PDA

View Full Version : Fact Or Fiction?

MOBLEYC57
07-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Another "Just in

case." :wave:

Most of us use credit/debit cards at the gas pump. With the price of gas and people getting

desperate, this is likely to occur more often.

Please be careful out there!

A co-worker used her credit/debit

card to purchase gas at the pump (like most of us do). She received her receipt like normal. However, when she

checked her statement, there were two $50 charges added in addition to her purchase.

Upon investigation, she

found out that because she did not press the 'CLEAR' button on the pump, the employee Inside the store was able to

use her card to purchase his/her own gas!

To keep this from happening, after you get your receipt, you must

press the 'CLEAR' button or your information will be stored until the next customer inserts their card. Be sure to

tell all your family and friends so that this doesn't :nono: happen to them!:run:

Bruce
07-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Hi Mobes,

Snopes.com to the

rescue;
http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/clear.asp

You can't beat snopes for checking out

internet legends.

MOBLEYC57
07-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Hi Mobes,

Snopes.com to the rescue;
http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/clear.asp

You can't beat snopes

for checking out internet legends.

Thanks, Bruce! :wave:

Never heard of Snopes, but it's now in my

favorites so I can check from now on out. :run:

Rbt
07-14-2008, 02:31 PM
There *have* been supposedly legit

reports of people getting a suprise at the pump. Some will set the nozzle to fill while they walk into the store

part to buy something. In the meantime the guy on the other side of the pump "borrows" their hose and fills his own

tank while they are gone, then leaves, sticking them with the total bill.

There was also some legit security

video footage that shows people prying open the pump (out of sight of the attendant) and supposedly manipulating

something inside (they don't say what) that lets them pump gas without charge. Showed up on TV newscast so this

story *may* have some truth to it.

Another tidbit was a TV report on people who drive into Mexico to fill up.

Seems gasoline is subsidized there and is about half the price of US gas. Showed how people had outfitted their

vehicles with auxilliary tanks (eg in the bed of a pickup). I can see it now... someone digging a tunnel under the

border not to smuggle people, but lay a gasoline supply pipe...

Kmac
07-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Just my two cents, I've worked in

the banking industry for too long now!

But really, if it all possible never use an ATM/Debit card at a gas pump,

you wouldn't believe the horror stories out there from 1,000's of folks every month that have these kind of things

happen to them and worse!

Always use a credit card at a gas pump, and if you don't have a credit card, walk into

the place and swipe your debit card inside and get your receipt...Paying at the pump with a debit card is really

asking for trouble if you use something that is directly connected to your primary checking account!!!