PDA

View Full Version : Hey ladies: what colognes do you like on guys?

BGuy20
06-21-2007, 12:43 AM
Just wanted some feedback from the women on what colognes they like on guys. I'm not wearing cologne

to impress myself, after all. :rasp:

Favorite phero mixes are welcome too. It's good to have a woman's

perspective on things since that's who we men are (usually) trying to impress. :D

If you could also provide

some info about yourself (age and type of girl you are), that would be cool too. Thanks! :cheers:

Capricious
06-21-2007, 05:14 PM
I can only tell

you one specific cologne that I thoroughly enjoyed and that was CK Eternity. I don't know about other girls, but I

can give you a description of what appeals to me...

Nothing too strong, if its overpowering, it doesn't matter

how good it smells, it is a turn-off. :nono:

I go for something fresh/woods-y with a bit of musk. I guess

the cologne category would be Aromatic - Fresh.

Sorry I don't have specifics! :sad:

My age: 26
Type

of girl: The heck does that mean? I am a handful. That is all you need to know.
:whip: :run:

So you wanted to

know what appeals to girls, but here is one for all the guys out there. What do guys like? Soft and flowery? Sweeter

than candy? Heavy and musky? Or maybe spicy and warm? Share!! :thumbsup:

ToxDoc
06-21-2007, 06:21 PM
I think BGuy20 is trying to find

out if you are sporty that sort of thing. Personally, I too have a habit of getting a feel on a person based on the

fragrance he/she wears. By the same token, I also admit this approach is partial and can be misguiding if other

factors such as environment are not taken into account. For example, I typically wear Bvlgari PH Extreme or Thierry

Mugler Cologne to work while Lancome Miracle Homme and Hypnose Homme are my staple scents outside work. If colognes

were the only gauge of character, I would appear to have multiple personalities since Bvl Extreme and Hypnose could

not be more different.

Nevertheless, I would not expect a 70-year-old to wear CK One no matter how young at

heart the person is or what the environment the person is in.

blueblack
06-21-2007, 06:23 PM
The guy I used to date wore

Kenneth Cole Black. That one smells really good and after he wore it I wanted to smell it again and again.

Here

is a description I found online:

"KENNETH COLE BLACK was created by Kenneth Cole in 2003. Black is bold and

luxurious, like the feeling of slipping into a tuxedo, a cashmere turtleneck, or a black leather jacket. A mix of

mandarin warmed with incense and lotus flower, exotic woods, dark violet and sensuous musk."

Oh yeah, and my

Type of girl: Well, I like to think I am classy. :) Well-educated and cultural/artsy. I'm fairly girly but

do have a very competitive side. Adventurous, and people tend to think I am sweet.

Not sure if that type of

description is what you wanted, but to get an idea of what I am like, there ya go.

Capricious
06-21-2007, 07:49 PM
I'm afraid I don't fit a

type like you suggest, ToxDoc. Like blueblack, I'm not just one thing. I don't think most of us gals are just one

type. :)

I'm a little bit of everything, depending on my mood. Please see Meredith Brooks song "B*tch" for

reference. :D

A nice site that I found that gives tons of information on both men's and women's

cologne/perfume is Osmoz. It also has quizzes to find fragrances that seem to suit your personality. Not a complex

little test, but interesting, nonetheless.

Happy cologne hunting! :p

Gegogi
06-22-2007, 12:57 AM
Nevertheless, I would not

expect a 70-year-old to wear CK One no matter how young at heart the person is or what the environment the person is

in.Hmm, my father is 76 and wears CK One. He got it as a gift and really liked it. Tossed his old

Spice...

My boss is 65 and wears Armani Aqua de Gio. He walked into Sephora and bought what the salesgirl said

was the number one seller.

Bassnotes is also a great site for cologne info.

ToxDoc
06-22-2007, 01:35 AM
Hmm, my

father is 76 and wears CK One. He got it as a gift and really liked it. Tossed his old Spice...

My boss is 65

and wears Armani Aqua de Gio. He walked into Sephora and bought what the salesgirl said was the number one

seller.

Bassnotes is also a great site for cologne info.

Well, what can I say. I am not at all

surprised about AdG, but I certainly am speechless about your father wearing CK One.

Yeap, Basenotes is

great. I frequent it, too. Can't wait for the forum to come back up.

BGuy20
06-22-2007, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so

far. I think someone like Blueblack is more what I'm looking for at the moment. Not that I don't like the feisty

girls like Capricious, but I've already done the feisty girl thing with my ex (even though she had a bit of the

refined thing going too), and variety is the long-lasting base spice of life. :)

Is that pic actually of you,

Blueback?

I have looked at Basenotes a bit, it's a great resource. Will check out Osmoz as well.

