PDA

View Full Version : Pheromones at Work - An Informal Study

sabSpeaks
08-31-2002, 02:43 PM
INTRODUCTION AND CIRCUMSTANCES

Being a teenager, I work part-time during the summer at a kayak and canoe rental boathouse on the Charles River in Boston. Things get a little slow around there, so my co-workers and I conducted a pheromone study.

After customers sign up for a boat rental, they walk outside to pick a life jacket. Life jackets are available in Small, Medium/Large, and Whale. Most females fit into smalls.

THE TEST

This being said, here is how we designed the test:
We separated the small life jackets onto 3 racks. The life jackets on one rack were all sprayed with The Edge (10% androstenone), two sprays per jacket. The other two racks of smalls had no pheromones. The racks were equally accessible and convenient, and the life jackets looked identical.

THE RESULTS

11 of 12 women picked life jackets from the rack sprayed with androstenone. After the first six, the racks were switched to ensure that it wasn\'t the positioning that was causing the choice.

After this, we asked two female co-workers to \"pick any small life jacket\". Both picked a life jacket sprayed with androstenone.

Just thought this might be interesting, and good proof that The Edge really works /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Greg

**DONOTDELETE**
08-31-2002, 03:14 PM
Did any of you witness *how* they came to their decision, to pick the baited life jackets? Just curious if there was any kind of observable acts of curiosity.. not necessarily DIHL but looks of intrigue.. did any pick it up and smell? Stuff like that.

sabSpeaks
08-31-2002, 03:16 PM
I noticed that they would look at the racks of life jackets for a few seconds, then suddenly stare at the pheromone rack as if they had noticed something. That was probably the moment where they picked up on the pheromones.

Greg

**DONOTDELETE**
08-31-2002, 03:33 PM
Good work, Greg.

OMG, I wonder what would happen, if you did another test, but this time, using COPS.

camusflage
08-31-2002, 03:58 PM
Okay.. Now, I have to ask, and believe me, this is an indelicate question... Most places I\'ve ever been that rent life jackets, for the most part, the jackets have a stench somewhere between wrestling mat and locker room. Could this really be considered a fair test?

That reminds me.. I Need to take my towel and workout clothes out of my gym bag.. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

CptKipling
08-31-2002, 04:00 PM
lol

upsidedown
08-31-2002, 05:04 PM
Well, I don\'t know if the stench of the life jackets (assuming there was one) would matter. IF the women all picked the phero covered jackets even through a stench, then this tells me a lot about how powerful the phermones are.

I like the idea of trying cops. Do you have any that you could try on the jackets next time? It would be interesting to observe. OR, even more interesting...put -none on all of the jackets on two rows, but on one rack add some cops. You could leave the other rack without. Now that would be interesing to see if this makes a difference, if they choose the ones with cops and -none over the ones with -none only.

Of course I know this could get expensive for you to do all this testing. Maybe you should apply for a government grant to assist you in your experiments. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
08-31-2002, 05:07 PM
Hey, this may be an objective method to test all of the mixes head to head! How many women get life jackets each day?

DrSmellThis
08-31-2002, 05:09 PM
Carry on. Very interesting.

druid
08-31-2002, 07:19 PM
If you try it again try this. Spray 1 or 2 jackets with some mones (maybe even repeat this with different ones -- try some mixes, some scentless none like NPA or TE, then cops) and put the ones with mones in say the middle or the back of the rack so that a women will have to dig for the jacket. If she goes for it then it WOULD HAVE TO BE THE MONES. If not then you really can\'t conclude anything for certain. It may not be determinstic but it could lead to some solid evidence. This is actually a pretty good test. You have random subjects, some placebos. the best part about it is that they don\'t know they are being tested so you get some honest results. Also since they are just picking out a life jacket there is not much thought process involved and therefore more likely that the mones can take effect w/o the consicous mind interfearing. Also make sure that all the jackets are equally cleaned (or at least uniformaly dirty /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif ) so that no one picks up one because it looks cleaner.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-01-2002, 12:09 PM
So, how do you clean the jackets? It might be hard to get the mones off completely.

sabSpeaks
09-01-2002, 04:32 PM
I attempted to control all the factors that I could.

As for cleanliness, I ensured that the jackets on all three racks were equally clean, both visibly and by scent.

Considering your suggestion for putting the phero jacket behind the others: If it worked, it would definitely prove something. If it didn\'t work, nothing has been proven because other factors influenced the customer\'s choice.

Unfortunately, that will be the last of my mini-studies unless someone is willing to donate some pheromones /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif 12+ sprays of The Edge was already a bit pricey.

Also, there was no need for a placebo in this test. Placebos are used in experiments where the user knows he or she is being tested. Using a placebo control in this test would be meaningless.

Looking back on it, I wish I had marked the jackets that I sprayed with the pheromones to see if they are still working.

