PDA

View Full Version : Stuttgart-Man

idesign
01-15-2009, 05:21 AM
Hey S-M!

Would you

mind if I sent you a private email? I'll be in your city next month and could use some advice. I have access to

your email address so you don't have to post it here.

Thanks!
Greg

stuttgart-man
01-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi Idesign, have just look

in my email-account but I could not find a mail from you! Perhaps the mail was mistakened filtered out, because the

system has it seen as spam! And the "spam"-mails are deleted by the system after three days!
Could you mail me

again please?

idesign
01-16-2009, 04:53 PM
I didn't send it yet S-M, but

now that I have your permission I will! I didn't want to "spam" you from the forum. Thanks for the reply!

idesign
01-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Email sent S-M! From idesigngr

at yahoo

stuttgart-man
01-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Hallo Idesign, have just

send you an email about interest places in and around stuttgart! I hope the dates are still up to date, as I am only

rarely in the center of stuttgart (live in a subburb of stuttgart) and do not like museums ;) and so many dates I

have mentioned are from my youth-time!
I hope you have a nice time in Germany! :)

Stuttgart-man

idesign
01-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks S-M! I got your email.

I'll let you know how the trip goes. I'm sure it will be great. I've always wanted to visit your country, and

finally I have the opportunity.

I've been looking at the temperature there, is there anything you can do about

making it warmer next month? :rofl:

stuttgart-man
01-23-2009, 07:22 AM
I've been looking at the temperature there, is there anything you can do about making it

warmer next month? :rofl:

I will contact the meteorogolists that they will bring warm weather next

month ;)

Rbt
01-23-2009, 08:48 AM
One wonders if someday in the future

the weatherman/meteorologists really *will* control the weather rather than just forcast it...

"Expect a light

rain from 0200 to 0400 Tuesday, sunny, with an average of 12 clouds in the sky during the day and with temperatures

following our standard gradient for this date..."

idesign
01-23-2009, 05:09 PM
You've inspired me Rbt. I'll

get a huge V-12 SUV and drive it around as much as possible for the next month. That should create enough "carbon

footprint" to raise temps in Europe 10C by February, just about right. Thank God for Al Gore, without his

"leadership" I'd freeze in Germany.

"... thanks for that report on gas shortages in North Carolina Fred. And

now some breaking weather news from our meteorologist, Wink Martindale, on location from Southern Germany..."

Rbt
01-24-2009, 07:15 PM
You've

inspired me Rbt. I'll get a huge V-12 SUV and drive it around as much as possible for the next month. That should

create enough "carbon footprint" to raise temps in Europe 10C by February, just about right. Thank God for Al Gore,

without his "leadership" I'd freeze in Germany.

"... thanks for that report on gas shortages in North Carolina

Fred. And now some breaking weather news from our meteorologist, Wink Martindale, on location from Southern

Germany..."

You're welcome.

As we are experiencing near record cold in my neck of the woods this

winter I am starting to wonder about the "warming" part or "global warming."
Shoot, even Miami Florida was getting

frost warnings this past week.

Hey! Maybe we're on to something here... What with the nasty high petrol prices

this past year, the big driving cutbacks by folks who couldn't afford to feed their Lincoln Navigators and Hummers,

therefore the reduced pollution emissions recently.... no wonder the temps have plummeted! Get out there and drive

folks if you want a warm summer!
:thumbsup:

stuttgart-man
01-25-2009, 08:08 AM
Oil-prices are crashed in

the past months, so the weather should become warmer next time :rofl:

stuttgart-man
01-25-2009, 08:17 AM
And if yet share-prices

rises than the folk have much money to buy much (cheap) petrol and then they can drive many thousands of miles and

we get a really hot summer \o/

Rbt
01-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Except for some odd reason it seems

that at least around here even as oil prices go down, the price for gas/petrol at our local stations is going up,

again...

We also get hit during the summer months because where I live they must sell "reformulated"

low-pollution gas/petrol, which is more expensive.

Of course it's stupid. I used to visit relatives in another

state where such "summer gas" wasn't required. Not only was it cheaper, I got far better fuel economy. I would burn

almost a full tank of gas going to them on "my" gasoline, but after I filled up on "their" gasoline for the trip

back, I would only go through about half a tank of gas. Distance covered was identical. So in the end I would burn

less gasoline and probably contribute less pollution with the "regular" fuel, rather than with the "low pollution"

fuel... Go figure.

Politicians - phooey.

idesign
01-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Oil-prices are crashed in the past months, so the weather should become warmer next

time

An astute observation! But stocks and banks have crashed too, so there is no money and no demand.

What we need is more government intervention. They can give money to the banks, who can loan it to the

investors at low rates (see Fed Reserve Bank, see Greenspan legacy), who will start buying more oil, which will

create more demand for crude, which will raise prices, and we'll get to pay twice! At the gas pump and in more

government debt! (and, sooner or later, taxes) So, we can't afford to drive.

Wait a second... did I just "cure"

global warming? Ha! I just predicted the political future.

Replay that same basic scenario in the housing

market (with adamant Congressional "encouragement") and you'll see the future, and the past which led us here.

idesign
01-29-2009, 05:04 PM
We also get

hit during the summer months because where I live they must sell "reformulated" low-pollution gas/petrol, which is

more expensive.

