PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT REGISTRATIOIN CHANGES

Bruce
05-27-2002, 04:34 PM
This is also important for members who want to REregister with a prefered user name (displayed on the forum).

1. I have made it possible to register a second identity using the same email address. This means that those of you wanting to REregister can do so immediately and THEN write me (email OR private message) asking me to delete your old registration. That should speed things up and avoid other technical screw ups. I may change this feature later on if there are problems, so if you want to change your forum identity, NOW is the time to do it!

2. From now on it will NOT be possible to name your own password when you register. It will be generated by the forum. (I think you can change it later when you log in for the first time) This means that you MUST enter a valid email address and retrieve your password from it in order to log in and post messages.

Please respond here with any questions or problems with this.

Cheers,
Bruce

**DONOTDELETE**
05-28-2002, 03:36 PM
Bruce,

Yo! Will we be able to keep multiple identities, or will one eventually have to go?

Also, interesting,.... The \"Previous\" and \"Next\" buttons seem to be the opposite of what they were on the old board!

Oscar

Bruce
05-28-2002, 03:47 PM
No, please don\'t use multiple identities. There were a few folks doing it on the old forum, and it was always looked pretty obvious and silly to the regulars, so maybe we should just prohibit it. I turned off the email check so folks can do a quick reregister to get the screen name they want, but a few weeks from now, I will go thru all the files deleting duplicates and finally switch the email screening back on. Are you ready to lose your former incarnation?? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Bruce

**DONOTDELETE**
05-28-2002, 03:57 PM
Bruce,

Not yet! In fact, I think I might just un-register this one.
I think I figured out why I lost my old displayed name. Since this board doesn\'t accept spaces in displayed names, it must have defaulted to my log-in name which was simply \"oscar\".

Wilde Oscar

**DONOTDELETE**
05-29-2002, 01:14 PM
Bruce, I have a login and password that work. But, I seem to have my login as my identity. When I goto my prefs to see if I have misdone anyhting, it looks like my \"Name\" should work. I was wondering if your login was locked as your identity?

oscar
06-01-2002, 04:43 PM
Walter,

I believe the space between Walter and Mitty was your undoing, as it was mine. Regrettably it seems there\'s no way to change your identity AND retain seniority (for what it\'s worth) once the board has branded you with your old log-in name.

Oscar /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

Bruce
06-01-2002, 05:56 PM
The main problem is that your login name is locked in as the name that appears as your identity on the forum. Maybe somebody can find some way to switch that, but I haven\'t had any luck. My login has always been the same as my \"real\" name, so I didn\'t have any problems.

In addition to that a couple dozen members had their regsitrations disappear, which I think is due to a space in the login name.

Bruce

Walter_Mitty
06-03-2002, 04:22 PM
Hi all. I just got annoyed and made a new account. I was going to tell Bruce he can delete the ole (sniff) dorkis account. Whelp, I guess I\'ll have to start posting to get back to my 270-something level. Talk to ya\'ll later