PDA

View Full Version : Drops / ml

Shoe
04-19-2002, 07:20 PM
Well I went nuts this afternoon and counted the number of drops in a full 10ml of SOE. Turns out 378 with my dropper, or about 38 drops per ml. The dropper has a normal looking tip... as far as droppers go... so maybe the previous consensus of 20 drops / ml. is on the low side.

I also put 50 drops of SOE in the a clean roller bottle and counted how many 1-inch swipes I got out of it. It comes out to 1.35 drops / inch, or 1.3 - 1.4 considering it\'s hard to tell which swipe was the last, or if there\'s another couple swipes sticking to the edges of the bottle. I always rolled with enough pressure to keep the ball moving.

If you figure a little more, regardless of the dropper size, this means 28 inches of roll on per ml.

[ May 01, 2002: Message edited by: Shoe ]

**DONOTDELETE**
04-20-2002, 02:35 PM
OK, one more time. 20 drops/mL is only an approxiation for water. The drop size is effected by:

Oriface of the dropper
Surface tension of the liquid
Viscosity of the liquid

Drops to volume ratios are not precise. If you are concerned about precision, find a syringe (or two...) that has a scale on it and use that.

But, you now have a pretty good estimation for your eyedropper. Oh yeah, nice job on measuring the whole thing. I\'d have lost intrest in no time.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-20-2002, 04:33 PM
Well, it sounds like all the estimates for drop sizes with an ethanol solution has been around 35-40, so using drops for measurement may not be bad, as long as you\'re mixing all ethanol solutions. It\'s not like any of us add water to the solution.