PDA

View Full Version : Deodorant

alanrudy
03-24-2006, 03:54 AM
What deodorant do you guys use? I’ve been reading some

posts about this and heard to ditch regular deodorant which usually contains aluminum chlorhydrateas it is not good

for the natural mones you produce. And I’ve heard to use “active enzyme deodorant” to eliminate bad odors but not

your mones, also heard of using an EO (mostly sandalwood) to kill the bacteria, also heard of the no deodorant/no

shower route, and Thai Deodorant Stones (mineral salts). The problem is it hard to figure out which one of these I

should use. Are there any reasons I should use of these over the others? I plan to continue to shower close to

everyday and don’t like the smell of my pits a few days of not wearing deodorant (hopefully that will change as I

improve my diet and exercise, but this also could be the body getting rid of deodorant as DST suggested before).

Thanks for reading and any help.

DCW
03-24-2006, 07:15 AM
I never use deodorant more than once

a week.
I haven't had any bad reactions so far. I do shower everyday though somedays without soap, when I use

soap I apply a sandlewood soap that I found at www.asiachi.com/beeflower.html.
Just experiment it's

easy to do.

DCW

InternationalPlayboy
03-24-2006, 08:30 AM
I use English

Leather stick deodorant. Mainly out of habit as I've been using it for decades. I've tried ither ones, the fad one

now, Axe, and ones that are made to match cologne, such as Realm stick deodorant, and I keep going back to

EL.

Though I seldom use it anymore, English Leather was the first cologne (I think actually an aftershave)

that I used on a regular basis. I liked the old commercials where the hot woman would say, "all my men wear English

Leather, or they wear nothing at all." As a deodorant though, I find it masks B.O. well and as far as I can tell,

the scent is subtle enough that it doesn't clash with the colognes I wear.

marcuccio88
03-24-2006, 09:42 AM
I never use

Antiperspirant.
I dont use deodorant that contains alcohol (dont like the way they feel/smell)

I use several

deodorants in rotation:

Brut (my new fav)
Old Spice High Endurance Mountain Rush
Old Spice

High Endurance Pure Sport
I did wear Tom's of Maine Honeysuckle Rose for yearsI try to pick a deodorant

that is subtle but does the job (keeps the stink to a min) I dont use it for scent. I am also addicted to Brut

aftershave - but rarely use it alone - I like to layer a cologne over it.

enjoy!

luxveritas
03-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Only rarely do i feel I

"stink" so deoderant/antiperspirant is not high on my list. I wonder if other people think I smell bad. It is

thought that it is difficult to judge ones own body odor. I find that If I use antibacterial soap and bathe daily my

natural odor is not unpleasant. When I smell some funk I use old spice afterhours.

I only feel stinky when I have

been living hard.
eating lots of red meat
drinking lots of booz
smoking too many cigs
not getting my OJ or green

tea.

when speaking of pheromones the ones sold here are only part of the whole equation. Your body produces many

scent charicteristics based on your personal immunochemistry which are probably just as important as the ones

purchased. Antiperspirant would block those chemicals and maybe give you cancer one day.

InternationalPlayboy
03-24-2006, 10:22 AM
A good thing to do

is to distinguish between a deodorant, which just masks body ordor, and an antipersperant, which actually blocks

sweating.

You mentioned aluminum chlorhydrate in your first post. That is an ingriedient in antipersperant.

The reason that it's avised to avoid that compound is that it can clog the pores in the skin.

Gegogi
03-24-2006, 11:55 AM
I never use deodorant or

antiperspirant. I did briefly but quit because they irritate my skin. Plus, perhaps due to diet (organic veggies)

and race (Asian) I hardly produce BO. I can workout for an hour, get really sweaty, but don't stink much. Now I

have friends that smell like bloody hell after working out, but they eat lots of red meat and processed foods. I

figure if you're funky, it's time to hit the shower. Here in Honolulu you pretty much have to shower twice a day.

If you don't, you get so oily your pores plug up and you overheat.

