PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Vs Linux Ubuntu Beryl

abductor
04-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Hi

all ...

Long time without any post .. but I always miss you fellows..
Everybody knows that I'm really

love IT ...working as professinal .. and belive in open source way to do things .. even when all my friends at job

said things like ..It's a dream, It's doesnt work etc...give up !
For those peoples I got my guitar and start

sing "Tom Petty song Won't Back Down ..."

And I won't back down.Hey, baby. There ain't no easy way

out.
Hey, I will stand my ground.
And I won't back down.Well I know what's right
I got just one

life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I'll stand my ground
And I won't back down.Hey,

baby. There ain't no easy way out.
Hey, I will stand my ground.

fortunaly a lot of people dont

back down and things like that come up ..... for free !!!!

check this

out..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ&mode=related&search=

All the best you guys

!!!

belgareth
04-18-2007, 11:44 AM
I've been playing with the

free Solaris recently. Very nice to use. Vista really and truly sucks, big time. I've been telling my clients to

avoid it as long as possible.

Mtnjim
04-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Vista

really and truly sucks, big time. I've been telling my clients to avoid it as long as possible.

Agreed!!

I've got a test box with Vista on it, and I can't install printers. Keeps saying "Access Denied" no matter what

Administrator account (Local or Domain) I use. At the Microsoft Vista forums, there are a lot of posts with printer

problems.:blink:

belgareth
04-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Agreed!!

I've got a test box with Vista on it, and I can't install printers. Keeps saying "Access Denied" no matter what

Administrator account (Local or Domain) I use. At the Microsoft Vista forums, there are a lot of posts with printer

problems.:blink:
There are a lot of complaints about video cards too. The back up module stinks and a few

other things are useless.

Does this make you think of Windows ME revisited and on steroids? What a frippin'

mess!

I have a test box running Vista too because you can't buy a new computer without it now. It's actually

been good in a way because my white box sales have gone up. I'm offering them with XP.

Mtnjim
04-18-2007, 02:48 PM
There are a

lot of complaints about video cards too. The back up module stinks and a few other things are useless.

Ya, I've heard that.

Does this make you think of Windows ME revisited and on steroids? What a frippin'

mess!

No doubt. Seems that every 2nd "new" OS is total crap. I don't count 95 to 98 as "new" because 98

was just 95 "prettied up".

I have a test box running Vista too because you can't buy a new computer

without it now. It's actually been good in a way because my white box sales have gone up. I'm offering them with

XP.

Ya, I plan on "upgrading" any new systems we get to XP for quite a while.
Good thing I've got some

"back up" OS's to work with. Right now, I've got a MAC (OS-X), the %&*#% Vista box, a Linux server, and a Linux

laptop either on or next to my desk.:cheers:

belgareth
04-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Fortunately, I don't have to

deal with Mac too. They make it too expensive for a small shop like me so I don't bother with the tiny market share

they can offer. Not too many businesses use them anyway and I'm not interested in the personal or academic

market.

Oh well, if nothing else, Microsoft keeps me in business with their screwed up OS's.

Have you

looked at the SUN Solaris flavor of UNIX? I use it with Apache for web servers. It's very nice and if you do get

into a bind you can get support.

Mtnjim
04-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Have you

looked at the SUN Solaris flavor of UNIX? I use it with Apache for web servers. It's very nice and if you do get

into a bind you can get support.

We have a Sun cluster that runs something called a "Learning Management

System" (Blackboard).
I case you're not familiar, a "LMS" is where faculty can post hand outs, lecture notes,

PowerPoint presentations, grades etc. for students, and students can post homework and assignments etc.

belgareth
04-18-2007, 04:44 PM
We have a

Sun cluster that runs something called a "Learning Management System" (Blackboard).
I case you're not familiar, a

"LMS" is where faculty can post hand outs, lecture notes, PowerPoint presentations, grades etc. for students, and

students can post homework and assignments etc.
Yes, I managed one when I was in the corporate world. Its

been a few years, about 8-9 of them. Its probably changed a bit since then. We used it for all sorts of

inter-departmental docs and were playing with a white board for meetings. We had three major facilities (Dallas, New

York, California) that needed to communicate and we used that. Not quite the same. It was used mostly for

collaboration.

abductor
04-20-2007, 10:05 AM
I've been playing with solaris

10 (probably is the most powerful unix for multiprocessing environment) ...
my desktop now is running a Linux

backtrack 2.0, because I'm studying to get some security certifications. But when I get free time.. I'll do my own

linux live CD distro that will be a complete open PKI system and smartcard authentication, Personal Identity

Verification..etc (is there any partner to open an bussines based in an open model with me?, the debate is really

about philosophy, not money..)
talking about my philosophy and why I choose open source model.. is because I

believe "IT" as 'science' and not as a 'product'. Imagine Sir. Issac Newton saying : 'I'll not tell you how

gravitational law works, but I will charge you to calibrate your war cannon...'

belgareth
04-21-2007, 03:05 PM
I recieved the DVDs for Solaris

10 a couple weeks ago and only recently installed it on a whitebox with a dual core processor. I downloaded the

files three seperate times and they were always corrupt and I couldn't get it to install. Apache was easy enough

though.

My intent is to use it as a web server and maybe to host my email. I really want to get away from

outside hosting companies.

bubblebob
04-22-2007, 02:07 AM
I'm using Linux (OpenSuse

10.2 at the moment) for some years now - and I don't think I'll ever go back to Windows. It's crazy what a bunch

of guys shattered around the world have created, mostly in their free-time. I've still got Win XP on my PC, but

I'm only using it as a game platform (which happens maybe once every month).

Beryl looks really cool - maybe

I should try it sometime...

abductor
04-25-2007, 02:04 PM
I

recieved the DVDs for Solaris 10 a couple weeks ago and only recently installed it on a whitebox with a dual core

processor. I downloaded the files three seperate times and they were always corrupt and I couldn't get it to

install. Apache was easy enough though.

My intent is to use it as a web server and maybe to host my email. I

really want to get away from outside hosting companies.

have you been try belenix?..
it's an

solaris live CD (try & install it if it works)

:)
http://www.genunix.org/distributions/belenix_site/

but I dont know if you have static IP and

a good conection I agree with you that is better get your own server up & running..

I've got nice results

with DynDNS to get an valid DNS on internet and redirect it to my server ...

and using a Linux LAMP as my

server
..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAMP_%28software_bundle%29)