I started

out a while ago with just the deodorants (my ex bought a whole bunch for me for Christmas), but I didn't start

looking at the colognes until I bought the beginners kit on here. Now I'm getting addicted. I just bought Boss Soul

plus a $60 stencil-design T-shirt. IMPRESSING WOMEN CAN BE SO EXPENSIVE! :blink::rofl:

It was almost worth it to

go to the Hugo Boss store because of the salesman, he seemed the kind of alpha male I was trying to emulate (his

salesperson status notwithstanding). Imagine Neil McDonough crossed with Matt Damon, very deep voice, very

knowledgeable, and (of course) very presentable (which I would certainly expect given his job at a store that sells

primarily clothing).

As for my taste, I think it runs more towards the citrusy and woodsy. If they could put them

together (say, mix Terre d'Hermes and Polo), that would be PERFECT. My tastes also run towards the scents you find

in some of the stuff I have (Musk at the moment, maybe Sandalwood if I get scented TE). I'm considering getting

Green Irish Tweed if my internet sales of an upcoming electronics product do well.

Cap: I usually don't worry

about something being overpowering, most colognes seem to wear off after 2 hours anyways. Of course, I suspect

womens' noses are more sensitive then mens' noses.

Also (Cap), I wish you had some specifics! Woodsy is just

about the only kind of cologne I want that I DON'T have.

Currently own:
Terre d'Hermes - citrusy
Drakkar Noir

- the red-headed stepchild of my collection. Seems to have acquired a negative reputation.
Lucky #6: Exotic and

eastern. One of my favorite colognes due to the way it complements the mones I wear and its comparatively

long-lasting scent.
Armani Code - refined, with a hint of vanillaness (the actual bean, not a description of its

blandness). The only thing I don't like is I've had a hell of a time finding a body wash for it. Don't Code users

shower? :blink:
I use Burberry Brit bodywash as a close analogue.
Boss Soul - just bought it, haven't gotten to

really try it out yet. Also, they didn't have any body wash or deodorant to go with it.

It's the add-ons that

really start to add up, since the colognes themselves usually last quite a while.

Colognes I'd like to

try:
Green Irish Tweed - sounds refined, but also sounds expensive.
Le Male - have heard positive things about

this one. Ladies, is this an overused scent in your opinion?
Aramis - loved the deodorant.
Ferrari -

ditto.
Burberry Brit - would be more appealing if I didn't have Armani Code. And a budget.

Thanks for the

feedback, ladies. Keep it coming. :thumbsup:

WiZ83
06-22-2007, 04:18 AM
My previous 2 ex-gf's love

CK Be, CK Eternity, CK Escape, Davidoff Cool Water ... I own them all now, except CK Be, which one of my ex-gf took

it from me, coz it's unisex ...

Gegogi
06-22-2007, 02:09 PM
It was almost worth it to

go to the Hugo Boss store because of the salesman, he seemed the kind of alpha male I was trying to emulate (his

salesperson status notwithstanding). Imagine Neil McDonough crossed with Matt Damon, very deep voice, very

knowledgeable, and (of course) very presentable (which I would certainly expect given his job at a store that sells

primarily clothing).

Some guys have the act down but can't back it up with substance and/or action.

Didn't study in school? Otherwise he wouldn't be a salesman in a clothing store! Often real alpha males--those in

powerful leadership postions--don't fit the stereotype looks, voice, etc.--but have balls of steel and are ruthless

rulers.

Capricious
06-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Well, feisty is one way to describe me. I have been told I am a challenge. I imagine that is true, since I am smart

enough to make my own money, strong enough to make my own decisions, and confident enough to be exactly who I am

with pride. :cheers: Cheers to all the alpha females out there!!

Sorry again about not having specifics. I

don't exactly walk up to a guy, sniff his neck, and ask about his cologne. I may like a scent, but that doesn't

mean I am attracted to the guy.

You can look at colognes by scent family on Osmoz, in case you didn't see that

part. For instance, say you searched a cologne that you know you like. Below the pic of the bottle, it tells you the

family. You can click the family there to see other colognes like it. Or try Encyclo at the top and check out the

Olfactory groups.

By the way, the best way to find a cologne is going to be good old-fashioned footwork. Test it

on your skin at the store. If it smells good to you, then your body chemistry mixes well with it, and it will

probably appeal to the girls.

I tried hunting for a perfume by seeing what others recommended. Like I tried Pink

Sugar, because several people said how it smelled so good. Well, it was a major candy overload to my nose. I'm not

going to buy a perfume because someone says its great. I'm the one wearing it and smelling it 24/7, so I better

like it.

I say stick with what you have, if you like it. ;)

Happy hunting, best of luck!

blueblack
06-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Is

that pic actually of you, Blueback?

Nope, not of me, that is Dita Von Teese. Though I've been

told that I look like a mix of her, Christina Aguilera, and Paris Hilton with dark hair lol.

gaf
06-22-2007, 11:37 PM
For those wondering , Dita von Teese

(Heather Sweet) was married to Marilyn Manson till recently...
mmm, one fine lookin' lady!

Cologne wise I

wear CK eternity or Chanel egoiste , I seem to get a lot of complements on the CK. The Chanel is pretty much

reserved to cover heavy none mixes.

Guy101
06-23-2007, 02:58 AM
try Creed Tabarome & also Aqua Di

Gio by Armani

BGuy20
06-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Thx for all the recommendations.

