PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again...

Mtnjim
11-01-2007, 12:12 PM
WASHINGTON (CNN)

– It has been a truly scandalous few months for the GOP — for the

third time in three months a Republican lawmaker is accused of soliciting sex with another man. (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/) :blink:

belgareth
11-01-2007, 02:11 PM
What can I say except... :rofl:

?

Mtnjim
11-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Who says the Republicans don't

have an interesting sex life??:think:

The Democrats have their hookers and fire trucks, the Republicans their

"glory holes".

idesign
11-01-2007, 07:35 PM
The way I see it is: hookers

have holes, fire trucks have interest... guess that makes me an independent.

belgareth
11-02-2007, 04:53 AM
Personally, I couldn't give a

#%@& what a person's sex life is. It's none of my business so long as it is all consentual. It certainly

isn't something I'll use as a yardstick to measure them when voting time comes around. I also doubt that either

party is doing these things any more or less than the other, politicians being what they are. It can't be proven

either way so I tend to disregard the whole thing, other than the free amusement factor. You have to admit that, in

a sick and twisted manner, politicians and their antics are funny. It's pretty hard to take any of them very

seriously.

If they broke the law, that's another matter and should be dealt with as any other crime by any

other citizen. If they don't like the law, and all laws regarding adult consentual sex are inappropriate, then they

should be working to change the laws instead of breaking them.

gaf
11-06-2007, 05:29 PM
If they

broke the law, that's another matter and should be dealt with as any other crime by any other

citizen.

FYI:
Just so you know your representatives aren't the only ones that

misbehave...
Over here a MP got himself into a punch up with another because of a comment about his girlfriend.

The Prime Minister demoted him but refused to do anything else. As you can imagine not many people were happy about

him being let off lightly , here's the latest.

A Wellington accountant says he will today attempt to

serve a court summons on Cabinet Minister Trevor Mallard over his parliamentary punch-up.

Graham McCready

told the Herald last night a Wellington District Court judge had issued a summons, after Mr McCready launched a

private prosecution against the demoted minister.

If the summons is served, Mr Mallard would be forced to go

to court for a hearing - but ultimately it is unlikely his job would be at risk.

Under the Electoral Act a

minister is sacked from Parliament if convicted of a crime punishable by two years or more in prison. But the

private prosecution against Mr Mallard has been brought under the Summary Proceedings Act, carrying a maximum

sentence of six months.

Mr Mallard apologised to Parliament yesterday for the fight with Tau Henare and

Speaker Margaret Wilson said she was not going to ask the Privileges Committee to hear a complaint about it from

Rodney Hide. Police have said they will not investigate without a witness or victim complaining.

But Mr

McCready took a private prosecution, saying the country's lawmakers should not be above the law.

He said the

court had asked him to collect the summons this morning and he would ask Mr Mallard to "make himself available at a

neutral venue" to receive it.

"If necessary I will ask police for their assistance," Mr McCready said. "I'm

just a New Zealand citizen who believes a minister of the Crown should face punishment the same way the man on the

street would."

Mr McCready himself faces around 40 tax-related charges. He has elected trial and is due in

Wellington District Court in December.

He also hit the headlines this year after revealing an employee of the

New Zealand Qualifications Authority had been selling the agency's old surplus computers cheaply on Trade

Me.

Last week he wrote to police and Prime Minister Helen Clark urging them to investigate. He said he was

forced to take the private prosecution when his call was rejected.

"I'm a Labour supporter but this is a

high profile case in the public interest and we live in a democracy," Mr McCready said.

Auckland lawyer Barry

Hart said he was not surprised to see a judge had determined there was a prima facie case to answer.

A

spokeswoman for Mr Mallard said he had not received a summons, nor had anyone asked him to make himself available to

receive one, so could make no further comment.

The next step

* Attempt will be made to serve summons

on Trevor Mallard "in neutral venue".

* Police help will be sought if necessary.

* If the summons is

served Mr Mallard will face a court hearing.