PDA

View Full Version : How are 'mones made?

c0n5pir4cy
01-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Hi

Sorta newbish question here

How are Pheromones made? (in the lab)
Kinda been wantig to ask

that since i joined, always been curious about

Thanks in advance :)

Archetypical Hybrid (HEC)
01-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Well, you take

a few buckets full of human sweat and boil it down until you obtain the pure human pheromones..

01-15-2007, 06:49 PM
That’s of

course a joke, btw. Pheromones are all manufactured by experienced chemists from synthetic intermediates. Do not try

this at home obviously.

A steroid chemist once enlightened me that all pheromones on the market come from

dinosaurs.. Strange, but true, as the tetracyclic (Rings A,B,C,D) lipid intermediates used as starting reagents are

derived or made from petrolatum distillates / derivatives. So you can thank the velociraptor for your bottle of

pheromones!

Marlboro_man
01-15-2007, 06:54 PM
A steroid chemist once enlightened me that all pheromones on the market come from dinosaurs.. Strange, but

true, as the tetracyclic (Rings A,B,C,D) lipid intermediates used as starting reagents are derived or made from

petrolatum distillates / derivatives. So you can thank the velociraptor for your bottle of

pheromones!

Wow, that really clears it up, :LOL:

01-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Yea, I've

started a new post about this for fun..

Gegogi
01-16-2007, 02:42 AM
Actually petroleum is probably

formed from the remains of zooplankton and algae which have settled to the ocean bottom under anoxic conditions. The

remains of terrestrial plants are more likely to form coal. The remains of dinosaurs usually decomposed and thus

were not significantly subjected to the geological forces involved with petroleum formation.

DrSmellThis
01-16-2007, 04:23 AM
Most synthetic perfuming

ingredients are also petroleum derivatives.

WorkingMann
01-16-2007, 05:27 AM
That's why it gives the old

urges and animalistic things to women.. We go back before the stoneage here :twisted:

c0n5pir4cy
01-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks for your

replies,

It's very hard to find any information about this on Google

doe's anyone know where i could find a

list of the substances in sweat for free, or is it yet to be released for free

c0n5pir4cy
01-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Do not try this at home obviously.

I don' think i'm smart enough too anyway :)
Thanks for your

replies,

It's very hard to find any information about this on Google

doe's anyone know where i could find a

list of the substances in sweat for free, or is it yet to be released for free?

bronzie
01-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Gegogi, I think HEC was just

poking for fun, I didn’t actually believe he thought we would buy into pheromones are from dinosaur’s

theory.

“According to this theory, oil is formed from the preserved remains of prehistoric zooplankton

and algae” – you got this from wikipedia didn’t you? I don’t even look up Wikipedia anymore as a point of reference

after reading so much misleading BS.

It’s false.

Petroleum mainly originates from ancient Terrestrial

Organic matter, which include the remnants of Terrestrial animals (Dinosaurs) although their impact on the amount of

petroleum is very minor. Ancient forests make up the bulk of today’s petroleum. Petroleum is basically metamorphosed

coal, and not from plankton.

xvs
01-16-2007, 05:59 PM
A

TIDBIT:

A steroid chemist once enlightened me: all pheromones on the market come from dinosaurs.. Strange,

but true, as the tetracyclic (Rings A,B,C,D) lipid intermediates used as starting reagents are derived or made from

petroleum distillates / derivatives. So remember to thank the velociraptor for your bottle(s) of

pheromones!

Not usually.

The typical starting material for steroid synthesis is a tuber from

Mexico, the cabeza de negro yam.

This vegetable yields a sapogenin called diosgenin, which is the typical

starting material for commercial steroid synthesis. Since it is a "plant steroid" it is much easier to use this

compound than to start with anything simpler. There are fewer steps in the reaction, it's cheaper, and the purities

are higher.

It may be possible to start with petroleum distillates, but since these are much further from

the desired end product, it would be more complicated and expensive, and is not typically done.