PDA

View Full Version : Los Straitjackets Christmas Pageant

InternationalPlayboy
12-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Got back late last night from a whirlwind trip to San Diego, or more specifically, Solana Beach. Headed

up there Saturday to see the surf guitar band, Los Straitjackets (http://www.straitjackets.com/), with a

stage show provided by The World Famous Pontani Sisters (http://www.pontanisisters.com/) at the Belly Up

Tavern.

A description of the show from Los Straitjackets' website:

Los Straitjackets and The

World Famous Pontani Sisters Xmas Pageant!
Tue, Nov. 15 2005

Over the past two years, thousands have

been amused & entertained by the unique blend of masked mayhem, rock & roll Christmas songs and choreographed kicks

and twirls of The Christmas Pageant. For the novice—here’s a recap: Los Straitjackets play the toe-tapping numbers

from their yule-tastic album ‘Tis The Season for Los Straitjackets’ while The Pontani Sisters execute elaborately

choreographed routines to the songs. Each routine brings with it a new eye-popping costume and outrageous props.

What more could you ask for? Well, like last year, year the gang decided to up the ante. Kaiser George, leader of

Scotland’s legendary Kaisers, will be joining the tour as MC and occasional vocalist. He’s even composed a brand new

Christmas Hully Gully song for the occasion. So avoid shoddy imitations, come to the original masked rock & roll

family burlesque Christmas extravaganza.

This year's Pageant is brought to you by Secrets in

Lace.

I saw them on Conan O"Brien a few years ago. Los Straitjackets were introduced, and here are

four musicians wearing Mexican wrestler masks who start a surf guitar version of "Here Comes Santa Claus." Then

three women, the Pontani Sisters, come dancing out in short Santa outfits and white go-go boots. I laughed because

it was cheezy, but the girls' attitudes won me over and I became an instant fan.

Great show Saturday night!

The first band was a rockabilly group, which is one of my favorite types of rock. Then later, the Christmas pageant

started. I'm not a big surf music fan, but I do appreciate good surf guitar. Los Straitjackets are good! They

really wailed the crap out of their guitars. And since the show was sponsored by a lingerie company, we were treated

to a short lingerie show by the lovely Pontanis.

My date and I had a great time. That was my Christmas party

for the season. If anyone reading has any interest in surf guitar music, I highly recommend Los

Straitjackets.

And I recommend the Pontanis too. Even though they are a bit cheezy, they know it and have fun

with it. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have gone to the show and probably would have been in Phoenix at Alice

Cooper's Christmas Pudding instead. I have no regrets in my choice of venues.