PDA

View Full Version : Chem Set Help

**DONOTDELETE**
07-18-2002, 01:43 PM
Chem Set Help

I\'ve been reading through the forum on occasion in an attempt to discover what my next phero order should include. I do like a lot of the products Bruce offers but the more I consider what I want, the more I seem to end up back at a Stone Lab Chemistry Set. Unfortunately, although it\'s concentrated at 1mg/mL, there is only 3mL of each of the 3 types of mones. I wish it came with a little more but then again it\'s always a question of price. I suspect that if my experiences are increasingly positive I will end up purchasing the large separate 10mL bottles of each phero.

OK, so obviously I\'m posting because I need help with some questions I have relating to the set. The first being the base. The kit comes with a 30ml bottle of 50% ethanol base. Does this mean that the other 50% is distilled water? Please forgive my ignorance on this subject but I\'m trying to learn what I can before hand. So is this the best base to mix with the pheros to create a spray solution or would a higher percentage of ethanol be more effcient or effective? Where can I purchase ethanol if I wanted to dilute my mixes further or if I just needed more of a base?

I\'m also thinking about creating some roll-on type oil base solutions as well. I\'ve use unrefined, cold processed Jojoba oil to mix up scented essential oil combinations in the past. It\'s a neutral, non-allergic, natural oil that is good for the skin and will not turn rancid like most other oils when not refrigerated. Has anyone used this as a pheromone base before or does anyone know if this will work? What about oil / di-glycols that some of the other products use as a base? Will these work better and where can one purchase them?

Walter_Mitty
07-18-2002, 03:37 PM
The chem kits are really potent. The three mL size will keep you busy for quite some time. I like the bigger bottles better, they are not as prone to getting knocked over. As far as how much of any one phero to use is subjective, but look at the composition of other products, and the recomendations of the product (like NPA, I model my mixes after its conc, and recomendations for mixing w/ aromas)

EtOH, the stuff that comes with the kit is 50:50 EtOH:water. The source for 95% EtOH is Everclear. If you are able to aquire the stuff it is the best to use for mixing purposes with the Chem Kit. Everything is already in EtOH, why mess with it. I am not sure what oils I would use, but the pheros are in EtOH and you\'d have to find a way to get them into the oil. Poly-ol\'s could be used, but they are viscous and this can be a problem. Also you still have to get the chem kit pheros into the stuff. Not as big of a deal with the poly-ol\'s because EtOH is soluble in them.

After surfing around the board, it seems there is a lot of talk about the carrier. My opinion is it doesn\'t matter. Just ask yourself what you require. Oils are potent and last a long time in a small area. EtOH sprays better, and makes a very fine mist. Once you know what you want, then the only other hurdle is are the pheros soluble in the soln. Pheros don\'t like water, but if they go into soln, problem solved. One last thing about the chem kits is that they are 1mg/mL and that is about the limit of the pheros solubility in EtOH. I don\'t know what the limits are in oil, but I guess it is somewhere near that.

oscar
07-19-2002, 04:36 PM
NYBlues,

The chem-set was one of the best phero purchases I ever made. It\'s really not a bad deal in terms of dollars per milligram of pheros, and FUN-wise it can\'t be beat!

We had a great time when it first came out as you can see on the old \"Chemistry Set Recipes\" thread. There\'s also a load of good info on solvents, carriers, and fragrances here too:

http://www.server2.love-scent.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB4&Number=7179&page=&vie w=&sb=&o=&vc=1 (\"http://www.server2.love-scent.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB4&Number=7179&page=&vie w=&sb=&o=&vc=1\")

It would be nice to see a renewed interest in the chem-set. I still use mine from time to time to punch up an existing product that lacks one or more of the mones, or to make a \"clone\".
The only one of the three pheros that I ran out of, and have sinced replaced is the A-Nol. Still have some of the original None and Rone.

Oscar /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

P.S. Anywhere you see \"dorkis\" on the old thread, that would be Walter Mitty (above).

FerroMone
07-20-2002, 11:01 PM
I am using not a Chem Set but pure crytallised pheros from a lab manufacturer. I would ususally mix this with 70% ethyl alcohol and 30% water mixture. I think that the percentage of alcohol will not affect the effectiveness of the pheros, however the percentage of ethanol will affect greatly the overall smell of the phero mix.

