PDA

View Full Version : Found Interesting article on Seattle Times :) Read!!

b737pilot88
01-24-2006, 11:24 PM
Give men a "body fragrance" and they'll surely stink up a room

By

Jim Shea

The Hartford Courant

Men do not do subtle.

Ask a man to keep a secret, and he'll announce to

everyone he meets that there is something he can't talk about.

Tell a man that the suggested dress attire is

laid back and casual, and he'll show up in flip-flops and a Speedo.

Give a guy a couple of beers and a dance

floor, and what comes to mind is electrocution.

So when marketers began hyping various men's body sprays, washes

and lotions as being irresistible to women, well, the male response has been predictable: They've been buying the

stuff by the vat, rationalizing that if a little bit of these fragrances will help you get a girl, then crop-dusting

yourself with a lot of the stuff will help you get a lot of girls.

This is why more and more men are walking

around these days smelling like they have been dragged through wild flowers, dipped in the ocean and then

water-boarded in rain-forest fruit pulp.

Men just do not do well with fragrances, which is why they should

probably not be allowed to purchase anything scented without a prescription.

Nor should they be permitted to

apply anything from the scent family to their bodies — with the possible exception of foot powder — without proper

supervision.

No, men are much better off teetering along the edge of funky. Give them a shower and Speed Stick,

and they should be good to go in most circumstances.

The only time men should resort to outside aromatic agents

is in situations where they have not had a chance to shower and their natural state might violate human-rights or

chemical-weapons treaties.

What is ironic about the current male obsession with fragrance is that it might mask

the natural scents that actually can attract women.
From what I have been reading, our bodies produce these odors

called pheromones. And pheromones — which are kind of complicated but seem to work like airborne Spanish Fly — can

make us appear appealing to the opposite sex.

A couple of key things to keep in mind about pheromones are: Unless

one has undergone bloodhound-tracking training, a human can't consciously smell them. And, in terms of appealing,

we're talking about initially appealing.

All the pheromones in the world aren't going to help if you're

middle-aged and still living with mom.

Another interesting thing about the attraction power of pheromones is that

we usually smell best to a person whose genetically based immunity to disease differs most from our own. Which, call

me sentimental, does kind of take the romance out of it.

Lorenzo_91
01-24-2006, 11:33 PM
:LOL:Fantastic, that was

funny, entretaining and over all fine holiday fun. Thanks for posting that. Peace.

Gegogi
01-25-2006, 01:00 AM
I live in a large condo complex

and my neighbor, a chubby middle aged Asian guy, sprays himself from head to foot with cologne, stinking up the

hallway for hours. I guess he doesn't want to stink out his roomates so does the deed in the hall. My eyes burn as

I walk down the hallway, and I can smell his trail all the way to the parking garage. Nevertheless, I've known a

few women to be gulity of hosing themselves down with scent, so it ain't just a guy thang.

gaf
01-25-2006, 01:27 AM
The author is an idiot.
If this

was written by a woman it might be mildly amusing, but the fact that it was written by a guy is just sad,very

sad.
Yes I understand that it might be satire but do we have to put up with this dumb shit from another man? I

find it to be another example of the "men are stupid" camp that we see far too often in the media.
ummm, time

for another beer i think.

tim929
01-25-2006, 04:39 AM
Im with you on the "men are

stupid" thing.Men tend to get a very bad rap in alot of areas these days,even though we realy dont deserve it.In

most cases,women arent any brighter or more inteligent or more capable than men.If you doubt my word on that,ask a

woman to design and build a turbine engine,complex multiple reduction gear,turret lathe,particle

accelerator,suspension bridge,intercooled turbo charger,hydroelectric dam,retail department store,high resolution

spy satalite,thermal imaging camera,computerised axial tomography machine,lipstick container...All of these

important contributions to day to day living were brought to you by...yup...MEN!

Although,alot of guys do tend

to lay on the old spice alittle heavy.

a.k.a.
01-25-2006, 08:05 AM
No doubt there are many brilliant

men. And the author of this article doesn't appear to be one of them.
But it's also true that subtlety is

not our strong point. And I run into very few guys that can wear cologne without leaving a chemical trail everywhere

they go.

DCW
01-25-2006, 09:40 AM
It'a all depends on body chemistry,

I must admit that I usually use about 5 sprays myself.
No complaints though.

DCW

tounge
01-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Saw this posted on the Basenotes

forum yesterday, and found some of the responses to be interesting.

Gegogi
01-25-2006, 02:19 PM
I find it to be another

example of the "men are stupid" camp that we see far too often in the media.
You are defensive aren't

you? The article is humor based on male stereotypes we all know and love. It doesn't say or imply men are stupid.

Men are merely less refined than women when it comes to scent choice and use. Nevertheless, you should see the

difference between test scores and term papers my male and female students produce. Men lag behind bigtime. I think

men merely have different priorities in life than women, and studying ain't one of them. It has nothing to do with

being stupid.

tim929
01-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Yeah...it was a shot at humor

based on male stereotypes.And...well...I tend to be alittle over sensative on the subject from the stand point that

this stereotype has been used to destroy so many of my friends in divorce court.Sort of like the stereotypes that

land innocent black men in prison for crimes they couldnt have commited.:sad:

On the flip side of the

coin,being subtle has never realy been the male strong suit.If you look at the rather abreviated list of things I

mentioned above that have been brought to the world by men,you will notice that none of them are exactly

subtle.Suspension bridges and hydroelectric dams and turbine engines have a way of being alot less than subtle.And

in terms of fragrances...well...I can smell the old spice from here:run:

Friendly1
01-25-2006, 06:08 PM
Im with you on

the "men are stupid" thing.Men tend to get a very bad rap in alot of areas these days,even though we

realy dont deserve it.....
Although,alot of guys do tend to lay on the old spice alittle

heavy.

Be careful what you say. Someone may pay attention.

I liked the article. Thought it was spot

on.

Probably described me in my heavy cologne days a couple of years ago (but I smelled great...).

tounge
01-25-2006, 08:27 PM
.Sort of like the

stereotypes that land innocent black men in prison for crimes they couldnt have commited.:sad:

Hate to break it, but there are alot more white innocents that were unjustly convicted.

Gegogi
01-25-2006, 08:54 PM
In Hawaii over 50% of the people

in prison are native Hawaiians, although they make up less than 1% of the population. They once numbered in the

hundreds of thousands. I'm not sure what that means, but someone sure got shalfted. Hawaii was a constitutional

monarchy a little over a 100 years ago. The US Marines put a end to that and built a really nice harbor for the new

"Pacific Age."

gaf
01-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Sorry if my reply seemed over the

top , must be a hormonal thing as i can (sort of)see the funny side now..