PDA

View Full Version : NPA or TE tp mix with??

real_wiseman
05-26-2002, 12:36 AM
Hi everyone!
I have been just a lurker until now, and I must say that this messageboard *rocks*.

I have tried TE and recently also purchased SOE (which I find a little to *oily* for my taste, but the scent is good...).

I was thinking about mixing TE with Polo Sport or Boss in Motion (the new fragrance from Hugo Boss), but when I serched this forum someone mentioned that TE is just NPA in a lot of ethanol and that the ethanol might \"corrupt\" the scent of the aftershave/eau de toilette.

Can anyone confirm this?
Is it better to use NPA?

If this is the case, *how much* NPA should I take for say 5 ml of eau de toilette (Polo Sport) in an atomizer?

Thanks in advance,

Real Wiseman

oscar
05-26-2002, 11:18 AM
real_wiseman,

Welcome to the board!
It\'s not that TE will corrupt a fragrance mix when used in lieu of NPA, just that it adds so much extraneous alcohol that you have to let yoursef air out for a while after applying it. Once the alcohol has dissipated, the resulting scent would be the same as an NPA mix, presuming each were mixed in the proper proportions.
Both TE and NPA WILL change the scent of a fragrance, but usually for the better!

I mix at 5:1, fragrance to NPA for most Eau de toilette strength products. At this concentration, most atomizers that deliver about three drops per spray will give you one full drop of NPA with a 2 spray application. For me, that\'s the ideal dose.

You can mix with TE at ratios closer to 1:1 (like 5:4 or 3:2) since TE is much less concentrated than NPA.
The one instance in which I found TE to be especially useful as a mixer was in jacking up some Lure. Lure has such an intense fragrance that the additional alcohol in the TE helped cut it to reasonable scent levels when mixed 1:1.

A lot depends on the overall potency of your fragrance, and often experimentation with small batches is the best way to find the ideal mix for you. images/icons/wink.gif

Good Luck!
Oscar images/icons/laugh.gif