I high concentration of Ethanol on Androstenone creates an unpleasent smell as compared to mix with lower concentration of Alcohol.

The Chem Set, is best if you want a variable mix to evaluate the results of mixes which gives you hits and mixes which does not give you hits.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-21-2002, 11:19 AM
I have heard alcohols can destroy pheros\'. Is there any knowledge about threshold destroying concentrations?
What about manufacturers others than chem set kit ones?
Any good manufacturer lab (good price)? Sigma? Another?
Jojoba oil is a little bit expensive, what about grapeseed oil as a base?

Thanks

Watcher
07-22-2002, 12:40 PM
Sorry the alcohol destroying pheromones is absoulute bullshit perputrated by the fake APC sites that have spammed everyone around the world - quite a good disinformation attempt. No alcohol - ethonol is used to create the pheromones and is a netural carrier where these things are concerned. I have a bottle of andro 4.2 - high Anone and have had it for two years dug it out the other day (it is alcohol based as the carrier) and tried it on and guess what the stuff worked fine. So please forget all the bullshit floating around.
Now as far as good sources for the basic ingredients the chem sets through the stones labs section of the site is what you need a1,rone,nol and none although for the a1 you will have to ask bruce for the link through the privatee mesage section.

oscar
07-22-2002, 02:06 PM
FerroMone,

I\'m curious about what kind of ethanol you\'re mixing with. I use Everclear 95% Grain Alcohol, and while there is a slight alcohol smell straight out of the bottle, the stuff evaporates almost instantly and leaves no residual scent at all. I understand that some ethanol is sold as paint solvent and I wonder if it\'s less pure. The Everclear 95% is a \"drinking-grade\" product.

SAchem,

Watcher\'s right. That stuff about alcohol being harmful to pheros is marketing propaganda.

NYBlues and SAchem,

A good substitute for Jojoba is Vegetable Glycerine. I wrote about it on the thread that I linked on my post above, and the unscented AE mix I made back then is still good with no indication of spoilage after over seven months. The nice thing is that it\'s both water and alcohol soluble, totally scentless, and dirt cheap. You can find it at health food stores.

Oscar /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

FerroMone
07-27-2002, 01:07 AM
Nope, Alcohol does not destroy pheros otherwise Stone Labs and PI would not be effective.

I don\'t have so much experience with using OIL as an inert carrier of pheros.

As to the manufacturers of pheros I usually get them at Sigma but they won\'t sell it to you if you don\'t have a LAB. I am working as a chemist on a research lab that is why i have access to them.

FerroMone
07-27-2002, 01:10 AM
I am using a rubbing alchohl. I would usually redistilled it to remove the scent that was added to it by the manufacturer. Then to dillute the solution i would use EVIAN mineral water. I don\'t know of the trace minerals would affect the phero effectivenes.

DrSmellThis
07-27-2002, 04:01 AM
Rubbing alcohol??? Why?

chummym
07-27-2002, 04:38 PM
ever notice that evian is naive backwards? coincidence i think not /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

BassMan
07-27-2002, 07:51 PM
Here in Florida, at least, there are EtOH based rubbing alcohols. I don\'t trust the stuff they use to denature them, but perhaps that was what he was using?

FerroMone
07-27-2002, 10:56 PM
Is there a difference between using Denatured Alcohol and Pure Ethanol when using it as an inert carrier for pheros?

FerroMone
07-27-2002, 11:00 PM
Yup I am using an Ethanol Based rubbing alcohol. There is only one brand here coz most of our rubbing alcohol are isopropyl. Well i am addicted to the smell of this ethanol based rubbing alcohol, it has a menthol scent and it does not dry your skin unlike isopropyl.

DrSmellThis
07-28-2002, 02:06 AM
Yes, pure, organic ethanol is less poison, and more receptive to carry the erotic \"energy\" of the oils. The stronger the ethanol, the better the dissolution and dispersal will be. You can always dilute later.

And if you\'re desparate, pure ethanol makes a wicked martini. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

FerroMone
07-29-2002, 12:01 AM
well i guess i have to change my mix then. Anyway i hate using oil that is why i am still using ethanol. They are sticky and yuccksss.