Osmoz seems like a good place to prospect for new fragrances. If I weren't trying to get myself on a budget I'd be

a bit more active in looking!

DCW
07-02-2007, 10:00 AM
try Creed

Tabarome & also Aqua Di Gio by Armani

Two winners, Gucci Envy another (winner) and a great

bargain.

DCW

ontimenow
07-04-2007, 09:30 PM
I'm a male but I get tons of

compliments from the ladies when I wear Angel.

CptKipling
07-10-2007, 06:06 PM
...Though I've been told that I look like a mix of her, Christina Aguilera, and Paris

Hilton with dark hair lol.

I am actually in love...pics? ;) haha

Back on topic!

I always get good

reactions from this Hugo Boss http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120240.html

As for women's fragrances, CK

Be does strange things to me, but that's probably because that was all that an ex of mine used to wear. There is

another fragrance that I keep smelling that I really like, I shall endeavour to find out what it is.

bosshank
07-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Well, I am not one of the

ladies, BUT ...

My two favorites are Arcus by Amouage during the summer and Pheros for fall/winter or evening.

Both have been VERY well received.

I also have Armani, Aqua de Gio, Kenneth Cole Black, Hugo Boss, Fendi, and a

few others I cannot think of at the moment.

CAtriathlete
07-11-2007, 06:56 PM
How about suggestions for

those of us who are sensitive to colognes or can't stand the strong fragrances. Favorite essential oils? Anybody

have any subtle alternatives to going out without cover?

-CAt

belgareth
07-11-2007, 07:23 PM
I wear Aloeswood oil sometimes

mixed with musk oil. Get a lot of compliments on it. I'm with you on colognes.

CAtriathlete
07-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Glad to here there's

someone else out there who is not a cologne guy! Many women I know can't stand cologne either-- they prefer a

guy's natural smell with a bit of something natural or very subtle.

Never heard of Aloeswood oil. What's the

scent like?

-CAt

belgareth
07-12-2007, 03:38 AM
There's an old thread on it

but in general it is dark and musky, very complex. The oil is refined from the aloeswood tree that has become

infected with a jungle fungus. In India and Asia it has been used for a couple thousand years and is considered to

be both an aphrodisiac and psychoactive. The buddists use it in certain rituals as well.

It isn't like any

cologne on the market. I am a poor one to ask because my lack of cologne use doesn't give me a lot of reference

points to try to describe it. It is reactive to your skin chemistry so is unique for each person. When you first

look into it the price seems high but you use so little that it is very economical.

idesign
07-12-2007, 04:38 AM
http://www.pherolibrary.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13524&highlight=aloeswood

CptKipling
07-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Sandalwood oil on its own is

really good.

CAtriathlete
07-12-2007, 08:39 AM
Thanks iDesign... I didn't

know about that Oud thread. Just read through it. Very helpful!

-CAt

idesign
07-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Sandalwood oil on its own is really good.

DST has said this too, I'm trying it

soon.

Thanks iDesign... I didn't know about that Oud thread. Just read through it.

Very helpful!

-CAt

That's because belgareth is hesitant to "toot his own horn". Its a great

thread with good info. He's gotten me hooked. Make sure to check out the links in the thread.

See

also
http://www.pherolibrary.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8637&highlight=perfuming

I learned a lot from

this thread, and its a great starting point for further experimentation. You'll have to wade through a lot of

"fluff", but within lies good info from the Dr. even if you don't want to make your own fragrance. Its very good

general knowledge, and subtleties abound if you want to hone in on the finer points of attraction by fragrance. Its

opened up a brave new world for me.

Have fun!
Greg

CAtriathlete
07-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks everyone,

I just

ordered the Oud sampler from Oriscent. I'll let you know how it works for me.

-CAt

belgareth
07-13-2007, 07:20 PM
Don't let the scent in the

bottle or right at first on your skin throw you. It mellows quickly on your skin. Then it stays around, very subtly,

for a long time.

idesign
07-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks everyone,

I just ordered the Oud sampler from Oriscent. I'll let you know

how it works for me.

-CAt

Yes, let us know CAt, this is kind of a cult following here so far as I can

tell, and we'd love to hear about your results, esp. how you use it with the mones.

Numanoid
07-14-2007, 01:45 AM
Is anyone else disappointed that

Oriscent is only selling Aloeswood now? I'll sure miss the Sandalwood and Wild Amber.
:sad:

DrSmellThis
07-14-2007, 02:46 AM
Pheros is a great

cologne that the ladies love, for those who like natural ingredients and fine scents.

belgareth
07-14-2007, 04:27 AM
Is

anyone else disappointed that Oriscent is only selling Aloeswood now? I'll sure miss the Sandalwood and Wild

Amber.
:sad:
I've a couple other sources so rarely buy from Oriscent. Although finding (real) wild amber

is tough.

ShyAsianGuy26
07-14-2007, 05:40 AM
I just ordered a massive

amount of cologne to go with my -mones. Boy does everything add up quick...

Stop tempting me with all theses

different scents lol.