PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Consumers Dig Through Trash for Food

belgareth
11-24-2005, 10:39 AM
Anti-Consumers Dig Through Trash for Food By DESMOND BUTLER, Associated

Press Writer

NEW

YORK - Dinner shared by a group of friends at a well-appointed Greenwich Village apartment featured eggplant

Parmesan with a salad of mixed greens and avocado dressing. The guests already had snacked on hors d'oeuvres of

smoked mozzarella and crackers. Not bad considering the diners find their food by digging through garbage.

They call themselves "freegans," a play on the words "vegan"_

vegetarians who avoid all animal products, including dairy — and "free." In an ideological rejection of consumer

waste, they only eat food that's been discarded. And in New York City, at least, they never go

hungry.

"We find more food than we could ever possibly eat," said

Adam Weissman. Just 24 hours before the dinner party, he found a hefty stash outside a gourmet supermarket in

Manhattan: bags of salad nearing the sell-by date, dozens of sandwiches, boxes of Ritz crackers, some nice looking

squash and loaves of still-crisp baguettes.

Although not all freegans

are vegan, they all eat for free. Weissman said that with few exceptions he has not eaten store-bought food, either

at home, in a restaurant or as guest of a friend, in more than 10 years.

Weissman and others say they have mixed feelings about Thanksgiving, which Weissman called "basically a

celebration of excess."

Madeline Nelson, the host of the freegan

dinner party who says she recently left a job in corporate communications at a Fortune 500 company, says she's

concerned about holiday over-consumption.

"We are heading into

wasting season," said Nelson, who's serving a semi-freegan Thanksgiving dinner to her family, including her

83-year-old father.

A study suggests that freegans may have a

point.

Timothy Jones, an anthropology professor at the University of

Arizona, conducted a 10-year study that concluded the country wastes 40 percent to 50 percent of its food. A 1997

U.S. Department of Agriculture study put the loss at 27 percent of total U.S. food production, or 96 billion

pounds of food.

"The number one problem is that Americans have lost

touch with what food is for," Jones said. "We have lost touch with the processes that bring it to the table and we

don't notice the inefficiency."

Some freegans hope to call attention

to food waste by publicizing their unusual lifestyles. Weissman runs a Web site for the freegan community, offering

practical tips, like which city's trash bins yield the best treats in places from Vancouver to

Cincinnati.

For instance, the Giant Gourmet Farmers' Market in

Hackensack, N.J., is a "gold mine," according to the site. But get there early to avoid sifting through discarded

fish.

While these images may churn a few stomachs, some doctors

condone the practice. Dr. Michael Greger, director of public health and animal agriculture at the Humane Society of

the United States, has posted food safety tips on Weissman's Web site.

He says that unopened packaged foods can normally be safely eaten for days after sell-by dates have

passed. But he warns freegans to stay away from meat and seafood, eggs, dairy, sprouts, cut melon, and unpasteurized

cider or juice, which can be susceptible to bacteria. Mold can be trimmed from "hard or firm foods," he says, but

even the brave should stay away from bulging or oozing cans.

"People

have this image of looking into a Dumpster and seeing slimy garbage, but that's just not the case," he said. "At

the same time, food poisoning is no joke, so you have to be careful."

DrSmellThis
11-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Nice thanksgiving post. My

best friend here, and some of her friends, do this sometimes. I don't know how often. I only heard it called

"dumpster diving" here. I couldn't imagine myself participating, unless it was extremely clear that the food was

safe; but certainly admire it, as long as it's not parents endangering their kids in any way.

Happy

thanksgiving, everyone!

belgareth
11-24-2005, 09:31 PM
I see there point as I remember

well how much food the resturant I worked in while in college threw away. With the advent of the food banks that

problem has been reduced quite a bit. Still, throwing away food while other go hungry touches a raw nerve.

Netghost56
11-25-2005, 05:48 PM
I dumpster dive, but not for

food. In a rural area, that's not a good idea. :D

Mostly I get scrap lumber, tools, furniture, once I got a

dozen Pentium II computers, and mostly recently two perfectly useful pairs of chainsaw chaps.

I'd be a kid in a

candy store in a big city dump.

ED: A point in fact, when I worked at KFC, they didn't throw away the chicken at

the end of the day- the manager took it home to his dogs. WE, the other employees, weren't allowed to do this, "for

health reasons". Puh-leaze!