-Greg

sabSpeaks
09-01-2002, 04:36 PM
Of course, the hard part of this experiment was explaining to my co-workers why I had a spray bottle of male sex hormones in the first place, much less at work with me.

SwingerMD
09-01-2002, 06:08 PM
LOL. Yes that would have been a very interesting conversation. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

Watcher
09-01-2002, 06:14 PM
Yeah thats always an interesting conversation ive had a few of those myself. Although those out there that have their own business and or are a single operator could increase their trade by using this stuff. It could prove quite profitable especially in retail where markups can be used to cover the costs of the pheros.
Im remembering things posted on the forum in the past about waiters and waitressses in a restraunt business that increased trade this way they also sprayed chairs before each shift with the stuff and the cheaper pheros would be just as effective ie the edge would be good and unscented attraction.
Also a german movie theature did the same thing on chairs and noticed a ?i think? 20% increase in patronage over time.

www.asx.com.au (\"http://www.asx.com.au\")

Funlover
09-01-2002, 10:52 PM
Hey Watcher,

I find this very interesting as I have been wondering for some time about using pheros on the tablecloths covering my tables at the trade shows I attend. I tried it for the first time about two weeks ago. This is a very small show in a very small town, and I usually do about $350 in a day there. This time I sprayed JBX on the corners of the tablecloth, and did $1200.

The results I observed, were that women would \"hang around\" my booth a lot longer, until they got their checkbooks out and said: \"I\'ll take this, and this, and this...\" So that makes the pheros seem really inexpensive if they will work that good everytime.

I have more shows coming up, and will continue to try pheros at each show to improve sales.

Any suggestions as far as what product might work better than others to be sprayed on a tablecloth to attract more people to my booth? I have APC, TE, Attraction, NPA, JBX, JB-1, AE, SPMO, RM, SOE Gel, Excite Wipes, and have some PPAm on the way.

I have also considered using some of the essential oils at my booth that are suppose to be \"mood enhancers\". Maybe if being at my booth makes them \"feel\" better, I\'ll sell more stuff.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Funlover

xvs
09-02-2002, 03:29 AM
You\'re right that there was no need for a placebo, but the test might be considered better if you had three different sets:

- some with nothing done to them
- some with pheromone
- some with something else sprayed on them.. deoderant for instance.

This last control would show whether people are selecting ones that smell different rather than being attracted to pheromones.

But I still think that was a rather compelling experiment.

Watcher
09-02-2002, 03:45 PM
Well the hanging around factor is the prime factor - if they are around enough you will boost sales - a mobile example i tried was just trying to wonder around stores - the results i noticed sales increased and i got a few good deals on products that i went to buy over the years. You need alcohol sprays - one they are better for fabrics - last longer on fabrics and have a wider dispersal area. They are inexpesnive for this purpose. The edge is good and PPA should work well (its alcohol based isnt it) attraction unscented would be the best all round but if you were making a success of it then for experimental purposes try andro 4.2 that stuff rocks but the Anone might be an issue (its all anone.)

Use the pheros to youre advantage work on youre sales technique and if you notice this effect working often - it should. Then you should keep using it, once youve made some profits order 2 or 3 bottles at once and the plus side is you can apply a quick shot to youre shirt collars underneath - it shouldnt stain ive tried on leather cotton wool and many other fabric types and no staining yet. Well most women make some sales decisions on how they feel - most female actions and decisions and reactions are based on how they \"feel\" if you have a number of male clients switch to PCC (couplins) should do the same thing. Good luck.

Please sign the petition on this website http://www.chez.com/kristalisator/ (\"http://www.chez.com/kristalisator/\")
So all you anaymous lurkers that view this page go sign up for me they only need 10000 signatures. I want 2 Unlimited to reform.

Funlover
09-02-2002, 04:08 PM
Thanks, Watcher!!

I have some Attraction, but don\'t know if it is scented or not. Is there a way to tell?

I often put two or three (eight foot) tables together at a show and cover them with tablecloths. What about using one pheromone at one end and another at the other end, and seeing if the results vary from end to end? What do you think about doing this?

Thanks again, Watcher. I really appreciate your help.

Funlover

Watcher
09-02-2002, 04:15 PM
Yeah that would show you any differences in responses, but if you have noticed any changes in responses then the pheros are at work. As far as the attraction if it smells like soap or sandlewood then youve got the scented version, there is no real difference both smell ok on a conscious level. But stick with the alcohol or if you want to add an oil based product then mix in a small amount with whatever existing alcohol based prodcut you have. Trust me when i say that pheros have worked for me in a sales setting quite well. The overall effect you are after is a nice buy so try to go heavy on the nol and a little lighter on the none. Thats why i recommened attraction. At those shows you need every advantage you can get - no pun intended either - keep us updated on how it goes.

Please sign the petition on this website http://www.chez.com/kristalisator/ (\"http://www.chez.com/kristalisator/\")
So all you anaymous lurkers that view this page go sign up for me they only need 10000 signatures. I want 2 Unlimited to reform.