PDA

View Full Version : Cologne/Mix

Jaggy
01-01-2002, 08:59 PM
Hey guys,

What sort of ratios have you been using mixing NPA or PI with Cologne. I\'ve just gotten into this, as opposed to continuously using APC or scented TE/Attraction, etc.

Any good cologne suggestions? I\'ve been using Lagerfeld, which has been getting some good reviews. Also, for those of you who are using e-oils to mix, what do you use to tone down the scent a little.

Thanks

[ January 01, 2002: Message edited by: Jaggy ]

**DONOTDELETE**
01-01-2002, 09:24 PM
i\'ve mixed NPA/Lucky cologne at a 1:5 mixture, and that worked good, but what really make it good was a shot of \"Yes\" on top of it, and the combo of both was very good.

oscar
01-02-2002, 06:59 AM
Jaggy,

If a cologne is especially intense, I\'ll mix it 4 to 1 with NPA so I know that I\'ll end up with a decent dose of pheros when a conservative amount of fragrance is applied.
On the other hand, if your cologne is more subtle, a 6 to 1 ratio will insure that you don\'t OD on the pheros when you apply a greater amount of the scent. With most average strength colognes the 5 to 1 ratio that the Drifter suggested is a safe bet as a starting point for experimentation.
I don\'t use PI in mixes. The fact that it\'s oil based makes it a risky mixer. I prefer to use it as a highlight, applying it separately.

I\'ve done a lot of mixing with \"L\'eau D\'Issey\" by Issey Miyake. It\'s a fresh clean scent, and it has some staying power, which is real important for a phero-covering fragrance. Just yesterday I discovered by going through a bunch of samples I picked up, that both Dior\'s \"Higher\" and Ralph Lauren\'s \"Romance\" have fragrances similar to the Issey, but I haven\'t put them through an endurance test yet.

I\'ve used Everclear (ethanol) and distilled water to cut E-oils to cologne and eau de toilette concentrations. There\'s a great chart on www.fragrancesupplies.com (\"http://www.fragrancesupplies.com\") that gives ratios for varying strengths of scent. Click right on the \"Making Perfume\" category heading and scroll down to the table. This one is definitely worth bookmarking or copying for anyone wanting to use oils as a fragrance base.
If the oil is subtle go with the cologne ratios. If the oil is more powerful, try cutting it down to the eau de toilette, or even after-shave levels. Always dissolve the oil completely in the ethanol first, then add the water. Just work quickly, have things planned out in advance, because at 95% alcohol, Everclear evaporates very quickly!
Happy Mixing! images/icons/wink.gif

Oscar images/icons/laugh.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
01-02-2002, 10:56 AM
As far as mixing, I tend to like to put pheros on and then add the cologne. Main reason to do that is that if you are going out to different situations, you can boost or cut either. Also I have noted in my mixes that the scent leaves and the phero-smell stays in the long run. This happens less with the straight stuff.

About mixing alcohol in, the tips above are correct. My only addition is to have a bunch of squares of aluminum foil around. You can temporarily cap any bottle or vial with them.

oscar
01-02-2002, 06:44 PM
TCO,

Try www.99perfume.com (\"http://www.99perfume.com\") or www.empireperfume.com (\"http://www.empireperfume.com\") or www.perfumemart.com (\"http://www.perfumemart.com\") . All three list New West in their blurbs on a search I did on AOL. Good Luck!

**DONOTDELETE**
01-02-2002, 11:39 PM
Hey All,

I have found that NPA mixed with cologne works allot better than PI mixed. When I use PI I dab it on then cover with cologne.

As far as mixing, Oscar is right. The ratio depends on the intensity of the cologne. So know the cologne as well as your atomizer dosage prior to mixing. But for most mixes 5 to 1 ratio seems to very effective. But for colognes like Lagerfeld or Tsar I think 4 to 1 works better.

Hey I have a question for you all. Does anyone know of anyplace to purchase \"New West\" cologne by the house of Aramis? It has been discontinued. I purchased the last bottle from a perfume wholesaler last month. He told me he cannot find it anymore at all. Or if anyone knows of a Knockoff site or business, where they might have the oil or noname fragrance of New West.

Thanks

TCO

**DONOTDELETE**
01-03-2002, 10:39 AM
Thanx Oscar;

I ordered two bottles of it last night. Will be here tommorow.

TCO

oscar
01-03-2002, 05:06 PM
TC1,

Glad I could help!

oscar
01-04-2002, 03:29 PM
TallCoolOne,

Check this out! I was flipping around on www.basenotes.com (\"http://www.basenotes.com\") and hit the \"other similar fragrances\" button on the L\'eau D\'Issey page, and guess what came up? New West! images/icons/laugh.gif

I also noticed that among the notes listed for Lolita Lempicka was Absinthe! images/icons/shocked.gif

And here I\'ve just been DRINKING the stuff!
Didn\'t know that I could WEAR it too! images/icons/crazy.gif

Oscar images/icons/wink.gif

a.k.a.
01-04-2002, 04:10 PM
Speaking of Lolita Lempicka, IMO it’s a nice winter fragrance, but I don’t like the way it mixes with NPA or TE. I like it with a tinny dab of PI and a dab of AE.

aaron
04-03-2002, 10:59 AM
Has anyone tried \"Lanvin l\'homme\" as a fragrance? I\'ll be considering mixing either this, \"Drakkar Noir\" or \"Allure\" by Chanel with either PI or NPA. Any suggestions as per the ratios?

I\'ll be mixing in an atomiser. Just curious as to how many sprays to use, and where for optimum effect.