PDA

View Full Version : Pheromones in the darkroom?

catlord17
01-08-2006, 04:44 PM
I have

darkroom for one of my college classes this semester, just like last semester... last semester, I only had access to

APC. That seemed to have no effect at 2-3 dabs, which is what I tried.

Anyway, it's a black and white

darkroom, and I am wondering, does anyone who uses a darkroom think the chemical fumes would affect the

pheromones?

StandingTall
01-08-2006, 05:08 PM
APC by itself has always had

a greater effect on me than on people around me. I just like the smell and it usually puts me in a good mood. The

jambat mix does a good job of getting effects on others and on myself.

catlord17
01-08-2006, 05:54 PM
APC by

itself has always had a greater effect on me than on people around me. I just like the smell and it usually puts me

in a good mood. The jambat mix does a good job of getting effects on others and on myself.

I

haven't decided which 'mones I am going to test, but I don't get a lot of opportunity to interact with the women

in my photography classes outside of the darkroom. If darkroom chemicals will kill them, I'm somewhat SOL.

Gegogi
01-08-2006, 05:59 PM
You should ask this question on

one of the forums at photo.net! The last B&W darkroom class I took had 15 enlarger stations and gallons of chemicals

everywhere. The forced air circulation drew the fumes out pretty quickly. I don't think your 'mone scent will have

a chance at lingering in a school darkroom due to ventilation. Plus, isn't it mostly guys in there?

catlord17
01-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Our darkroom has no forced

circulation that I know of. We typically have about two gallons of exposed chemistry at a time between developer,

stop bath and fixer. And no, it's mostly females. :thumbsup:

I will post there, I guess, but I was kinda

hoping to "keep it to the phero family".

Shenandoah
01-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Can't beleive that you have

a darkroom w/o some sort of ventalation in this obsessively safety conscious culture. I would think the

administrators would be afraid of litigation.

I see the relatively simple chemicals in B&W photography as

possibly only having at most somewhat numbing effects on the VNO, or the higher olfactory receptors that synergize

with the VNO. It would be a lot like a smokey bar room. So go for it. Just realize that more mones might be needed.

SoE & A-none (TE, AE/m, or NPA) would be a good place to start.

Given the very different nature of the chemicals

involved (acids & salts vs complex organic ringed alcohols & double bonded oxides) there might be no competing

effects at all.

With all the chemical smell in there, a cover scent probably wouldn't be needed, but a nice one

would be a very welcome change, especially when emerging from the darkroom.

Mtnjim
01-09-2006, 03:01 PM
I would suspect the fixer will get

you.

Rbt
01-10-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm suprised that no one, so far,

has just told you to "try it and see what develops..."

Experimentation may be in order, but I'd certainly

start with small doses in case there is an adverse reaction. Also maybe something that washes off easily if you have

to, like Perception. In my experience Perception rinses off with water.

Friendly1
01-10-2006, 07:31 PM
I don't think it will be an

issue. By the time you get into the darkroom with the girls, they will probably have had a snootful of pheromones

already.

You're more likely to find casual contact increasing in the dark regardless of how strong the

chemicals are.

catlord17
01-11-2006, 12:52 AM
I don't

think it will be an issue. By the time you get into the darkroom with the girls, they will probably have had a

snootful of pheromones already.

You're more likely to find casual contact increasing in the dark regardless of

how strong the chemicals are.

My photo professor is so laid back that we can show up whenever. So even

though I usually get there on time, the lab is usually empty except for inside the darkroom, or in the developing

room, but I always developat home to keep my materials from getting stolen/lost/broken/you name it. So I only show

up to print.

I have noticed that the darkroom atmosphere does tend to be pretty laid back, if anyone is talking

at all.

As far as I recall, I never heard any fans going in the darkroom... I don't recallany special

ventilation efforts. Then again, I have not been really looking for them either. I know we have some obsessive

safety rules enforcers there, but the rules don't seem to always make sense.

In any case, I am going to be in

the darkroom tomorrow, so we shall see if I have any hits.

catlord17
01-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Since I'm doing Advanced

photography this semester, the instructor said I can use digital if I like... which certainly appeals, sinceI don;t

have to worryabout buying, developing, cutting, and orgnizing film then. And while I will miss the prints, I won't

miss the extra headache. so I guess I will just hang out and teast the girlies with pheros instead of printing.

lol