PDA

View Full Version : How learning influences the sense of smell

jvkohl
12-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Press release here:
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-12/cp-hli121506.php

Key issue:

If we learn to associate odors during our experiences with them, do we also learn to associate pheromones with these

odor experiences?

Since putative human pheromones are likely to be processed in the same manner as other

chemical stimuli (odors)--and not as we have been led to believe--through a non-existent human VNO, this press

release suggests that we would associate pheromones with odor experience. Such associations also fit the mammalian

model of olfactory/pheromonal conditioning that I detail in a forthcoming review article/book

chapter.

Gottfried's group has proven to me to be a reliable source for information, and I recommend that

others examine his contributions to the knowledge base.

JVK

ratspeaker
12-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Does not the definition of a

pheromone relate to a physiological response ? Is this not supposed to be chemical messaging ? How can a

physiological response be learned ? A true pheromone should elicit a response in an organism regardless of prior

conditioning.

jvkohl
12-25-2006, 09:58 PM
Does not the

definition of a pheromone relate to a physiological response ? Is this not supposed to be chemical messaging ? How

can a physiological response be learned ? A true pheromone should elicit a response in an organism regardless of

prior conditioning.

The physiological response is genetically programmed (e.g., innate), as with a

hormone response that is different in a male than in a female. The behavior associated with the physiological

response is conditioned, which also means it is learned, albeit not necessarily via any conscious learning

process.

JVK

WorkingMann
12-26-2006, 07:45 AM
Are you trying to say that a

specific smell can make us have a specific feeling?
Like if I've been treated good in a flower shop as a kid (and

I've come there a numerius times) I will feel good when i smell the same smell? As if my unconsiusnes have

"learned" to associate the smell with something good and something I like?
And if I had a bad exsperience with a

farmer I will feel bad and not like the smell?
(Anyways who likes the smell on farms? :lol:)

koolking1
12-26-2006, 10:03 AM
I've felt that

some of my mone "hits" were instances where a past favorite person/event came to the mind of the person on the

receiving end of my scent. Once, a woman who hadn't seen me, her back was completely to me, turned to me with a

great smile and then when she realized it wasn't who she thought it was, she smiled demurely and turned back to

what she was doing. It had to have been a fond memory that was triggered.

jvkohl
12-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Are you trying

to say that a specific smell can make us have a specific feeling?

Yes, as verbally illustrated by

Marcel Proust in Remembrance of Things Past.

I am also saying that I have detailed the biological pathway

that allows olfactory/pheromonal conditioning of our emotions.

JVK

platinumfox
12-27-2006, 09:54 AM
I agree with this theory its

the same with music.You think of a certain song and just remember the times and events that surround it.

For

me its the 80s playing Atari,listening to all the 80s music and even remembering what clothes I wore

LOL!

Even if I smell homemade chocolate chip cookies I will always think about helping my mom make them and

eating all the cookie dough.

The smell that might have different meaning for people is sweat.Some people find

it repulsive,some get sexual thoughts and some might just get more intense because you have to be intense to work up

a sweat.