PDA

View Full Version : Wm. F Buckley

idesign
02-27-2008, 05:04 PM
This will only have have

meaning for us older members, but I felt compelled to note his passing.

Undisputably the father of modern

conservatism, he was quite a remarkable man. Author, prodigious thinker, avid sailor, TV personality, etc

etc.

His books not only included political/social works, but also sailing and spy novels.

If you've ever

seen him talk or debate, you can't help but be mesmerized by his uncannily nimble mind, and mischievious twinkle in

his eye as he entertained probably a billion thoughts simultaneously before settling on the perfect idea. You could

almost see him think.

His passing is a loss, but he left an incredible legacy.

DrSmellThis
02-28-2008, 05:43 PM
This

will only have have meaning for us older members, but I felt compelled to note his passing.

Undisputably the

father of modern conservatism, he was quite a remarkable man. Author, prodigious thinker, avid sailor, TV

personality, etc etc.

His books not only included political/social works, but also sailing and spy novels.

If you've ever seen him talk or debate, you can't help but be mesmerized by his uncannily nimble mind, and

mischievious twinkle in his eye as he entertained probably a billion thoughts simultaneously before settling on the

perfect idea. You could almost see him think.

His passing is a loss, but he left an incredible

legacy.I'm not too conservative these days (just in some things), but was always a big Buckley fan,

probably moreso than most conservatives are. I loved the rigorous intellectual approach he brought. If only everyone

was like him, our political discourse would be great in this country.

I always loved that he favored legalizing

cannabis. The war on drugs has been a huge waste of money, and has clogged our prisons unnecessarily.

I will

miss him. He always commanded my attention. I hardly watch TV at all, but did some over the holidays, and found I

still enjoyed his thinking.

Dude could discuss history, philosophy, and theology as well. He really was about

the only TV commentator that was a legitimate intellectual.

belgareth
02-28-2008, 06:26 PM
I

always loved that he favored legalizing cannabis. The war on drugs has been a huge waste of money, and has clogged

our prisons unnecessarily.

Doc, I'm getting worried again. We agree on something else! But don't limit

it to pot, criminalizing drugs in general is a dumb idea.

If only everyone was like

him, our political discourse would be great in this country.

It would sure get boring though.

Mtnjim
02-28-2008, 06:41 PM
But don't

limit it to pot, criminalizing drugs in general is a dumb idea.

But....but...nanny has to take care of

us, we're too dumb to know what's best for ourselves.

idesign
02-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Buckley was feisty enough, but

intellectually so. He would just not let you get away with anything less than a fully considered position. His

impeccable manner - as much as his intellect - made him a man that you could not easily dislike, or dismiss.

Doc,

good comment about his ability to engage on any subject, but don't you find that "true" intellectuals have this

ability? Renaissance man "syndrome"?

One thing that compelled me to post this thread is that I don't know if

there is anyone on the scene today who has his combination of intellect, diverse and comprehensive thinking, civil

manner and sheer likability.

idesign
02-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Doc,

I'm getting worried again. We agree on something else! But don't limit it to pot, criminalizing drugs in general

is a dumb idea.

But....but...nanny has to take care of us, we're too dumb to know

what's best for ourselves.

I'll love to hear your remarks when they start to ban Big Macs. :rofl:

belgareth
02-28-2008, 08:39 PM
I'll

love to hear your remarks when they start to ban Big Macs. :rofl:
It' coming, along with ice cream and

mandatory physical fitness enforced through taxation.

DrSmellThis
02-29-2008, 05:19 AM
Bel, I agree criminalizing

drugs in general was stupid. Maybe 99/100 people who use drugs do so judiciously, and the rest have a right to kill

themselves if they so choose.

Remaining problems with drugs, such as organized crime/gangs, would be lessened

by removing the criminal issue. It makes much more sense to invest in treatment for drug addicts as well as

education/prevention, as these efforts actually do some measurable good.

Out here in Oregon they have legal

medical MJ. Just that variation in the law has made a huge difference, since no one needs to deal with anyone

outside of Oregon to get pot any more. The organized crime element has essentially been removed. You never hear

about it any more.

Pretty refreshing. You hear things like, "yeah, I grow it legally in my back yard."

belgareth
02-29-2008, 08:14 AM
To carry your thought a little

further, decriminalizing drugs would be a devastating blow to organized crime while drastically reducing violent

street crime. In addition, the burden placed on the taxpayer could be reduced or money (We all know how the

government hates to give up our money) spent on helping people instead of on arresting them. Taxes generated through

drug sales could be used for drug education.

Putting aside all the rational arguments for decriminalization, the

bottom line is that if you want to eat cheeseburgers, jump off bridges or inject drugs into your veins it is not the

government's right to tell you that you can't. It's none of their business so long as you are not harming

somebody else!

koolking1
02-29-2008, 08:37 AM
"One thing that compelled

me to post this thread is that I don't know if there is anyone on the scene today who has his combination of

intellect, diverse and comprehensive thinking, civil manner and sheer likability."

Take away the "sheer

likability" and how's about Gore Vidal? Not that I don't like him, his gayness is off-putting to some.

I've always liked Mr. Buckley from a young age, he always seemed to me like Walter Cronkite, trustworthy

and calming in the storm. He would have made a great president had he gone that route.

If you legalize

drugs, and I think they should be myself, you also take the mystique out of it that so compels the young to

experiment. Once they try weed they think "why are people in authority lying to me" and then try something stronger

as they think that too is being lied about. And, now, the big lie is finally coming home to roost - legal prozac is

nothing but a farce and is no better than a placebo.

idesign
03-01-2008, 03:59 PM
"I

don't know if there is anyone on the scene today who has his (Buckley's) combination of intellect, diverse and

comprehensive thinking, civil manner and sheer likability."

Take away the "sheer likability" and how's about

Gore Vidal? Not that I don't like him, his gayness is off-putting to some.

I heard a snippet of a

debate between B and V the other day. They were going at it like cats.

Vidal's views would be pretty much

diametrically opposed Buckley's, but he is definitely a commanding intellect. I've read a few of his historical

fiction novels and they're brilliantly done.

They would be in the same league, but Vidal is not in the same

class. Not because of his being gay, but I think his intellect is colored by some sort of emotional negativity or

even bitterness. Rather than letting his intellect lead, he uses it to "prove" some point he perceives as right

before engaging reason. This probably makes no sense... hmmmm... its just that I've always thought Vidal had an

agenda that leads his thinking.

Good one KK.

idesign
03-01-2008, 04:09 PM
BTW, Fox News is airing a

special program on Buckley tonight (Sunday) at 10:00 EST.