PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting Study ...

bosshank
12-24-2005, 03:40 PM
I remember

reading about an interesting although only somewhat scientific "study" (too few subjects) but I cannot remember all

the details or where I read it. In essence, women were shown pictures of men and asked which they most likely would

want to meet and/or seemed empathetic. It seemed that those women who were ovulating or close to it were most

attracted by "masculine" faces and those at the end of their cycles found men with more effeminate features more

desireable.
This must seems to follow the observation about when 'rone may appeal or repel some women.
Sorry this

is so sketchy. DrSmellThis and others who follow this much more closely may know the details.

catlord17
12-24-2005, 11:05 PM
Are you sure it was 'rone and

not 'none?

bosshank
12-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Yes - you are right. another

instance of mind-fingers disconnect.

bjf
12-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Bosshank, yes it does have to do with

none. See my thread on "perfect ratios" about this face stuff. I also just recently wrote about it in my blog, and

had a long post on another forum.

tim929
12-26-2005, 09:15 AM
The one I saw on the Discovery

chanel was very cute and said alot about how women are hard wired in relation to men and thier phisical

appearance.Women were shown two photographs...one was a picture of a realy masculine guy in a well tailored suit

standing in front of a BMW,the other was a realy good looking guy holding a mop and wearing a fast food

uniform...Women catagoricaly chose the guy with the suit and the BMW as being the more attractive of the two.What

was funny,is that it was two pictures of the same guy.They didnt even realize that until they were told and looked

more closely at the two pictures.But men seemed to know right away that it was the same guy.

tounge
12-26-2005, 09:30 AM
The one I saw on the

Discovery chanel was very cute and said alot about how women are hard wired in relation to men and thier phisical

appearance.Women were shown two photographs...one was a picture of a realy masculine guy in a well tailored suit

standing in front of a BMW,the other was a realy good looking guy holding a mop and wearing a fast food

uniform...Women catagoricaly chose the guy with the suit and the BMW as being the more attractive of the two.What

was funny,is that it was two pictures of the same guy.They didnt even realize that until they were told and looked

more closely at the two pictures.But men seemed to know right away that it was the same guy.

Good education, good job. Get nice car and wear nice threads. Sure seems to attract women.

tim929
12-26-2005, 09:42 AM
I went out on a job interview a

couple weeks ago and stopped at my favorite coffee shop wearing my new suit.One of the girls there who I talk with

on a regular basis seemed very impressed and when I went back day befor yesterday she was extremely flirty.Usualy I

wear jeans and a sweater or sweat shirt and she is nice,but not terribly flirty.Now it would seem that my stock

value has improved.It realy is interesting what a nice set of threads does...

jvkohl
12-26-2005, 11:18 PM
I remember reading

about an interesting although only somewhat scientific "study" (too few subjects) but I cannot remember all the

details or where I read it. In essence, women were shown pictures of men and asked which they most likely would want

to meet and/or seemed empathetic. It seemed that those women who were ovulating or close to it were most attracted

by "masculine" faces and those at the end of their cycles found men with more effeminate features more

desireable.
This must seems to follow the observation about when 'rone may appeal or repel some

women.

In Annu Rev Psychol 2006. 57:7 "The Evolutionary Psychology of Facial Beauty" Gill Rhodes

cites 4 different works that lead to the following statement."Women's preferences shift toward relatively masculine

faces during the fertile phase of the menstrual cycle (for women not on oral contraceptives).

The 2006

publication year is correct. The article abstract was not indexed on Medline last time I checked for it; but should

be available some time soon. I just happen to have an inside track on some of what's coming. You probably caught a

prepublication media release.

JVK

tim929
12-27-2005, 12:55 AM
I love it when JVK leaps in to

these things.Its nice to read something from someone who has a better clue than I have.But you forgot to mention the

relationship between pheromone output and masculine facial features:think:

jvkohl
12-27-2005, 07:50 AM
I love it when JVK

leaps in to these things.Its nice to read something from someone who has a better clue than I have.But you forgot to

mention the relationship between pheromone output and masculine facial features:think:

The article by

Rhodes addresses only the fact that there is a shift. Although mention is made that preferences may be by-products

of the way brains process information, and that extreme examples of masculine or feminine features might be

associated with signaling that also is extreme with regards to a strong learned response, there's no mention of

pheromones, despite the fact that production and distribution of pheromones directly correlates with the

androgen/estrogen ratio Rhodes links to facial beauty. When I offer a citation, I typically do not like to add

commentary to the picture--it's somewhat like putting words into someone's mouth. Most people on the Forum are at

least somewhat aware of the pheromonal connection to masculinity and femininity, so I'll not go into detail at this

time. I'll have a journal article out sometime next year that will better detail the connection, which cites Rhodes

as well (and is the reason I was able to find the pertinent info).

JVK

bosshank
12-29-2005, 05:39 PM
"You probably caught a

prepublication media release" - jvkohl.

Yes - it was probably a quick abstract of some sort in one of the

medical journals floating around here. Wife's, not mine.

Mtnjim
01-03-2006, 11:28 AM
There was some

mention of this(?) study in that Discovery chanel program a year or so ago that

Francoeur was quoted in. The study was in a segment a little earlier

than the discussion of ~mones segment where Francoeur was

interviewed. If I remember right JVK has a copy of

it.