DCW
03-24-2006, 12:43 PM
I never use deodorant

or antiperspirant. I did briefly but quit because they irritate my skin. Plus, perhaps due to diet (organic veggies)

and race (Asian) I hardly produce BO. I can workout for an hour, get really sweaty, but don't stink much. Now I

have friends that smell like bloody hell after working out, but they eat lots of red meat and processed foods. I

figure if you're funky, it's time to hit the shower. Here in Honolulu you pretty much have to shower twice a day.

If you don't, you get so oily your pores plug up and you overheat.

I agree the summers in Houston

make 2 showers mandatory in my opinion. It's hard to function with your balls sticking to your leg.

When I

first started to go without deodorant I used a mixture EO under my pits, this seem to enhance the pit odor so I stop

using anything under my arms with better results.

DCW

Gegogi
03-24-2006, 02:20 PM
I put NPA in my pits a couple

times and produced amazing funk. I smelled just like road-kill skunk.

DCW
03-24-2006, 03:09 PM
A remember a few years ago I forgot

to put on deodarant and was doing a lot of heavy lifting and geneal manual labour at my work place.
A lady that

had a crush on me mentioned that she likes my cologne.
At the time I thought she was being sarcastic but since

then with all this talk about natural mones and other articles maybe she turned on by the natural

odor.

DCW

alanrudy
03-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks guys and thanks for the

link dcw. Does Sandalwood EO (not the soap, the EO) have nol in it. I'd prefer it didn't since I'm just going

for something that doesn't make me smell bad. I heard that mineral salts may also be bad for your health. Since

the EO I have has nol, and I prob can't pull off the no deodorant thing yet, I'll try to find the active enzyme

deodorant, whatever it is.

phersurf
03-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Try, Earth Sciences Lichen

unscented deodorant or Kiss My Face Active Enzyme. These are unbelievably good! I've recomended them to several

friends and they all swear by them.

Both of these have natural enzymes that feed on the bacteria that cause

odor.

Why would I want to put a deodorant on that has a smell designed to mask odor that will interfer with

the smell of my cologne?

* I missed that you already mentioned Active Enzyme. Any good health food store

will have it.

CptKipling
03-24-2006, 06:04 PM
alan,

The "EOs" sold at

Love Scent aren't actually Essential Oils, they are fragrance oils (I could be wrong, that's what they were).

Essential Oils are extracted directly from where ever they came from, they are the essence of the source. For

example, Sandalwood comes from a tree.

Interestingly DST tells us that Sandal contains compounds that are

analogous to -rone, but that is a different matter altogether.

ToxDoc
03-24-2006, 09:41 PM
I have been using natural crystal

deodorant for some time now. It works beautifully for me; it's non-scented, non-sticky, very cheap, and lasts for

a full 24 hrs.

alanrudy
03-26-2006, 01:07 AM
I was trying to do some

research on the internet and found some info that the crystals may not be so good either because they typically have

another form of aluminum and any aluminum is bad. But I also read something else on the internet by a Dr that

basically said there is very minimal risk and we should be a lot more worried about the salts we eat than mineral

salt deodorant.
Still confused on what to use :think: .

But pretty sure I won't be using deodorant or

antiperspirant anymore after the stuff I've read here and other places. Makes me re-think whether other products we

use regularly have similar potential risks.
Thanks for the info on the EO's CPTKipling. Do you use deodorant? What

kind?
I'm also wondering whether I should try to be going with one scent on my body altogether (soap, deodorant,

cologne). But still don't know :think: .
I've even heard the no deodorant route could be bad cause of bacteria

that can grow. What do you guys think is better for the natural mones on our body and also minimum health risk: no

deodorant, active enzyme, mineral salt, or essential oil.

The past links on similar topics (see bottom of page)

are interesting but kinda lack answers, I guess it's just a matter of preference.

Gegogi
03-26-2006, 02:36 AM
I've even heard the no

deodorant route could be bad cause of bacteria that can grow.

That's why we take regular showers.

