PDA

View Full Version : IRS May Allow Your Private Tax Info To Be Sold

Mtnjim
03-24-2006, 03:59 PM
"Consumers aren't reacting very positively to the new IRS proposal to allow its approved tax prepares

to sell information from your yearly returns."

Enjoy:
http://www.kfmb.com/stories/story.43541.html

belgareth
03-24-2006, 04:16 PM
That's something H&R has been

pushing for a while. A lot of the small accounting firms are opposed to it. I suggest contacting your representative

to let them know how you feel. That information should never be provided to anybody.

Awfully generous with our

personal information, aren't they?

Mtnjim
03-24-2006, 04:19 PM
" Awfully generous with our

personal information, aren't they?"

Got to provide profits to your supporters (the big companies,not the "mom &

pops")!!

Mtnjim
03-27-2006, 04:12 PM
I also sent copies (edited to "Madam") to my 2 (Democrat) Representatives!

Sell my tax return?
Sir, I find

this IRS ruling a patently ridiculous and criminal invasion of privacy! I have great difficulty with the idea that I

have to submit information that could lead to invasion of my privacy and identity theft.

It is NO marketers

right to have a copy of my tax return; it is NONE of their business. Not only is it absurd to allow tax preparers to

sell MY information (it's MY information, where are MY profits), the law should make it a felony to release my

information to any one except authorized government entities.

Perhaps I shouldn't be so upset with this criminal

invasion of privacy and simply realize it is nothing more than the Imperial Republican Regime again saying "screw

the low life "citizen'", and kowtowing to their corporate masters!

That's my opinion on this matter!

Mtnjim
03-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Sell my tax

return?
Sir, I find this IRS ruling a patently ridiculous and criminal invasion of privacy! I have great difficulty

with the idea that I have to submit information that could lead to invasion of my privacy and identity theft.

It

is NO marketers right to have a copy of my tax return; it is NONE of their business. Not only is it absurd to allow

tax preparers to sell MY information (it's MY information, where are MY profits), the law should make it a felony

to release my information to any one except authorized government entities.

Further this policy is in direct

conflict with your own published “Taxpayer Rights” and I quote directly from your own publication:

II. Privacy

and
Confidentiality
The IRS will not disclose to anyone the
information you give us, except as
authorized by

law. You have the right to
know why we are asking you for
information, how we will use it, and what
happens if

you do not provide requested
information.
able to make monthly installment
payments.

Just because you are

passing it on to someone else does not mean you aren’t abdicating your responsibility!

That's my opinion on

this matter!

Mtnjim
04-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Thank you

for contacting me regarding a proposed change to Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules that would allow tax preparers

to more easily sell personal information from individuals' tax returns. I appreciate hearing from you, and I share

your concerns about this proposal.

The proposed rule change would allow tax preparers to sell personal financial

information to third parties, including data brokers and marketers, who could then resell the information. Although

taxpayers would have to give their written consent before their information was sold, this consent might not offer

enough protection because taxpayers frequently sign vast numbers of documents from their tax preparers and might not

fully understand them.

If this IRS proposal is enacted, American taxpayers' privacy rights would be

significantly weakened. It would also greatly increase the chances of the information being misused and of taxpayers

being victimized by identity theft. That is why I support Senator Barack Obama's (D-IL) bill, the Protecting

Taxpayer Privacy Act (S.2484), which would prohibit tax preparers from selling taxpayers' information to third

parties.

Again, thank you for writing to me. Rest assured that I will work to enact S.2484 into law, and I will

keep working to protect the security and privacy of personal information.

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator