PDA

View Full Version : LT and oxytocin

WorkingMann
12-15-2006, 02:07 AM
I talked to a

girlfriend of mine a few days ago.. She mentioned she had been taking happy pills (thats the direct translation of

what we say in Denmark - it's anti depresive pills) and she said your body have a balance of oxytocin. And if it

gets out of order (fx. if you have a depression) these pills help you get balanced again and makes you happy..
I

don't know if it's the same thing that's in the pills as in the LT, but it was prenounced like oxytocin so I

couldn't help thinking if it could be a anti-depprisive drug thats in LT and that's why people trust you because

it raises their oxytocin-levels also when being around you.

Anybody who know if this is the case? :think:

Mungojerry
12-15-2006, 02:27 AM
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

WorkingMann
12-19-2006, 07:02 AM
Probably

not. Depression is often, in very simplistic terms, due to a deficit in the neurotransmitter serotonin in certain

neural circuits.

Anti-depressents are usually a form of Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) which

stop the cells which give out the serotonin eating back up before it gets to its intended destination.

I'm not

sure how that relates to oxytocin, but perhaps normalising serotonin also normalises oxytocin.

She just

said the pills were giving her the oxytocin she was needing and was running low on..
But I guess her doctor must

have gotten it wrong then I can see..

Mungojerry
12-19-2006, 08:53 AM
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

WorkingMann
12-22-2006, 11:16 AM
I think you have a point

there.. Afterall when a doctor talks scientifically to the patient most patients don't really gets it and

misunderstands it because of the very high degree of technical language..

Whitehall
12-22-2006, 12:03 PM
Oxytocin, neurotransmitters, and

hormones are all interrelated. Whack one and the others get whacked too.

SSRIs will increase serotoin levels

and increase the receptor activity yet will block release of oxytocin by dampening orgasm.

They might also

affect breastfeeding by reducing the positive feedback a woman receives from nursing.

Wellbutrin is often a

better choice of antidepressent.

I had a girlfriend once who was on SSRIs. She had been enthusiatic about

sex before but since she was on Prozac, she was frustrated about not getting off as often or as well.

After I

left town, we talked and she said to me, "Joe, I've switched to Wellbutrin, and you should be here!"