PDA

View Full Version : Florida primaries

idesign
01-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Good to see that

Hillary won so decisively. It shows that Obama does not have the national appeal which was assumed after his SC

trouncing of Clinton.

Obama has been the recipient of some very feel-good endorsements and positive action

lately. I'd begun to get worried. Now that Hillary has Florida it seems the Dems are still unsure of their next

hero.

Hillary is unelectable, and as soon as America gets a better feel for who Obama actually is, he will be

unelectable. I think that will happen, unless he chooses to be an empty candidate to the end, in which case I still

don't think he can win.

My greatest fear is that the electorate will fall for the cheap light bulb which Obama

personifies.

The GOP is harder to predict. At least they are discussing some issues, and their debate has a

modicum of substance.

Still too early to tell on any of this, but the race is actually exciting this time.

koolking1
01-30-2008, 06:18 AM
they both are

unelectable?

"Hillary is unelectable, and as soon as America gets a better feel for who Obama actually is, he

will be unelectable. I think that will happen, unless he chooses to be an empty candidate to the end, in which case

I still don't think he can win."

It doesn't look like Edwards can pick up the pieces though. Some good

news is that the Clinton's are alienating one of their bases, the Black vote. HRC definitely has the 55+ female

vote locked up, saw it with my own eyes here in New Hampshire while standing outside the poll with my Ron Paul sign.

Trudy is history and will endorse McCain. McCain was running out of money but seems to have gained some

steam with the help of the neocon Lieberman. Huckabee is running out of money. Ron Paul has money and rabidly

ardent supporters and the longer he hangs in there the more exposure he will finally get, the MSM will find it

harder and harder to ignore him. There's still a long ways to go and it's down to 4 candidates now. I think

though that the Ron Paul campaign has made some serious errors in judgement. They, at least here in NH, didn't

effectively use their supporters wisely, they let them "run with it" here and they really needed to reign them in

and be better organized. A lot of money was spent here with ineffective and finally annoyingly repetetive radio

commercials. They also made the "immigration" issue far too important for NH voters, it's not much of an issue

here. They were too afraid to hammer home the anti-war message which is the main thing that sets RP apart from the

rest of the pack. Also, he's lost some serious support for his refusal to demand a vote recount here in NH. His

supporters are all about "freedom" and having an honest election is high on their priority list.

With some

70% of the voters wanting the war in Iraq over now, it's quite surprising to see John "100 years in Iraq" McCain

winning, it's really inexplicable to me. He'll go on to attack Iran and then where will we be?

idesign
01-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Well, I think for sure that

Hillary is unelectable. And its my gut feeling that the more Obama opens his mouth in the coming months that he

will be revealed for what he is, empty. This may be moot after next Tuesday, when hopefully we'll only have one of

them left to listen to.

If its as you say, I agree with your assessment of the Paul campaign. He's

inexperienced on this level though so you can't fault him. He must have had advisers though, maybe not good

ones.

The GOP race is very interesting. McCain is running strong, but he's got some hard places to run through,

ie some southern and midwest states, where his watered down "conservative" message may not play as well as a

Huckabee or even Romney.

I think the economy is becoming the forefront issue. Even the MSM is making positive

reports from Iraq. This whole "stimulus package" boondoggle, along with all that caused it, is capturing the press

and the people.

As the focus shifts to the economy it helps Romney. McCain is a one-issue candidate, just like

Giuliani. Feb 5 will be very interesting indeed.

Thanks kk, this is fun.

koolking1
01-31-2008, 10:47 AM
personally I believe

that McCain can't win and he knows it. He's just their candidate to lose to HRC. There are many skeletons in

McCain's closet and I feel the White House, after having had 7 years to go through the military and other records

of anyone they please, will get some negative press out on McCain. We'll have had 4 years of Bush Sr, 8 years of

Bush Sr's adopted son - Bill Clinton, 8 years of Bush Jr, and then 4-8 years of Bush Sr's adopted DIL Hillary,

with Jeb standing by for his turn at the helm of our Royal Family.

John McCain just the other day used the

"gook" word and there goes all the Asians who might have considered voting for him.

