PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching my teeth. Ran into a problem!

Fuse
06-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Ok. So I just had a lot of dental work done and I'm feeling great about my teeth. Much more confident than I ever

thought I possible. So I decided I wanted to whiten them after. I paid $225 and my dentist made me custom trays and

gave me the bleach to put in the trays. Now they told me to do it for 2 1-hour session a day for 10 days. I started

yesterday. Well everything was going great until my 2nd session today. I was about an hour and 15 minutes into the

process, when all of a sudden..... I got this sharp pain in one of my upper teeth. It was definitly the nerve. It's

the kinda pain you feel when the dentist hits the nerve with the drill. Just not as severe. Anyway, I ended up

taking the trays out of my mouth early.

A half hour went by and the pain finally subsided.... I had a filling

in the tooth a few months ago. The dentist used one of those silver colored fillings (as the cavity was on a part of

my tooth which isn't visible when I smile.) I'm not sure what to make of it. The bleach irritated the nerve. I

know that much. But I don't want to stop treatment. I can already see a small improvement in my teeth. Any advice?

Should I refrain from doing a 2 hour session? And cut it down to only 1 hour a day? I plan on calling the dentist

tommorow. But I was hoping maybe someone could help me on here.

Sorry if the post is a little sloppy. I'm

not very good at explaining things.

Mtnjim
06-21-2006, 04:30 PM
I did the "ZOOM" where they put on

the bleach and put you under a UV light for an hour. Afterwards, they give you pain killers for the very pains you

described. Last for a couple of hours after. It's part of the bletching. (for the cost, i would have gone for the

ZOOM, one hour and done-but you have to sit very still)

bronzie
06-21-2006, 04:53 PM
I dont understand this whole

thing about bleaching teeth?

A dentist once told me, can a negro turn white or a white turn negro?

Genetically not possible unless your micheal jackson.

What im getting at and not to sound racist, is that,

people should just accept thier teeth color, some teeth are born brown others white, and any bleaching done is

temporary , often painful and can cause some nasty long term side effects.

Just get your teeth cleaned and

polished and forget the phroxides and bleach, they do damage all for a fake short term vanity.

Fuse
06-21-2006, 06:42 PM
I dont understand

this whole thing about bleaching teeth?

A dentist once told me, can a negro turn white or a white turn negro?

Genetically not possible unless your micheal jackson.

What im getting at and not to sound racist, is that,

people should just accept thier teeth color, some teeth are born brown others white, and any bleaching done is

temporary , often painful and can cause some nasty long term side effects.

Just get your teeth cleaned and

polished and forget the phroxides and bleach, they do damage all for a fake short term vanity.

I

agree with you. And your dentist brings up a very good point. But I've been depressed about my teeth for almost a

year. I had holes in my front teeth for christ sake. I would wake up every morning and dread going out in public.

Even with pheromones (which did help me keep my spirits up btw.) But now I'm a lunatic about my teeth. I just had

$2,600 worth of dental work done. Thankfully my insurance paid for half of it. And I wanna whiten them. I think I

can handle a little pain.

Mtnjim
06-22-2006, 09:09 AM
As people age, once white teeth

tend to darken from food and environmental effects. That's why I did mine.

The Real FTR
06-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Call your dentist and talk

to him. I think if the enamel is worn in spots, the bleach can give you pain. They can seal the tooth so the

bleach doesn't get to it far enough to give pain. Pain from bleaching is common.

The only other thing is to use

the trays for greater frequency but less duration, or to wear them only every other night.

gaf
06-29-2006, 09:45 PM
I use the colgate "simply white"

toothpaste and honestly it does a good job. I'm always a bit sceptical of advertising but this stuff does work.

Over a few weeks you will notice a difference! ( now back to our programme...)

Intriguing Lure
07-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Teeth are not 100%

pearly white naturally. Ever. The amount of white vs yellow depends on the amount of enamel vs ivory in each

individual, and that has to do with genetics.
Stains can be polished off, and as long as the teeth are clean and

healthy, they look fine.
Originally bleaching was developped for extreme cases, but most people do not qualify.

Sorry that was a bit off topic but I'm sure your teeth are just fine.

gaf
07-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Thats why I tried the colgate

toothpaste, a friend used it and had good results but didn't have that "tv soap star bleach look"

urgggghhhhh!!!
My teeth have come up a lot better and it doesn't look unnatural , it took 3 weeks but i'm

happy!
I have nothing to do with the product , just saying it worked fine for me.:run: :thumbsup:
Forgot to

mention that I was a heavy coffee drinker and (pot) smoker so had about 15 years of "abuse" to remove.:wave:

The Real FTR
07-21-2006, 06:12 AM
Bleaching does work,

though, and even 1 shade lighter makes a brighter smile. I went from A3 to A1 while bleaching and it made a

difference.