PDA

View Full Version : We're not doing as well...

Mtnjim
08-29-2006, 10:45 AM
as we

think.
Check out this (http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0828/p17s02-cogn.html) article.

Bruce
08-29-2006, 11:41 AM
I'm surprised they didn't even

touch on crime rates, slums, drug use etc etc. I never visited other countries until I was almost 30 and I still

remember how stunned I was at how safe and clean big cities could be.

Mtnjim
08-29-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm surprised they

didn't even touch on crime rates, slums, drug use etc etc. I never visited other countries until I was almost 30

and I still remember how stunned I was at how safe and clean big cities could be.

Maybe they thought we

were bad off enough without mentioning that:hammer:

When I lived in Spain, I lived in the "bad" neighborhood in

Barcelona and felt safer then in some "good" neighborhoods of some American cities.:blink:

Bruce
08-29-2006, 12:32 PM
The "bad" neighborhoods in Tokyo,

just have smaller houses and the people are more friendly. That's the only difference I could detect. I lived in

Sendai, the 10th biggest city in Japan for many years and never felt in any danger anywhere in the city.

koolking1
08-29-2006, 02:05 PM
we just recorded

the lowest SAT scores in 30 years. Public education is failing our kids.

belgareth
08-29-2006, 02:53 PM
we just

recorded the lowest SAT scores in 30 years. Public education is failing our kids.
Is it public education,

the public, the government or a combination of things that result in us failing to educate our kids?

Mtnjim
08-29-2006, 04:17 PM
Is it public

education, the public, the government or a combination of things that result in us failing to educate our

kids?

It's the parents. They are so busy trying to make a living, they no longer have time to get

involved in their kids educations.

belgareth
08-29-2006, 05:07 PM
It's the

parents. They are so busy trying to make a living, they no longer have time to get involved in their kids

educations.
I'll agree with the first part but believe that both can be accomplished. Perhaps less time

spent in front of the TV?