PDA

View Full Version : How could we conduct a scientific research?

pherosilva
04-30-2002, 05:13 AM
This question goes to Bruce and everyone else here. How could we conduct a scientific research on pheromones. Is there an organization or company out there that could do it? I will be more than happy to participate in it. I\'ve seen some reports out there but could something more complete be done?

Whitehall
04-30-2002, 08:23 AM
Most of us wouldn\'t be good subjects for research - we\'re too sophisticated and knowledgable on the subject. Just about all of us can recognize the scent of none, can we not?

Ideal test subjects would have no knowledge of pheromones.

Still, we seem to come up with darn good questions.

oscar
04-30-2002, 02:59 PM
pherosilva,

We ARE conducting scientific research on pheromones! The rules are just a bit more flexible than most research we\'re accustomed to seeing.

Hell, what was it, two weeks before someone figured out that A-1 was a great mitigator of the effects of PMS? If we had assigned this research to a government subsidized entity, it would have been five years and two or three billion dollars down the road before we MIGHT have heard some positive results.

I\'m certainly not saying that ALL research should be done in this way, but putting pheromones into the hands of a bunch of horn-dogs seems a natural choice. images/icons/laugh.gif

Oscar images/icons/wink.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
04-30-2002, 04:39 PM
Well, I for one would appreciate a large scale study. It\'s too hard to gauge responses with an n of 1 with such variable daily factors. Maybe, Bruce can offer free phero samples with the understanding that the sample may contain any phero product at Love Scent or a placebo, and participants must report results on the forum. At the end of 4 weeks, Bruce can reveal to the forum who was in each experimental group!

**DONOTDELETE**
05-01-2002, 12:17 AM
Truth, that\'s a really cool idea. Then we can see whether it\'s the Pheros or not, and which products really work.

BTW I highly believe it\'s the Pheros or I wouldn\'t be here.

Tom
05-01-2002, 12:46 AM
I think if we want to held a research, we must use as much as possible woman and man. and we record the group of people which know about phero and the other which did not know.
And better if we held using as many user as possibel, from States, Europe, Asia, Etc.

Other points, I think the target must not got other factor as disturbance, such as Face (Nice, Standard, Bad), and or word seduction which is not standard.

We must try to use as many combination as possible, using available products. I think if you are very serious about it (and you can prove that your research will be useful), maybe you can try to ask to Bruce, maybe he can give you special price.

Lets say we can test it without the target seeing the objects. and we must know the real reaction, which is not manipulated by social things or because of shy, etc.
maybe we can look at the heart activity, etc.

xvs
05-01-2002, 02:11 AM
The only kinds of studies which are really accepted are called \'controlled double blind\'.

This means that there are two groups -- one is using the substance under test, the other isn\'t. Neither the subject nor the researcher knows who\'s using what (hence \"double blind\")until the data is analyzed at the end of the study.

We have no way of doing that kind of study informally, hence any results we see will always be \"anecdotal\" and not \'scientific\'.

Whitehall
05-01-2002, 09:21 AM
The science is fascinating but I look at pheromone field use as an art.

It\'s something like engineering - you don\'t have to have a complet understanding of, say, a bolt, to know how much load to put on it. Science INFORMS the application but is not necessary to advance the art - which is what we\'re doing.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-01-2002, 12:53 PM
We could do a double blind study if Bruce puts all the products in packages, shuffles them, so that he doesn\'t know who gets what, but a record is kept so that it can be determined in the end. Also, a survey with a scale of 1 to 10 on various dimensions of female interactions (i.e., hits from strangers, mood enhancement, friendliness, etc) can also be used to quantify the results to supplement the anecdotal comments.

pherosilva
05-01-2002, 07:32 PM
TRUTH:
That is a good idea.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-01-2002, 09:10 PM
Well, who would volunteer a month for this experiment?

xvs
05-01-2002, 09:13 PM
Truth:

Good idea. Now do we pay for these samples or not?

They couldn\'t just be off the shelf products because then one could tell them apart by scent.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-01-2002, 10:03 PM
No, the samples should be free to the participants. A month worth of pheros shouldn\'t be valued at more than $5-10 anyway. I think it\'d be best to test newbies who haven\'t tried every product at Love Scent and aren\'t too familiar with them. If you want to test experienced users, you\'ll have to mix the chem kit reagents into standard fragrance.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-02-2002, 05:57 AM
It would be good to not only keep record of target reactions, but also of the effect the sample has on the user. I still believe they are equally important in understanding phero use.