PDA

View Full Version : Non-VNO "Pheromone" receptors

jvkohl
07-31-2006, 09:37 PM
Here is more evidence against the likelihood of a functional human VNO.

Liberles SD, Buck LB. A second class

of chemosensory receptors in the olfactory epithelium.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/pdf/nature05066.pdf

Key Finding: Genes that

code for receptors, called 'trace amine-associated receptors' are present in human, mouse and fish. These

receptors, like other odor receptors are expressed in unique subsets of neurons dispersed in the olfactory

epithelium. In mice there are at least three of these receptors. One receptor recognizes volatile amines found in

urine. Another one detects a stress-related compound, and two others detect compounds that are found in different

concentrations in male versus female urine. One of these compounds is reported to be a pheromone. Collectively,

these findings indicate that chemical signals that are likely to function as pheromones are processed by the main

olfactory system of mammals, rather than by the accessory olfactory system, which includes the vomeronasal

organ.

JVK

gabe1970
08-01-2006, 04:28 AM
So are any of the substances

sold on this site (or being researched) related to trace-amines?

Gegogi
08-01-2006, 09:43 AM
I think JV just told you, if you

should lose your VNO in a bad nose job, you can still enjoy his SOE products. Cool, huh?

Cullmanz Own
08-01-2006, 04:23 PM
So, unlike animals, humans

process pheromones through our olfactory not our VNO. Makes sense... I understood some of it but he has a tendency

to type way above my comprehension level.

No offense, I'm just not as educated in science as you jv.

jvkohl
08-01-2006, 04:58 PM
So, unlike

animals, humans process pheromones through our olfactory not our VNO. Makes sense... I understood some of it but he

has a tendency to type way above my comprehension level.

No offense, I'm just not as educated in science

as you jv.

None taken. With regard to other animals, however, the recent data says that pheromones

also are processed via the main olfactory system--and that's what this study is restating, albeit from a different

angle: genetics. It makes sense that they went looking for genetically coded pheromone receptors in the main

olfactory system because animal studies showed that even without the VNO (the gateway to the accessory olfactory

system) other species were responding to pheromones. Since humans don't have a functional VNO, but we do respond to

pheromones, the likelihood is high that we, like other animals, have pheromone receptors in the main olfactory

system.

JVK

bronzie
08-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Just to make a little

comparison, since we are 99% similar/same in DNA to Chimps ( monkeys, like cheeta in tarzan ) if you believe in

darwinism/science ofcourse, have studies shown they have a functioning VNO? By looking at the Discovery Channel

Documentaries, they tend to sniff each others butts quite a bit, wonder why they do that, could it be the

pheromones? or the VNO? or both?

bronzie
08-01-2006, 06:13 PM
by the way jvkohl, recieved your

product again, class A product, a hit with the ladies! Is the musk cover scent in the scented version still the same

that was designed in Japan all those years ago? this one smells kind of cleaner, maybe its because its a new

bottle...

jvkohl
08-01-2006, 06:27 PM
So are any of the

substances sold on this site (or being researched) related to trace-amines?

I doubt it. Here's what

the article indicates.

These compounds are derivatives of naturally occurring amino acids.

b-phenylethylamine is decarboxylated phenylalanine. Elevation in urine is correlated with increases in

stress and stress responses in both rodents and humans.

Isoamylamine is decarboxylated leucine. It is

elevated in male versus female urine and reported to act as a pheromone, accelerating puberty onset in female

mice.

Trimethylamine could be derived from N,N-dimethylglycine or choline. Trimethylamine is elevated in

male versus female mouse urine. The receptor for this compound could, in principle, allow mice to determine the

gender and sexual status of other mice.

N-methylpiperidine could be derived from lysine or

homoproline.

Families of the genes that code for the receptors of these compounds are found not only in

rodents, but also in
humans and fish. Evidence that the receptors in fish are also expressed in the olfactory

epithelium suggests that these receptors are likely to serve as olfactory receptors in diverse organisms, including

humans. The evolutionary conservation of the receptor family suggests that this family of receptors may be

functionally associated with the detection of social cues such as pheromones.
-------------------
My

Note:
“Trimethylamine has been reported to occur in human menstrual blood..., implying some pheromonal function.”

JVK

jvkohl
08-01-2006, 06:31 PM
by the way jvkohl,

recieved your product again, class A product, a hit with the ladies! Is the musk cover scent in the scented version

still the same that was designed in Japan all those years ago? this one smells kind of cleaner, maybe its because

its a new bottle...

No change in my Scent of Eros products, which were designed and formulated here

in the U.S.

JVK

jvkohl
08-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Just to make a

little comparison, since we are 99% similar/same in DNA to Chimps ( monkeys, like cheeta in tarzan ) if you believe

in darwinism/science ofcourse, have studies shown they have a functioning VNO? By looking at the Discovery Channel

Documentaries, they tend to sniff each others butts quite a bit, wonder why they do that, could it be the

pheromones? or the VNO? or both?

Recent studies continue to show that the mammalian VNO is not

required for the effects of pheromones to be manifest. We are mammals and primates, so obviously there is evidence

that the VNO is not required in some primates (monkeys). However, there are also many studies that show the VNO of

most animals usually is functional.

Overall, I'm glad that I never fully bought into the human VNO

approach, even though I once said in an interview that I thought there was something to it. It has become more

apparent that all species communicate with pheromones, whether or not the species has a

VNO.

JVK

bronzie
08-01-2006, 07:04 PM
No change in my

Scent of Eros products, which were designed and formulated here in the U.S.

JVK

Im sure love-scent, many years ago stated on the web

site that the scent of the scent of eros roll top phero was designed in Japan, just a faint re collection, it was a

Japanese perfume designer?

anyway, as you say, your the inventor, I cant argue otherwise..

maybe im

thinking of another product..

jvkohl
08-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Im sure love-scent,

many years ago stated on the web site that the scent of the scent of eros roll top phero was designed in Japan, just

a faint re collection, it was a Japanese perfume designer?

anyway, as you say, your the inventor, I cant

argue otherwise..

maybe im thinking of another product..

Co-inventor; Bruce helped with the

fragrance, I decided on the active ingredients. I can't recall much with regard to other details and marketing

approach. Perhaps Bruce was the "Japanese perfume designer" or maybe he had a consultant when he was living in

Japan.

JVK

bronzie
08-01-2006, 07:50 PM
ahhhh i see, i knew there was a

Japanese element somewhere in there, just goes to show how long I have been using your product, actually that was

good marketing, anything made or designed in Japan is considered very high Quality these days.