Ron Paul is Hillary's

worst nightmare, not John McCain. Ron Paul is going to have to make some serious moves and soon, 3rd party kind of

moves unless he feels that Romney and McCain will eventually flame out due to their feuding.

idesign
01-31-2008, 04:56 PM
personally I believe that McCain can't win and he knows it. He's just their candidate to

lose to HRC. There are many skeletons in McCain's closet and I feel the White House, after having had 7 years to

go through the military and other records of anyone they please, will get some negative press out on McCain.

Totally agree with you about McCain, he's closer to Hillary and Obama than he is to conservative.

He's basically a 60s Democrat. Its depressing that he's the front runner, but there's a long way to go and

anything can happen. It really pisses me off that Thompson handled his entry and campaign so

poorly.

Ron Paul is Hillary's worst nightmare, not John McCain. Ron Paul is going to

have to make some serious moves and soon, 3rd party kind of moves unless he feels that Romney and McCain will

eventually flame out due to their feuding.

Agree also that Paul could make mincemeat of Hillary, but I

don't think Paul has the right "package" to be a contender. As you've said, his organization sucks. He has money

but not enough, and he really is not very good at getting his own message out. Most people know his name only

because of his unique campaign, mostly run on the internet and counting on a strung out grass roots support base.

Its too bad, he at least deserves to be heard. It doesn't help that he gets no airtime.

koolking1
02-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Ron Paul was mauled by the CNN

moderator of the debate the other night (not by the other candidates though). There's two ways to look at it:

people might think he's too weak to be President cause he doesn't stand up to the rudeness sufficiently or

people might think that he's highly principled by suffering through it with politeness. I'm not sure either of

those scenarios help his cause. And, I hope we are both right about McCain not getting elected, we'll be in a

wider MidEast war for sure, a war that might escalate into something truly horrible.

As far as I know,

Edwards hasn't endorsed anyone yet. That will be interesting when he finally does so.

But, geez, Hillary

is unelectable as is Obama. I sure would like to see Ron Paul as President but would be ok with Romney or Huckabee.

Who do we have?

Paul
McCain
Romney
Huckabee
Clinton
Obama

6 viable contenders to be

President of the USA. I'll rank my

preferences:

Paul
Romney
Huckabee
Obama
Clinton
McCain

and I'd be interested in how

you and others would rank their choice.

idesign
02-01-2008, 06:06 PM
I keep forgetting that these are

only the primaries, and once we get to a general election scenario everything changes. No matter who wins their

respective primary, each will tune their campaign to the other, and it's less of a free for all.

OK, back to

menagerie. Yep, Paul is not treated all that well, and its too bad. Of all the candidates he is the only one who

actually speaks clearly and intelligently about his ideas. His main fault is that he's not really a national

candidate.

Your comment about CNN made me think of the power of the media to promote (or demote) candidates.

I only *hope* that Obama is unelectable. He's smooth, is very careful not to say anything meaningful and is

the most liberal-voting US Senator, which means a lot of people will eat him up. I don't think McCain will be a

tough enough adversary to call him out. Romney or Huckabee could face him down on all of his nonsense and make him

actually say that he wants to rape our bank accounts to pay for more failed gov't programs.

I don't want to

pick my favorites yet, too much more to come as the heat rises.

Yes indeed, it would be nice to hear some other

ideas and opinions here!

tounge
02-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Out of the candidates left:

Paul

2. Huckabee

3.Romney

4.McCain

The 2 Democrats will never get my vote. And may have to flee a

sinking ship if they were to get elected.

My top candidate was Duncan Hunter but the One World Order

establishment would never stand for it.

koolking1
02-03-2008, 06:19 AM
from AP:

"The

former Massachusetts governor had 52 percent of the vote with 68 percent of the towns holding caucuses reporting.

John McCain trailed with 21 percent, Ron Paul was third with 19 percent, and Mike Huckabee had 6 percent. Undecided

votes accounted for 2 percent."

There would be no reason for Huckabee to drop out with Super Tuesday just two

days away but I do think he's running out of money. Ron Paul raised the most contributions last quarter but he

sometimes appears to not have his heart in the race, at least he gives off that impression but he does keep plugging

along and was at the MTV debate with Huckabee, Clinton, and Obama. I guess McCain and Romney didn't feel it was in

their interest to be at MTV.