Of course it's stupid. I used to visit relatives in another state where such "summer gas"

wasn't required. Not only was it cheaper, I got far better fuel economy. I would burn almost a full tank of gas

going to them on "my" gasoline, but after I filled up on "their" gasoline for the trip back, I would only go through

about half a tank of gas. Distance covered was identical. So in the end I would burn less gasoline and probably

contribute less pollution with the "regular" fuel, rather than with the "low pollution" fuel... Go figure.

Politicians - phooey.

Well Rbt, as of yesterday (or the day before) Our Benevolent President has signed

legislation which will pretty much duplicates your scenario across the country, and then some. Look for everything

auto-related to become more expensive, from cars to petrol.

At a time when the auto industry is in shambles,

they have to deal with irrational gov't mandated controls. Sighhhhhh....

Its a shame that Obama has not learned

from the lessons of the sadly failed third-world economics of his Father's heritage, which he supported (Kenya),

and is determined to drag America into that same dump of economic tyranny and failure. Its only the beginning of

sorrows with this president.

stuttgart-man
01-30-2009, 12:56 PM
An

astute observation! But stocks and banks have crashed too, so there is no money and no demand.

What we need is

more government intervention. They can give money to the banks, who can loan it to the investors at low rates (see

Fed Reserve Bank, see Greenspan legacy), who will start buying more oil, which will create more demand for crude,

which will raise prices, and we'll get to pay twice! At the gas pump and in more government debt! (and, sooner or

later, taxes) So, we can't afford to drive.

Wait a second... did I just "cure" global warming? Ha! I just

predicted the political future.

Replay that same basic scenario in the housing market (with adamant Congressional

"encouragement") and you'll see the future, and the past which led us here.

Why the Fed and/or the ECB

do not loan money to private persons (of course limited to an amount of for example $2000) and companies (loan

limited by the number of employees or turnover) too? this would create a strong demand and the tax payer have not to

pay anything because the money payed by the Fed / ECB is new created!

Yes this is usually dangerous because this

could push the inflation rate, but at the moment people are not willing to buy anything and so this threat is

low!

Furthermore the Fed / ECB could reduce the bank rate to nearly zero and so the banks can get cheap money!

idesign
01-30-2009, 05:41 PM
A significant tax cut would

achieve a better purpose... prosperity. Reduce gov't intervention and let business and people do what they do

better than gov't: manage money.

Mtnjim
02-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Reduce

gov't intervention and let business and people do what they do better than gov't: manage

money.

Exactly what a former President said in a previous down turn.

His name Herbert Hoover, perhaps

you've heard of him??:angel:

idesign
02-04-2009, 08:21 PM
If I recall, it was partly a top

tax rate of 70%+ that led to the Big Crash and Bigger Depression. Suck the life out of all the bulls, and

you're left with a herd of cows, in Washington, fat with milk.

After the stuff hit the fan, Hoover was a "big

gov't", fix-it-by-policy politician if ever there was one, only to be surpassed by FDR, who was able to pass more

of Hoover's bloated "reform" policies. Americans learn to suck the teat of dependency and the cows keep

"producing".

Mtnjim
02-05-2009, 06:51 PM
If I recall,

it was partly a top tax rate of 70%+ that led to the Big Crash and Bigger Depression

Though the rate

did get to all the way up to 4% in 1934, in 1929, the year of the crash it was

less than

1%. (http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2008/11/10x-increase-in-taxes-during-great.html)

The chart above shows the increases in the lowest marginal tax

bracket between 1929 and 1940, which for all years applied to taxable income between $0 and $4,000. Starting from

.375% in 1929, the lowest rate tripled to 1.125% in 1930, and then increased again by more than 3.5 times to 4% in

1932, for a total increase of more than 10 times. Then again

By imputation, one

needed to be at the 92nd percentile of income or higher to pay any income taxes in The Great

Depression.
Then again Corporate rates were a tad higher, perhaps that's what you are thinking of.

stuttgart-man
03-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Hey Idesign,

you are

already back at home? How was your journey to Stuttgart? Hope you have had a nice time there :)

idesign
03-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Hey

Idesign,

you are already back at home? How was your journey to Stuttgart? Hope you have had a nice time there

:)

Thanks S-M, but due to some complications I never made the trip! I do have something scheduled for

late April or early May though, and think that would be a better time to visit anyway. Warmer weather! I'll keep

you posted, and I've saved your email with all the good advice.

In fact, on this trip, I'll be driving into

Germany from the southeast. Anything great to see in that part of the country? Along the E60 from Wien to Munich,

then to Stuttgart?

Use my private email if you like.

idesign
03-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Though the

rate did get to all the way up to 4% in 1934, in 1929, the year of the crash it was

less than 1%. (http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2008/11/10x-increase-in-taxes-during-great.html)

Then

again

Then again Corporate rates were a tad higher, perhaps that's what you are thinking of.

Sorry

Jim, I completely forgot about this thread. What I was referring to was the the top marginal rate

before the depression. Confiscatory tax rates on employers never did anyone any good, ditto for huge

gov't programs, as we're about to see. :)