Think about it, if you use deodorant in your pits because you're afraid of bacteria, what about the rest of your

body? Your mouth has a multitude more of bacteria. Your head hair is loaded with bacteria. Dare I mention your

crotch, ass crack and feet? Of course they do make feminine crotch spray (I guess a guy could use it), foot spray,

scented shampoo and hair goo and mouth wash. It easier just to hit the shower and be clean rather than plugged and

covered.

CptKipling
03-26-2006, 11:38 AM
I do use deoderant sometimes,

when I do it's usually Lynx (same as AXE). I prefer Sandalwood but I ran out.

DCW
03-26-2006, 02:22 PM
That's why we take

regular showers. Think about it, if you use deodorant in your pits because you're afraid of bacteria, what about

the rest of your body? Your mouth has a multitude more of bacteria. Your head hair is loaded with bacteria. Dare I

mention your crotch, ass crack and feet? Of course they do make feminine crotch spray (I guess a guy could use it),

foot spray, scented shampoo and hair goo and mouth wash. It easier just to hit the shower and be clean rather than

plugged and covered.

Exactly!! The point here is to BAAATHE!!!
It wont kill you.
NO EO, cologne

or fancy mixture are going to help you if you smell like Pepe Leplue.

DCW

alanrudy
03-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks, yeah makes sense. I

decided to go the no deodorant route most times and get one of those other items for the times I really need it

(unlike G, I'm as hairy as a gorilla and don't have that good of a diet as G yet). I guess I'll pick one at

random cause not sure if there's any difference whether you wear active enzyme, eo, or a mineral salt. I've read

about the eo's and sandalwood which sounds very impressive, so maybe I'll go that route for everything and also

get sandalwood shower gel, soap, aftershave, toothpaste, toilet paper (ok j/k about the last two :lol:).

live4themusic
07-11-2006, 01:11 PM
After reading this thread a few days ago, I stopped using deoderant. I am vegetarian, I don't eat egg products,

and I shower regularly, so I figured what the hell, I could do without, right?

Wrong. Yesterday, the stench of

my armpits was bothering me so much I washed with soap and a washcloth (didn't shower yesterday, though I usually

do every day). I didn't put on Axe Dry - Unlimited, which I had been using every day up until 3 days ago. A few

hours after washing up, I noticed a little irritation in my 'pits, but attributed it to scrubbing with a

washcloth.

Well, I woke up today stinking like a skunk's ass, and took a shower. I normally wash once with soap

when I shower, but still smelled after a once-over, so I washed my armpits with soap again (Irish Springs I

believe.)

After getting out of the shower I noticed my 'pits smelling pretty awful, and not only that, my left

armpit was stinging quite a bit too. Realizing I had a pretty bad rash, I panicked and, not wanting to use Axe, I

applied some "Naturally Fresh Deoderant Crystal" (Contains: Natural Mineral Salts, Ammonium Alum -- "forms a

naturally protective barrier against odor-causing bacteria")

When I rubbed on the crystal it started stinging

like a bitch.. it helped with the smell a little bit, but I'm worried it's irritated the rash. Should I go back to

Axe or is there any way for me to not stink without deoderant. Also, how can I get rid of this rash?

phersurf
07-11-2006, 02:43 PM
When I

rubbed on the crystal it started stinging like a bitch.. it helped with the smell a little bit, but I'm worried

it's irritated the rash. Should I go back to Axe or is there any way for me to not stink without deoderant. Also,

how can I get rid of this rash?

The sting was probably due to rubbing a salt on irritated skin and

shouldn't make it worse (but I'm not a Dr.).

You may want to try my previous recomendations form my post

above -

"Try, Earth Sciences Lichen unscented deodorant or Kiss My Face Active Enzyme"

These have

enzymes that feed off of odor causing bacteria without the use of salts. They are both VERY effective!

live4themusic
07-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Duly noted, I will pick

some up when I get the chance.

alanrudy
07-11-2006, 03:26 PM
I remember reading something, I

think it was from Dr. Smell This, that your pits need time to get used to not wearing deodorant or something like

that...that it was natural for them to smell for a while after you stop but that after a while the smell would go

away.
I heard that Crystal salts may not be good because of that aluminum alum, but that might not be that big of a

deal.
I now use an organic deodorant from whole foods which doesn't seem to have those harmful ingredients.
I

passed on the active enzyme deodorant cause I was thinking if they feed off the odor causing bacteria, they also may

be feeding on or interfering with my natural mone production, but that may not be that big of a deal.
Maybe give a

little time for the rash to go away. If you've changed your exercise patterns recently and you put more force on

your arms or pits for whatever exercise, that could be the thing causing the irritation, but I'm not a doctor.