One has to wonder why Romney did so well in Maine and why McCain did so well

in NH (where many voting irregularities have surfaced), the two states are right next door to each other and are

very similar.

I was thinking of starting a new topic, "Does McCain have a soul?" lol

koolking1
02-03-2008, 08:48 AM
"How to get people

to vote against their interests and to really think against their interests is very clever. It's the cleverest

ruling class that I have ever come across in history. It's been 200 years at it. It's superb." Gore Vidal

Mtnjim
02-04-2008, 12:23 PM
My top

candidate was Duncan Hunter ...

Duncan Hunter is a royal douche bag, and yes, I know him personally, and

have voted against him in every election!!

idesign
02-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Duncan

Hunter is a royal douche bag, and yes, I know him personally, and have voted against him in every

election!!

Details Jim... details. Give us a story.

idesign
02-04-2008, 06:35 PM
"How to

get people to vote against their interests and to really think against their interests is very clever. It's the

cleverest ruling class that I have ever come across in history. It's been 200 years at it. It's superb." Gore

Vidal

This is a great quote. I think its directly tied to deTocqueville's statement:

“The

American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's

money”

The irony is rich, a Frenchman in 19th century America describing a tragedy which has come true in

America, but which France has surpassed exponentially. I'd love to hear what he'd say about the EU.

IMHO Vidal

is one of the best writers of historical fiction in the last half century.

tounge
02-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Duncan Hunter

is a royal douche bag, and yes, I know him personally, and have voted against him in every election!!

Good! I'd vote for him twice if I could. He's a hellova alot better than the crap you Californians

continue to elect to run your state and represent you Federally.

koolking1
02-05-2008, 07:24 AM
is now

claiming 2nd place in the Maine caucus and beating out McCain.

Mtnjim
02-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Details

Jim... details. Give us a story.

Good! I'd vote for him twice if I could. He's a

hellova alot better than the crap you Californians continue to elect to run your state and represent you

Federally.

Well, if you're into someone who is wholley owned by the "special interests", I guess

here's your man. He belongs in the cell right next to Duke Cunningham. I can only think of 2 politicians in all of

San Diego (city, 3 if you count the entire county) who have the slightest bit of honesty (and Hunter ain't one of

them!). The "establishment" in this city have been owned by the developers, military contractors and big business

since at least the early '70's. You may not remember, but Nixon's Republican convention was pulled out of this

city because of a bribery scandal. It was because of that the city adopted the slogan "America's Finest City".

tounge
02-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Hell, they outa let Cunningham out

and toss Feinstein and Boxer in there. Along with their crooked husbands. And the special interests of the LA Times

and the SF Chronicle.

Mtnjim
02-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Hell, they

outa let Cunningham out and toss Feinstein and Boxer in there. Along with their crooked husbands.

They

gotta catch them taking bribes first.

And the special interests of the LA Times and the SF

Chronicle.

Not nearly as bad as the San Diego Union Tribune!!

Some how I get the feeling you aren't

the local leader of the Democratic party.:think: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

koolking1
02-06-2008, 10:01 AM
looks like Obama and

Clinton will be fighting it out till the end which will ultimately hurt their fundraising efforts for the

Presidential election.

I don't think McCain's win will last long, expect him to be "swiftboated" strongly

and deservedly. The Christian Right can't stand him, Rush Limbaugh hates him, lots of his fellow Republicans are

wary of him. Huckabee did surprisingly well, now it remains to see if he can get some more money. Ron Paul did

poorly but will continue on till the money runs out and it may not run out. Mitt Romney may be able to win.

Although I really want Ron Paul, I could, just barely, stomach Obama or Romney.

idesign
02-06-2008, 04:32 PM
I quoted and responded to your

post in the new "Super Tuesday" thread KK.

idesign
02-06-2008, 04:42 PM
You may

not remember, but Nixon's Republican convention was pulled out of this city because of a bribery scandal. It was

because of that the city adopted the slogan "America's Finest City".

:rofl:In the "Finest" American

tradition. Who says marketing doesn't work?

Special interests, hmmm. I agree that moneyed players should never

be in the same room as a politician, and should not be in each others' speed dial list. I would add... the same

should be true with labor unions, teachers unions and environmental groups, among others.