PDA

View Full Version : Don't Forget to Vote!

Bruce
11-04-2008, 03:57 PM
If you haven't

done so already, please go vote!

belgareth
11-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Did that as soon as the polls

opened, 11 hours ago.

All the rest of you, I hope you have done so as well, please!

Rbt
11-04-2008, 07:10 PM
The best part is now all those

annoying TV ads, phone calls, and door flyers WILL GO AWAY after today...

Hmmm... an idea. If there was some way

to tie in "early voting" to having all that go away immediately after you voted... We'd probably have 100% turnout

the first day early voting was offered...

But then again I always like to wait till the official day just in

case I change my mind... if I've managed to make my mind up by then that is. The poll workers get annoyed at me

with all that coin flipping I do in the voting booth...

belgareth
11-04-2008, 08:42 PM
This year I used a new policy.

Anybody I got a robo-call from was voted against. And, as always, anything that increased taxes, debt or government

power got voted against.

Bruce
11-05-2008, 08:52 AM
We have 100% mail-in/drop-off

balloting here in Oregon now. I always wait until the very last second, which is always a hoot as a crowd gathers

around the drop-off box minutes before the shut it down.

So, who was it said Obama was "unelectable" anyway?

:-)

koolking1
11-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Joe the Dog Catcher could have beat McCain, lol

Rbt
11-05-2008, 11:53 AM
I'll say this about the Bush

administration. Our county had a 73.64% voter turnout. I think people were annoyed...

Bruce
11-05-2008, 12:46 PM
I'll say this

about the Bush administration. Our county had a 73.64% voter turnout. I think people were

annoyed...

That is pretty amazing. There were some counties in Oregon bragging better than 80%.

Nationwide (64%) it was the best turnout since 1908! What is it normally? Around 50%?

idesign
11-05-2008, 04:10 PM
So, who

was it said Obama was "unelectable" anyway? :-)

<blush> :wave:

But you can't blame a guy for

having his own brand of "Hope".

Rbt
11-06-2008, 09:03 AM
<blush>

:wave:

But you can't blame a guy for having his own brand of "Hope".

But you have to consider that

just about every election in this country comes down to a choice between the "lesser of the evils." To you, Obama

may have seen "unelectable," but when paired against someone even more unelectable... (or, in this case, represents

a party that faced a very major uphill battle).

McCain IMO is indeed probably better qualified to be Presidient,

but at least for me, the philosophy of the Republican party and it's attempts to dismantle the 1st Ammendment

(especially concerning freedom from/of religion) forced me to go for a Democratic Party Executive branch this time

around (primary concern is Supreme Court nominations). But I also supported our Republican Senators and

Representatives as a check and balance.

We've had good Presidents and disasterous Presidents, but so far we are

still here...

I remember comments that the world was about to end when JFK was elected... (We'll be ruled by

the Pope!)

Didn't happen.

Could be worse.

PS: We had something like 24 cadididates for President

nationwide, including in some states a "none of the above" option. Not all candidates made it on all the state's

ballots.

Pity poor Bradford Lyttle of the US Pacifist Party who got a whopping 98 votes *nationwide.*

http://news.aol.com/elections/2008/president?flv=1&icid=templatized_template_test.M

idesign
11-06-2008, 03:44 PM
But you have

to consider that just about every election in this country comes down to a choice between the "lesser of the evils."

To you, Obama may have seen "unelectable," but when paired against someone even more unelectable... (or, in this

case, represents a party that faced a very major uphill battle).

McCain IMO is indeed probably better qualified

to be Presidient, but at least for me, the philosophy of the Republican party and it's attempts to dismantle the

1st Ammendment (especially concerning freedom from/of religion) forced me to go for a Democratic Party Executive

branch this time around (primary concern is Supreme Court nominations). But I also supported our Republican Senators

and Representatives as a check and balance.

We've had good Presidents and disasterous Presidents, but so far we

are still here...

I remember comments that the world was about to end when JFK was elected... (We'll be ruled

by the Pope!)

Didn't happen.

Could be worse.

Very good points Rbt, and I'll both agree and

disagree.

I suppose we can count on America's strength and resiliency to see us through a bad President, maybe

even a very bad one.

OTOH Obama is pretty questionable in terms of character, experience and ideology. We'll

see how "moderate" his self-claims turn out to be. I'm very suspicious. One of my fears is that he'll actually

DO some of the things he's said he'll do. His tax plan, for example, would be ruinous.

Pity poor Bradford Lyttle of the US Pacifist Party who got a whopping 98 votes *nationwide.*

98 votes?!? Even Belgareth got more than that!

Rbt
11-07-2008, 09:37 AM
OTOH Obama is

pretty questionable in terms of character, experience and ideology. We'll see how "moderate" his self-claims turn

out to be. I'm very suspicious. One of my fears is that he'll actually DO some of the things he's said he'll do.

His tax plan, for example, would be ruinous.

I can't disagree there. I too feel he's not quite up to

snuff. Fortunately no one man can do it alone, either in terms of running the country or ruining the country. It

will be a combination of the rest of the staff in the Executive Branch, as well as getting through the Legislative

Branch as well. Again, fortunately, there were enough Republican hold-ons and victories to keep a reign on things

going through Congress. Plus even then programs need to be implimented. It could take years before anything actually

happens. Witness how well things are going in Louisiana with the Katrina clean up.

As usual, I just make sure I

cover my ass as well as I can DESPITE Washington DC. So far so good. Just need to stay adaptable (and have places to

hide).