PDA

View Full Version : sexual orientation?

**DONOTDELETE**
07-13-2001, 02:33 PM
One of the major problems with my recent paper is that I failed to ascertain the womens sexual orientation before they took part in my study.
A follow up study I would like to have tried is for gay men and women. To see if there is any differencess in attractiveness ratings after they had inhailed a male pheromone and then a female pheromone, and rated male and female photos.
Would gays rate the pheromone designed for their own gender as more attractive compared to the opposite gender?
An interesting puzzle I think images/icons/smile.gif

CJ01
07-13-2001, 03:02 PM
Hi,
When we still had the old forum I came across an article which described a phero test on women in Australia.

They put some pheros (didn´t say which ones, well I´m guessing androstenone) onto products and apparantly the women who took the pill responded `better´ ie more enthusiastic to the products with pheros than the women who didn´t take the pill.

I´ll make this quick:

-a gay women would be less likely to go for androstenone than a straight one and a gay woman is also unlikely to take the pill.
they didn´t check whether or not any of the non-pill women were gay or not.

Plus according to a research study, women are suppose to be more responsive to pheros during ovulation. However a womens sex drive tends to increase during this time anyway. Or maybe this is the reason why they´re more receptive during this time.
Sorry, a bit of the original topic.

Hey if you´re gonna resarch in this area, why not add bi people? We´ve had some people enquire about this in the past.
CJ images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
07-14-2001, 04:57 AM
Just goes to show what a facinating area pheromone research is. When i carried out my study i asked the women in my University about sychronisation of periods. Those that would tell, said that in halls of residence nearly all had sychronised their cycles. Has to be an evolutionary advantage thing. That\'s why i believe pheromones have been around since day one. images/icons/laugh.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
07-16-2001, 03:50 PM
Hey dave its a fascinating that womens periods tend to be sychronised so well, the evoluntary thing could be to primative human advantage in the fact that the females would all come into cycle at the same time to ensure that when their was a male around that they could all conceive, i think a look at modern day primates will shed some light on this area of pheromone research because they have 99 % of the same DNA as us, also the ALIEN/UFO theroys might also have a point im not quite sure yet, but it must relate somehow to this whole thing, im open minded on that issue myself, need to see more information before i make up my mind, but as a starter yes a gay and bi study could be undertaken in relation to pheromones and also to really kick the dosage into overdrive as well to see the effects of a massive application on the wearers etc to see if more is really better and more effective or is just not really required as it may only give wearer and those subjected to it a runny nose and a cold as a result, re: to another posts relating to tiredness and runny noses etc