PDA

View Full Version : Chem set too concentrated ?

**DONOTDELETE**
09-24-2002, 09:23 PM
Hi y\'all. I thoroughly enjoy this forum and thanks everyone for keeping it fun,civil and informative.
Just bought my second Chem set and I just had to delurk to clear up an issue that had been bugging me for a while.
When I discovered this site a few months ago I went hog wild and bought half the pheros available (Chem set, PIm, AE, PF, TE + got free SPMOs). After a few days of playing around with the Chem set I hit a really effective mix and that meant the other pheros were immediately reduced to step-child status. The Chem kit pheros were clean smelling and I made small batches in those little cologne sample vials that you get at the department store until I got what I liked. Just for reference, at the time I felt PI was \"somewhat effective\".
Lately it seemed as if the Chem set pheros had lost their zing. I went through a few possible explanations; I had become used to the effect, or maybe my body was compensating for the pheros etc. etc. But when I pulled PI and AE(stinky!) out of the dresser the effect seemed pretty strong.
This is puzzling. Now Chemistry was never my strong subject, I was chased out of class a lifetime ago never to return. But my intrepid brain has ignored its inadequacies and coughed up a theory. If I remember right seed crystals in a saturated solution can cause the solute to drop out. I had noticed crystals in the Chem set solutions. However, since a couple of posts said this was not a problem, I ignored them. Now they have gotten bigger and seem reluctant to get back in the solution even with added EtOH. Just got my second Chem set, so I\'ll know soon if there is a difference.
So what say you Oh Lords of Chem ?! Anybody with the same experience ? Theories ?

DrSmellThis
09-24-2002, 11:10 PM
I\'d need to know more details.

What mix were you using? How much? How were you mixing? What situation?

If you heat the chem set bottles with forceps in hot water the precipitates will re-dissolve, and you don\'t have to worry about seed crystals. After theyre dissolved, then you can add alcohol to keep them dissolved.

I find it hard to believe the chem set has lost its potency, but I\'m no chemist.

Maybe it\'s psychological. How\'s your social technique? Motivation? Confidence?

Maybe you started OD\'ing.