PDA

View Full Version : Creativity tied to sexual 'success'

belgareth
12-08-2005, 07:18 AM
Creativity tied to sexual 'success' By Amy Norton

Wed Dec 7, 2005

NEW

YORK (Reuters Health) - Artists may indeed have a more active love life than most of us -- and part of the reason

may be their tendency toward a certain schizophrenia-linked personality trait, a study suggests.

In a survey of 425 British adults, researchers found that serious

poets and visual artists generally had more sexual partners than those who were either not artistic or only dabbled

in the arts.

Further analysis showed that one personality dimension

-- a tendency toward "unusual" thoughts and perceptions -- was related to both creativity and sexual

success.

That tendency is also seen in people with schizophrenia. And

the findings, according to the study authors, may help explain why schizophrenia -- a mental disorder that often

runs in families -- has not been extinguished from the gene pool.

Certain schizophrenia-related personality traits, they speculate, may confer benefits when they are not part

of a mental illness. When they instead spur creativity, for example, they may offer a mating advantage, according to

the researchers, led by Daniel Nettle, a psychologist at the University of

Newcastle.

He and colleague Helen Keenoo report their findings in the

journal Proceedings of the Royal Society.

Artists, from 18th Century

poets to 21st Century musicians, have a well-earned reputation for leading busy romantic lives. But until now, there

had never been a systematic comparison to document the phenomenon, Nettle told Reuters

Health.

There have, though, been studies showing that creative types

have higher-than-average rates of schizophrenia in their families, and that they themselves have a heightened

tendency toward schizophrenia-like traits.

Schizophrenia itself has a

strong genetic component, and since people with the disorder suffer poor overall health and have a low likelihood of

having children, evolution should have lead to the disappearance of traits that predispose to

schizophrenia.

But it has not. And some researchers have speculated

that the link between schizophrenic traits and creativity -- a positive effect -- could be one

reason.

In the new study, participants disclosed the number of sexual

partners they'd had as adults and answered questions that gauge four schizophrenia-related personality

dimensions.

One is the tendency toward "unusual experiences," defined

as atypical thoughts or perceptions, or "magical thinking." This trait, the study found, was more common in serious

artists, and people who scored high on the unusual-experiences front also tended to have more sexual

partners.

The findings, according to Nettle, suggest that unusual

thinking and perceptions, when operating in a healthy person, spur creativity and, in turn, may make a person more

attractive.

"Successful creative types are signaling that they have

unusual mental qualities that can command the attention of others, and as such, they are likely to bear or sire us

children who can do the same," he explained.

Coupled with other

traits, however - such as disorganized thoughts and concentration problems, and social withdrawal -- this feature

may make a person vulnerable to schizophrenia. In this study, these other traits were either unrelated to creativity

and sexual activity or tended to hinder both.

SOURCE: Proceedings of

the Royal Society, November 2005.

koolking1
12-08-2005, 07:37 AM
hmmm, time for me to break

out that old "paint-by-the-numbers" thing I started a few years ago and couldn't finish!!!

Icehawk
12-08-2005, 04:40 PM
A close friend of mine is

autistic. He's also an alpha and a genius. Its completely impossible for him to feel any sort of emotion for any

people. His longest relationship, if you could call it that is about a month. But he sees plenty of different women

all the time. Its just impossible for him to attach to anyone. The article seems to make sense from that

perspective. More research needs to be done however.

DrSmellThis
12-08-2005, 07:23 PM
I suppose some reductionist

will suggest that creative thoughts are only attractive because they reflect higher testosterone levels or

some such thing.

I'm glad the study controlled for other, more debilitating aspects of schizophrenia; but it's

not clear that there is really much in common between creativite, playful, original thinking, and schizophrenia,

which is a debilitating neurological disease. I wonder whether they shouldn't have just left schizophrenia out of

it.

Friendly1
12-08-2005, 11:55 PM
Creative thinking is a survival

skill. From an evolutionary psychologist's point of view, creative thinkers may be more likely to overcome severe

adversity than average thinkers.

a.k.a.
12-09-2005, 11:14 AM
LOL
I've been attracted to

creative types all my life.
Silly me. I always thought it was because they tend to be more passionate, more

empathic, more intuitive, more inclined to take risks, less inclined to follow a herd mentality,less inhibited...

and just plain cool.
Turns out I've been harboring an unconscious drive to father borderline

schizophrenic children.
Isn't science enlightening?!

Mtnjim
12-09-2005, 12:39 PM
" Turns out I've been

harboring an unconscious drive to father borderline schizophrenic children."

I'm sure a couple of years in

therapy will take care of this!! :POKE:

Biohazard
12-11-2005, 12:39 PM
I don't think it's a

correlation with the arts, per se. One can be creative without ever picking up a paint brush. But creativity

overall, I strongly believe leads to better social success. Creative people are instrinsically clever, say humorous

things, have unique personalities that stand out, and therefore easily liked. Combine these traits with the magic

potions you buy from the LS store, and you're a dynamo! I'd dare say these types of people have higher incomes as

well.