The Real FTR
07-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Those natural deodorants

are notorious for causing pit rash. I used this gorgeous smelling one from LUSH and by the second day, my armpits

were on fire.

NEVER AGAIN.

DrSmellThis and I agreed to disagree on the subject literally years ago, but

stepping up as a female, my recommendation is wash regularly AND wear deodorant. Get Tom's of Maine or some such

from Whole Foods, if you feel better about it. If it irritates your skin, stop using that brand right away.

BO

is an instant and unforgiveable turn off to most women. IMO, it's not a chance you want to take.

Rashkae
07-11-2006, 07:26 PM
As a total fragrance junkie (54

bottles of EDT in my collection and growing), I can't stand pit-stench. My personal fave colognes are:

1. The

Body Shop - Of A Man roll-on. Don't get the deo stick, it fails after an hour. The roll-on lasts all day

Gilette Cool Breeze deo gel

3. Nivea for men deo

The Real FTR: Interestingly, her ein singapore, where we

have a very high amount of south asians, the pit-skank can be suffocating on a train. Yet, for some reason, a lot of

chinese girls really go for the south asians.
I figure they're either immune to the stench by now, their sense of

smell has given up and died, or they like the smell of BO.

(mind you, I'm not trying to be racist in any way...

just stating facts...)

The Real FTR
07-11-2006, 07:39 PM
I guess if you're a South

Asian in Singapore, you can afford to take your chances, then. :-D

As far as synchronizing your deodorant to

your cologne, etc., I've given up, and settled on unscented soap, lotion, and deodorant. Then I can wear whatever

fragrance I want without fear of it clashing with anything else.

ohmmmm
07-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Hmmm,

I've not tried it but

bath and bodyworks has a cucumber smelling soft soap...and you might apply a licorice type oil afterwards....kind of

a make your own scent, instead of a regular deoderant. Oh well, it might not go over very well with the guy

friiends but it has possibilities with the ladies...??? :run:

gaf
07-12-2006, 01:43 AM
I don't use soap in the shower on

my body , I've found I stink less since I stopped using soap. Under my arms I use a tea tree oil based anti

persperant, usually anything under there brings me out in a rash but this is the first product that

doesn't.
During summer here it can get humid so I tend to shower twice a day , otherwise the only soap i use is on

my hands after ummm , you get the picture..

Lor
07-12-2006, 04:12 AM
:wave: just my 2 cents but
everyone

is talking about the outside. also helps when there is a noticeable problem, to work on inside as well. there are

suppliments (not serious ones, low dose vitamins and whatnot) that will help, as well as drinking danactives-like

stuff and replacing the good bacteria in your body. something about what you add on the inside makes you smell

different/heal faster on the outside.

Brookotter
07-23-2006, 09:07 AM
Been wondering about

this...

Typically, I use an unscented gel (ban) which does have Aluminum Chlorohydrate and Propolene Glycol

(another no-no) in it, but when I test it on myself using Applied Kinesiology (muscle testing) it tests strong

(meaning ok) where most of the other products don't.

It's not poplular, so when I find it on the shelf, I

tend to stock up.

That said, I'd prefer something that was more 'natural' and the Kiss My Face suggestion's a

good one. Will pick some up at Whole Foods, give it a try.

Something that works for me, is Dr. Bronner's Tea

Tree Oil liquid soap. It's all-natural, and the TTO is a pretty good antisceptic. I use it as a deodorant soap,

and it works well for me. The scent might not be for everyone, but I prefer it to the lab-smell of chemical

deodorant soaps...

B