PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Satellite Internet?

Bruce
01-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Anyone know

anything about getting satellite internet while on the road? I Googled it and found a couple of dishes that you can

theoretically put on the top of an RV and get hi speed internet from anywhere inside of the US (including lonely

mountain tops and deserts). One was a crank out type of thing you can only use while stationary. Kind of like an

RV TV anetenna. The other one looked way cool and was just a foot hight dome thing that you could probably put on a

van or any large vehicle and use even while rolling down the road. I assume you could get TV stations off them too.

Does this really work or what?

TIA,
B

belgareth
01-16-2006, 04:21 PM
I think Cingular has something

along those lines.

Mtnjim
01-17-2006, 01:08 PM
The Sattelite dish you see is

probably "Direct way" from DirectTV. The domes, to my knowledge" are used by companies that track "big rigs" and UPS

trucks for the companies.

buffd
01-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Alot of high-end vehicles and RVs

purchase the satellite internet from KVH. It is gyroscope type of dish that supposedly never loses signal. Although,

I believe the airtime to be pricey. You can find them at www.kvh.com (http://www.kvh.com).

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the aforementioned company and have not received compensation for

mention of their name. Maybe I should be an attorney, huh

buffd

tim929
01-17-2006, 07:51 PM
My understanding...and this may

be incorrect...is that your upload speed is considerably slower than your download speed.If thats true,it shouldnt

hurt anything unless you are trying to send someone a large file.

Bruce
01-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Thanks guys. I checked that URL and

they mentioned a couple of our local RV dealers as local sources for the equipment. One of them is a town over and

is sort of the mother of all RV joints. I'm going to give them a call. Thanks.

Tim: I read that two about

satellite internet in general. Thanks.

B