PDA

View Full Version : Pheromones and Surrogates

TheAttractor
10-13-2009, 06:23 PM
To

fully appreciate this thread, you have to have seen or at least know the plot for the movie Surrogates. If

not, read here

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrogates_%28film%29"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrogates_%28film%29[/UR

L] (contains spoilers). In the movie, people stay home most of the time, and navigate the world through remotely

controlled robots that transmit everything back to the human hosts (called "operators" in the movie).

Now

let's bring pheromones into the equation. What if we (referring to society at large) had surrogates like in the

movie? How would the whole pheromone thing work? (In the movie, only deluxe models have all five senses; the basic

ones have only sight and hearing.) Would we be able to do wonders I can't even thing of? Would this site be

useless, because all interaction is taking place through robots, which don't have the VNO organ responsible for

detecting pheromones in humans. Or would there be some sort of WiFi-like device designed to affect other

surrogates' actions (and consequently, their human hosts' thoughts)? But if the hosts are the ones exercising

the free will, how can they be affected by pheromones if they're inside their homes many miles away? The questions

can get as complex as you make them.

But, hey, if anyone wants to start a discussion or debate about this, feel

free. I really liked the movie, and thought I should include it as a topic on here; could be fun. Anyway, posts

your thoughts on the whole pheromones and surrogates thing.

Rbt
10-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Not an expert at all, but from what

I have gathered, we have yet to determine just what serves as a pheromone "receptor" in humans. There is still quite

a bit of debate over weather humans even have a "true" VNO or similar, where it is, or even if we have a VNO, if

it's even active. Our pheromone receptors could be separate, or even somehow tied in with our "regular" sense of

smell receptors. Still not "proven."

Step 1 therefor is to ID the way humans percieve or "translate"

pheromone molecules.

Step 2 would be building an "artificial" receptor, much like today's artificial noses

(which are still relatively crude).

Combined with Step 2, Step 3 would be to design some sort of pheromone

"transmitter/emitter" to install in the surrogate.

All in all probably a silly undertaking. Maybe it would be

best just to build a electronic transmitter that broadcast a code that would be picked up by the other surrogate's

receiver that encoded the owner's phero sig. Of course we would also have to have decoded and quantified that

signature as well... (also based on the assumption you used your "real" signature and not just made up an "ideal"

[as far as you were concerned] "enhanced" [ie fake] one).