PDA

View Full Version : Smells and intelligent animals

jvkohl
01-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Also

published last month:

Gottfried, J. A. (2007). What can an orbitofrontal cortex-endowed animal do with

smells? Ann N Y Acad Sci., 1121, 102-120.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17846157?ordinalpos=3&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_Resu

ltsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

"Findings such as these indicate that the pairing of a sensory stimulus (the

conditioned stimulus, or CS+) with an emotionally charged event (the unconditioned stimulus, or UCS) is sufficient

to modulate neural representations of the original sensory input. In turn these learning-dependent changes in

sensory coding may underlie subsequent modifications in sensory perception."

As I indicated in my last

published article/book chapter, what we see in the presence of pheromones can subsequently elicit the same response

as the pheromones elicited--even when the pheromones are no longer part of the picture. It's difficult for people

to realize that their response to what they see is conditioned by their sense of smell--especially when they don't

"smell" the pheromones.

Simply put, I could take the "right" pheromones and make someone respond to another

person more positively, based on their conditioned response to the natural scent signature of other people they have

encountered during the development of their sexual preferences.

James V. Kohl
The Scent of Eros

terry0400-40
01-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Also

published last month:

Gottfried, J. A. (2007). What can an orbitofrontal cortex-endowed animal do with smells?

Ann N Y Acad Sci., 1121, 102-120.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17846157?ordinalpos=3&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP an

el.Pubmed_RVDocSum

"Findings such as these indicate that the pairing of a sensory stimulus (the

conditioned stimulus, or CS+) with an emotionally charged event (the unconditioned stimulus, or UCS) is sufficient

to modulate neural representations of the original sensory input. In turn these learning-dependent changes in

sensory coding may underlie subsequent modifications in sensory perception."

As I indicated in my last published

article/book chapter, what we see in the presence of pheromones can subsequently elicit the same response as the

pheromones elicited--even when the pheromones are no longer part of the picture. It's difficult for people to

realize that their response to what they see is conditioned by their sense of smell--especially when they don't

"smell" the pheromones.

Simply put, I could take the "right" pheromones and make someone respond to another

person more positively, based on their conditioned response to the natural scent signature of other people they have

encountered during the development of their sexual preferences.

James V. Kohl
The Scent of

ErosInteresting observations James, Deep stuff and a little over my head

personally, but the info can unlock the doors to some of the mysterious behaviour i have encountered sometimes when

wearing one of my traditional everyday pheromone day mixes.

I wish my comprehension was as fast acting as

my pheromone mixes related subject effects. ha ha then i would be good, Hmmmm maby not so good lol :wub: