PDA

View Full Version : Aftershave vs. cologne w/ NPA

**DONOTDELETE**
04-06-2002, 05:42 AM
Hi All -

Apologies if this has been asked before. Does anyone have any comments on the pros or cons of using aftershave vs. cologne with NPA? Would there be any difference? Assume that the aftershave and cologne are the same \"brand\". I tend to use aftershave more than I do cologne and wonder how to play this out.

Thanks!

.Wiseman

MAJORSOB
04-06-2002, 09:07 AM
Wiseman, Welcome aboard to the sometimes confusing use of Pheromones..I use both as well Dunhills Desire comes in a set i purchased giving me both ..heres what i found out...first you can apply the NPA straight on your face and splash on the aftershave to cover with ..the only problem is the aftershave doesn\'t tend to last very long and the smell of the npa comes through..where as the mixing with cologne blends the two scents well and even adds to the fragrance and hides that none smell much better..hope that helps..Party on!

Whitehall
04-06-2002, 01:39 PM
Aftershave is pretty dilute compared with cologne or eau d\' toliet (edt). That allows different scent/pheromone ratios and need to be allowed for. Of course, different manufacturers may have different formulations that go beyond the different concentrations of fragrance ingredients. The lower concentration may account for the difference in covering duration but maybe not. BTW, I\'d apply the aftershave first then add the pheromones since the fragrance is carried in solvents that move the pheromones - a minor point.

CJ01
04-07-2002, 03:37 AM
Afershave is not very good for the skin and plus at first it reaks,depending on what you´re using and then it fades so it will not cover up the pheros.
You can use an aftershave balm instead, mix it first with the pheros, leave it in the fridge overnight and then try it on to see how the scent blends in with the pheros and how it suits you (or not). Otherwise use a cologne which is more concentrated or try a product that doesn´t stink so much CJ images/icons/smile.gif

Teak
04-28-2002, 02:49 AM
I\'ve tended to have aftershave more than eau de toilette, but just because of what was on sale at the time more than anything. Although most aftershaves do come in an open bottle, which makes mixing a pheromone additive pretty easy. Where as many eau de toilette\'s come with a sealed spray top (although some are screw-on, like CK be for example).

As for the difference in strength, it\'s very comflicting and could well depend on the brand if there is any real difference between \'aftershave\' and \'eau de toilette\' products. One could just be a splash version and another a spray on version. I guess the more expensive one would suggest it\'s stronger though. I\'d assume most are made up of alcohol, aqua (aka water) and fragance oils, with the different concentrations of them deciding how strong the aroma will be and thus last. The alcohol should help the fragrance emanate from your skin, so others can smell it since the alcohol will evapourate taking some of the fragrance with it. Some say aftershave has less alcohol (kinder to the face) and that\'s why the fragrance doesn\'t last as long. Other say aftershave contains less oils and fragrance (again kinder to the face). I guess aftershave contains less alcohol and fragrance and that is why it is normally slightly cheaper. Supposedly the strength of oil and fragrance goes like this (strongest to weakest):

Perfume
Eau de Perfume (15-18% fragrance oil?)
Eau de Toilette (4-8% fragrance oil?)
Eau de Cologne (3-5% fragrance oil?)
Aftershave (0.5-2% fragrance oil?)

Although supposedly eau de toilette and eau de cologne are generally interchangeable, especially in men\'s fragrances.

Also people with dry skin might find the fragrance doesn\'t hold as long because oily skin has more natural moisture to hold in the fragrance. PH levels will also determine how each ingredient in a fragrance will react. I guess this explains why some find products react differently on different area on the body over time. Supposedly the best place to put fragrances on your body are your pulse points (back of neck, behind ears, crook of arms and knees and on the upper chest).

[ April 28, 2002: Message edited by: Teak ]