PDA

View Full Version : New Article

Mtnjim
03-19-2007, 11:53 AM
In a magazine called

Scientific American

Mind (http://www.sciammind.com/article.cfm?&articleID=792DDD7C-E7F2-99DF-397429B8BB8ED7ED), a sister publication of Scientific American has in it's current edition an article on

"Cranial nerve 0". Unfortunately, you have to pay to read the article, but what it basically says is that this

particular nerve replaces the VNO. Nerve "0" begins at the nose and follows a path similar to the olfactory nerve,

except it terminates in the regions of the brain associated with sexual response rather than scent. Further, when

stimulated in a fish, it triggers the immediate release of sperm. Might be interesting to find a copy in a book

store or library. It's the March/April issue and the story begins on page 20.

jvkohl
03-19-2007, 05:49 PM
In a magazine

called Scientific

American Mind (http://www.sciammind.com/article.cfm?&articleID=792DDD7C-E7F2-99DF-397429B8BB8ED7ED), a sister publication of Scientific American has in it's current edition an article

on "Cranial nerve 0". Unfortunately, you have to pay to read the article, but what it basically says is that this

particular nerve replaces the VNO. Nerve "0" begins at the nose and follows a path similar to the olfactory nerve,

except it terminates in the regions of the brain associated with sexual response rather than scent. Further, when

stimulated in a fish, it triggers the immediate release of sperm. Might be interesting to find a copy in a book

store or library. It's the March/April issue and the story begins on page 20.

As mentioned in my

post to this forum section on Feb 13...

Sex and the secret nerve
"Although some scientists claim to have

detected an operational vomeronasal organ in humans as well, most believe that it appears to be vestigial. As is the

case with gill slits, we possess vomeronasal organs only during our fetal lives, after which they atrophy. So if

pheromones are sending sexual signals to human brains, they are not relying on the vomeronasal organ to relay

them."

See the current issue at:

http://sciammind.com/

for a comprehensive review of

various approaches to the concept of human pheromones. It's much less technical than my recent review in the

Journal of Psychology and Human Sexuality, which may make it more valuable to a lay audience. The key connection is

to GnRH neurons (but that's more than most people need [want] to know). [as indicated by the lack of

discussion]

James V. Kohl
Author/creator: The Scent of Eros

Discussion on this topic can be found

by clicking here.
Last edited by oscar : 02-16-2007 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Inserting Link

Gegogi
03-20-2007, 01:30 AM
Further, when stimulated

in a fish, it triggers the immediate release of sperm.

Sheesh a portable device to do that for

humans would sure as hell take a lot of the hassle and humbug outta dating. I could be in and outta there in a few

seconds.

jvkohl
04-26-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm attending/presenting at an olfactory conference this week. Just noticed that an article I was interviewed for

is available at the following

URL.

http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/2007-04-24/russell-sexnerve

James V. Kohl

hunter101
04-27-2007, 08:14 AM
I have a quick question,

Where is the " nerve zero" located?

- J

Mtnjim
04-27-2007, 09:09 AM
Where is

the " nerve zero" located?

- J

It begins in the nose and follows the olfactory nerve until it

reaches the brain where it splits off and terminates in the part of the brain that handles sexual response (among

other things) rather than sense of smell.

tounge
04-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the continued

enlightment JVK.

jvkohl
04-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the

continued enlightment JVK.

Thanks also to MtnJim. I will add that nerve zero is linked to

gonadotropin releasing hormone release (GnRH)--a key issue when it comes to human chemical

communication.

From my recent review:
... according to Boehm, Zou & Buck (2005):
“The fact that GnRH

neurons are the master regulators of reproductive endocrine status indicates that pheromone effects on reproductive

hormone levels are ultimately mediated by these neurons. Indications that GnRH peptide plays an important role in

the control of sexual behaviors suggest that pheromone effects on these behaviors might also involve GnRH neurons

(p. 683).”

JVK