PDA

View Full Version : Calypso's Oil - anyone used?

**DONOTDELETE**
09-15-2002, 03:12 AM
Hi,
I found this site which says that human pheromones make people aggresive and that plant ones are better (http://www.calypsos-oil.com/)

Anyone has any experiences with those oils? I am interested in Jasmine and SB-74 (plant pheromone) oil...

Thank you and good luck!

P.S. I am new to this forum, please be gentle /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

MaxiMog
09-15-2002, 04:31 AM
Yeah, I\'ve read everything on the whole damn site, and I must say that a lot of it certainly makes sense. That\'s why I got interested in making my own \"perfumes\" by using certain essential oils. I don\'t give up on pheros though, and I believe that human pheros do have advantages that plant pheros do not have. I do believe their point that human pheros can definitely trigger aggression while plant pheros probably don\'t.
I think that we at this board worry too much about how much, what and where to apply. If someone says he has success with a certain product or mix, it immediately raises questions like what, where , how much even though we\'ve all experienced that one person\'s magic bullet can be totally horrible when worn by anothere person.
When it comes to the scent, I think it is more universal: not all people love the same scents, but there\'s much more of a tendancy to either loving or hating a certain scent. You can take safer guesses at what to wear for certain situations without being in the danger of triggering overly bad reactions like OD\'s cause sometimes.
Remember this site: it has lots of good information. I still access it pretty regularly, certainly now that I will be making my own essential oils dilutions for the same reason I use Love-scent products. My main goal with either is to be more approachable. My nature is pretty shy and introverted, and my solution to certain interpersonal problems that might cause is looking more approachable and extraverted as it will ultimately boost confidence and really make me more extraverted as a result, rather than doing the opposite: acting as if I\'m not shy at all and very extraverted, and hoping that people will not see through me. The former will allow me to adjust my attitude easily to certain situations and people while the latter will have me act like someone I\'m not.

MaxiMog
09-15-2002, 04:35 AM
Yeah, if you\'re interested in jasmine-scented fragrance then by all means get some that\'s dilluted (it\'s probably 3-5% jasmine essential oil in a jojoba carrier oil or so). Jasmine is way to expensive to buy it as a pure essential oil. Rose is even worse: $18 for one ml (about 20 drops).

**DONOTDELETE**
09-15-2002, 08:39 AM
I\'ve also read that site thoroughly while researching perfumes, which led to an interest in pheromones, which led me here. I had a couple of email exchanges with the inventor and a look at a couple of his patents. I have not tried any of the products because I\'m somewhat skeptical, especially about some of his ideas regarding fragrances. He claims certain scents attract men, certain scents attract women, and at one point lists out the ingredients of a commercially available cologne and says the message that it sends is confusing because it appeals to both men and women; therefore, the cologne could not work as an attractant. It occurs to me that the best relationships are where there is a good balance of male/female energy happening in both people, and that the principles of male and female exist in us all, and so why wouldn\'t scents with notes that appeal to both sexes be effective. One perfume may appeal more to the feminine side, one more to the masculine side of either sex. Commercial perfumes work very well depending on how well they match their wearer, what they bring out in the wearer. He also makes some statements that are just wrong, e.g. \"Patchouli oil attracts women but not men.\" Baloney. Some of the oldest and best women\'s perfumes have patchouli and men do like the smell - one, Secret of Venus, a girlfriend of mine used to call Secret of Penis, it worked so well, and it\'s almost nothing but patchouli. So since I have that objection to his theories, I also am skeptical about his idea that plant pheromones are better for humans to attract humans than human pheromones, because human pheromones can trigger aggression. Aggression is a component of our sexual response. It just depends on what you\'re trying to elicit -- feel good, talky, chatty, or more feral and direct. I think his discoveries regarding skin care and maintenance are worthwhile, but I think his ideas about fragrance and pheromones are more a matter of opinion and personal taste than fact. I\'m sure his formulations wouldn\'t hurt anything, but the pheromones sold through this site are shown to be effective to the point of your being able, with experience, to make mixes to elicit certain responses. I\'ve spent my money here and have not been disappointed in the least.My .2 cents, and welcome to the forum.

DrSmellThis
09-15-2002, 02:30 PM
Good post. I\'ve tried a product containing the pheromone (sp35 or something??) he talks about, and it did seem to maybe enhance a -nol kind of effect. I ordered the oud scent, as it\'s a cool woody smell, expensive, and hard to find.

I had a similar reaction reading his stuff. A lot of people pretend to know a lot about essential oils and perfuming. It\'s free to play pretend games.

Despite what he says, mixing a lot of oils together isn\'t confusing for the target if the mix is harmonious and artfully done. That is not to say it\'s easy to do this.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-15-2002, 02:40 PM
Yes, Dr. Smell, I so agree. I am not at all convinced of the man\'s artistry in perfumery although he talks very convincingly. I\'d love to know how you like the oud scent. I believe he puts those in very nice carrier oils? Will you mix it? Have you worn it before? I\'m very curious, I\'ve never heard of it before.