PDA

View Full Version : pheros in the air

frenchie
09-17-2002, 03:04 AM
hi all,
A lot of us wish to know which is the best way to send pheros in the air : some have tried the essential oil machine, which heats the pheros.
I have tried an other method : I\'ve just bought some Feliway (you know, those cat pheromones that are used to keep them less stressed and to prevent them from attacking your armchair) - I don\'t know the word in english, but you just plug it and it sends cat pheros in the air for 4-5 weeks. The carrier for these pheros is a kind of derived paraffin oil which is sure to keep pheros in it,in the right dosage, and with a regular flow.
So I just added some AEw and PIw (about 24 drops of the 24:2 AEw:PIw mix). It should be ok for one month as to the dosage, theoretically.
I\'ll tell you about any result

Have a nice day
Frenchie

proteus
09-17-2002, 03:47 AM
Hey Frenchie, that\'s a very innovative idea - sounds like it just might work in diffusing pheros in the air, although I wonder about the effect of the heat over time since some have said that heat tends to breakdown the pheros, so it\'ll be interesting to hear whether this works and for what length of time.

frenchie
09-17-2002, 05:54 AM
the point is that I could only add AE+PI to cat pheros, as I haven\'t got the carrier alone - it seems very difficult to find it actually, at least for people like you and me.
This paraffin oil had a special treatment in relation with the cat pheros, and ordinary paraffin oil (the one we drink when we\'re sick) doesn\'t work because of the heat - a vet friend told me so.
If there are some chemists on this forum, maybe they have an idea...
Maybe Bruce could find a solution ?
After 4 hours, I can smell pheros in the room - not sure if it\'s too hot or not...
But it may be a way to explore ?

Frenchie

frenchie
09-18-2002, 03:35 AM
*bump*

Andy
09-18-2002, 04:05 PM
eeek frenchie .. I\'d get sick from drinking parrafin oil. Do you still do that in france ? I thought this \"medicine\" wasn\'t used since WW2 anymore /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif.

BassMan
09-20-2002, 09:34 AM
<blockquote><font class=\"small\">In reply to:</font><hr>

This paraffin oil had a special treatment in relation with the cat pheros, and ordinary paraffin oil (the one we drink when we\'re sick) doesn\'t work because of the heat - a vet friend told me so.

<hr></blockquote>I liked this idea a lot. So I went shopping.

I figured that adding pheros to a plug-in air freshner gadget should do the trick - spread the pheros into the air, and then cover the stink to boot.

I went looking for the type of air freshner that has a bottle of oily scented stuff with a wick that feeds through the top of the bottle into a heater gadget. I bought two, ReNuzit and Wizard.

Forget ReNuzit. The wick is made out of some sort of hard plastic stuff that promptly broke as I was trying to pry off the top with a dinner knife. Not good.

The Wizard was another story completely. It has a long, fibrous wick surrounded by a plastic film - sort of a long, plastic-wrapped cigarette filter. Hmmm. I took a 3ml syringe, put about 1/2 ml of PI/w in it, and stuck the needle down into the wick. I injected slowly, PI/w overflowed the top of the wick. Ok. I pulled out the needle, this time letting it poke through the side of the wick into the bottle. Much better. And the PI/w mixed perfectly with the oily stuff in the bottle. I added 1/2 ml of PI/m, and 1 ml of Edge. All mixed fine.

Plugged the thingie into the wall. In half an hour, I could smell the scent of the air freshner. I left it plugged in all night - no smell of pheros even by morning. I think we have success. Now to try it with a house full of people who have a little EtOH in them...

EXIT63
09-20-2002, 10:48 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I\'ve got one of those Glade Plugins. I don\'t think I can pull the top off the damn thing and then re-attach it.

BassMan
09-20-2002, 10:55 AM
The cool thing with the Wizard is that I could shove a needle through the wick into the bottle without removing the top.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-20-2002, 11:55 AM
Yeah, but ... you\'re polluting up your pheros, burning chemicals with them. If you\'re going to use heat dispersal, why not a potpourri burner with natural oils for scent cover?

BassMan
09-20-2002, 02:02 PM
<blockquote><font class=\"small\">In reply to:</font><hr>

Yeah, but ... you\'re polluting up your pheros, burning chemicals with them. If you\'re going to use heat dispersal, why not a potpourri burner with natural oils for scent cover?

<hr></blockquote>Of course. Natural oils are a good thing.

I was just intrigued by Frenchie\'s use of a commercial petrol heater, and her implied request to find something that didn\'t contain cat pheros /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif Mind you, my Russian Blue familiar and I are very close. But not _that_ close...

Things like the Wizard function by not only adding scent to the air, but by also blocking olifactory receptors. The idea of using commercial chemicals to block the stink portion of the pheros seemed worth playing with.

Elana
09-30-2002, 06:38 AM
I thought I read that pheros effectiveness has to do with changing with the bacteria in the skin. If that is true, would they really work by just being sent through the air?