anyway, so you used about 25-30 drops essentials to 25ml (500 drops) of Edge and it smelled nice huh. So I guess that\'s a little more than 1 drop per ml (20 drops)... or 5-6% of e-oils.

Thanks... will try that first.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-06-2002, 11:24 AM
My 2 cents (BTW, that\'s 2 cents Can ...)

. If you are researching EOs (for their intrinsic therapeutic properties and/or as PHERO carriers or covers) and are seeking definitive and authoritative formulaic information - don\'t: Objective standardizations are rare in the EO field - the empirical takes a back seat to the experimental ... the importance of the spiritual often transcends both. For some, this is as it should be - even if it means an absence of broad consensus on (eg) recommended dilutions via carriers as well as lack of accompanying rationales. My experience on dilutions: 90%+ of seemingly credible sources will recommend EO concentrations ranging from ~2.6% to ~7% for skin applications, including for both colognes/perfumes and for massage oils. I\'d suggest your own experimentation be within those values (and think pony tails, not lab coats).

BTW: The same 90%+ cite the following as a useful personal reference/resource in using EOs for perfume formulations:

http://www.addall.com/Browse/Detail/1883010624.html (\"http://www.addall.com/Browse/Detail/1883010624.html\")

DrSmellThis
10-06-2002, 02:11 PM
That link is to another good book, which I\'ve read.

Good work.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-06-2002, 09:17 PM
So, would a book like that give advice about where to guy your raw materials, like, give you a shoppping list of scents to have on hand and perhaps recommend a brand?

DrSmellThis
10-06-2002, 09:40 PM
It may have, I forget. Foe sure it suggests oils.